Got a 4" Lift, Shopping for 35" Tires - A/Ts or Highway Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The only issue I had with them was my own fault. I didn’t rotate them for the first 40k miles I had them.

I have NEVER rotated my tires and NEVER had any issues. I think this is something that started here in the U.S. to get more $ out of people.

Same with the 3,000 mile engine oil changes..... I've never heard that before!!!
It's not your great granddad's lawn mower oil anymore.

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only issue I had with them was my own fault. I didn’t rotate them for the first 40k miles I had them. I rotated them, then about 5k miles later I went and had them rotated and balanced, but they were worn so unevenly they wouldn’t balance and I had a horrible vibration above 70, so I got rid of them at 50k miles. They still had over 1/4” of tread on them when I got rid of them, so they still had plenty of life had I not been an idiot and rotated them like I was supposed to.

Mine had about 29,000 on them and looked new when I got rid of them. They rode smooth, just started to have a bit of road noise, worn evenly, but the main issue was I just did not trust them on any wet road.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
theJester517

theJester517

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Thank you guys so much for the responses, I really appreciate it. I live in NY and winter driving does come into account. I would probably order the tires through the dealership my Mom works at so I'm pretty sure I would do decent on price but it is crazy how going from the stock 275/65/20, which is essentially a 33", to a 35" how the price almost doubles. I found a guy selling a set of 35/12.5/20 KO2s with only 4K on them on a set of common Ram 5 spoke chrome rims that are plastidipped for $1500. I might just buy them and bolt them on, I won't like how they look but at least I'll have an idea on noise and ride quality and if I don't like them I'll just resell them, if I do like them, I'll swap them onto my rims and sell the other rims to make back $400 or so.

6.7CumminsDrvr, I really appreciate the pictures and I know you said you love them but how did they compare? Your signature said you had Cooper AT3 XLTs, why did you make the switch to the Defender? My thing is I have the Hemi with the LSD 3.92s, a Magnaflow muffler and I did the Mopar cold air intake with the Mopar ram air intake on the sport hood, I looooooove the way the truck sounds, I want to hear the engine not the tires. I see you went for the 35/12.50 and the only thing I would be missing is the white outlined letters which I guess I can do with a paint marker. I'm still unsure if I'm gonna do body painted fender flares although I do like yours, unfortunately most of them look terrible on the Sport 1 piece front bumper because they don't come all the way down, the one thing I don't want is the tires sticking way out and shooting rocks up and scratching the paint. For that reason I have been looking at the 295/65/20s which are practically the same height but about an inch narrower. Both the Defender and KO2 come in that size, and they're a tiny bit cheaper but it doesn't seem to be as popular. I was also of the mindset a narrower tire would cut down on road noise/mpg loss and besides I could always add fender flares and then decide to add a wheel spacer

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d lowball the guy with the KO2s to around $1100. Those rims aren’t worth crap, and the tires on their own are about $1100 brand new. You won’t recoup the $400 to dismount and remount on a rim of your choice . . . but you’ll get a free set of TPMS that hopefully you can swap as well.

OP
OP
theJester517

theJester517

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I’d lowball the guy with the KO2s to around $1100. Those rims aren’t worth crap, and the tires on their own are about $1100 brand new. You won’t recoup the $400 to dismount and remount on a rim of your choice . . . but you’ll get a free set of TPMS that hopefully you can swap as well.

Oh believe me I was gonna try to talk him down, but realistically tirerack.com has those tires at $380 a piece so a set of 4 is over $1500 before tax. Maybe they used to be cheaper but I guess Covid strikes again with the rubber shortage. I was interested in that set of wheels just in chrome, I personally hate black wheels, maybe I can strip the plastidip off who knows. Heres some photos from his posting, it's about an hour and a half from me to pick them up maybe I'll just bite the bullet this weekend. I'm really hoping they have TPMS installed I haven't tried asking him yet but I must say kudos to Ram for making it so easy to swap tires and have the computer relearn the sensors, I was surprised that when I put on the rebel wheels, the light never even came up on the dash I just started driving and boom tire pressure readings.aaaaaaa.jpg aaa.jpg

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those look pretty decent, still wouldn’t pay full price for mounted tires . . . but that’s me.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@theJester517, I really liked the Coopers, but like any AT or MT, they get loud with age and if they don’t wear perfectly, they really talk to ya and ride like crap. The Defenders are ultra smooth, I forgot just how nice these trucks really ride. They are also a smidge lighter and narrower so combine that with the all season tread my MPG’s are up (just slightly) and it’s just a more pleasant drive. They don’t look as cool but I don’t care anymore. There is so much less NVH coming thru the chassis.......

And not for nothing, they don’t have an aggressive sidewall or tread but dang they are way deeper than you’d think!

DEBB0552-1D7F-4543-B57C-71A64C492D5E.jpeg

BDAE7C70-222E-415A-BA72-DFDBBBF3769E.jpeg

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
...I found a guy selling a set of 35/12.5/20 KO2s with only 4K on them on a set of common Ram 5 spoke chrome rims that are plastidipped for $1500.

I hate buying used wheels, because there's always a reason why they sell it. If they sold the vehicle to it then fine.... but other than that I'm suspicious. But that's just me.

Believe me, YEARS ago I bought used set of AMG rims from ebay and that alone almost qualifies me for a punch in the mouth.
Was I getting what I saw in the ad? Are they okay?
Well, I was lucky. They did arrive, no cracks, no bents and they balanced very well w/o having to use too many weights.

Long story short, be careful.

If you don't absolutely need the wheels, meaning you can drive your vehicle as is, I'd rather save up for something new.
Or a dealer take off... I know Petty's Garage, Hennesey and Saleen are doing that. Perhaps your local dealer does that too?!

OP
OP
theJester517

theJester517

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I hate buying used wheels, because there's always a reason why they sell it. If they sold the vehicle to it then fine.... but other than that I'm suspicious. But that's just me.

Believe me, YEARS ago I bought used set of AMG rims from ebay and that alone almost qualifies me for a punch in the mouth.
Was I getting what I saw in the ad? Are they okay?
Well, I was lucky. They did arrive, no cracks, no bents and they balanced very well w/o having to use too many weights.

Long story short, be careful.

If you don't absolutely need the wheels, meaning you can drive your vehicle as is, I'd rather save up for something new.
Or a dealer take off... I know Petty's Garage, Hennesey and Saleen are doing that. Perhaps your local dealer does that too?!

I agree man but tbh I don't care about the rims, I just like the fact I can bolt them on and try them out without the needing a shop and and a tire machine. If I liked them, then I would go through the trouble of dismounting both sets and mounting the tires on my immaculate rims. If not I take them right off and resell them and the only thing i lost was my time. I definitely would sell the rims one way or another, I want nothing to do with plastidip and I hate the blacked out looked but I'm sure someone would love them. And not to say this is the truth but the guy said in the ad he's selling because he bought bigger wheels which we can all agree is a common issue we all have, I personally was a little disappointed with my 4" lift because it didn't seem that much taller than the leveling kit and thought of going for the 6" but I also had the whole truck undercoated at the same time so I settled...

Minotaur 013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've had great experience with Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms and the Kenda Klever RTs. My 2016 Ram Minotaur came with 35 x 12.5 General Grabbers which is an aggressive off road baja type tire. Noisy on the highway and can few the lugs when slowly moving the vehicle like parking for example. Off road they are absolute beasts! I will be going to the Kenda Klever RTs once these wear out and with just over 21,000 miles it looks like these still have plenty of life left in them so might try and sell them and get the Kendas sooner. LOL

20210320_181930.jpg

d_coyne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I'm super happy with my Continental TerrainContact A/T's. They are a mild AT so gives you a slightly more aggressive look, more capability (they're fantastic in the snow for an all-season) without the road noise (no noticable change from stock) and less than 1 mpg in mileage drop.

20200429_083559.jpg

Chuck962500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
10 ply BFG KO2. They are the best tire. Snow towing highway even pulling stumps .sidewall stays stiff when towing heavy crap.they are nearly never pick up nails.wear even and traction in any surface (but ice)

20210215_171631.jpg

20210121_160549.jpg

Chuck962500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
10 ply BFG KO2. They are the best tire. Snow towing highway even pulling stumps .sidewall stays stiff when towing heavy crap.they are nearly never pick up nails.wear even and traction in any surface (but ice)

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
Toyo's never let me down and they balance easily. I've been running 35-12.50-17 AT2's . Superb tire. I wanted to go down in size and sold them on CL.' I've got some 285-75-17 AT3's now and they are rock solid,low noise and strong. I carry a 2200 # popup on my back 24/7 and they work well.

Jpmucha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
828030EF-9042-457D-ABAC-167C539F5EFF.jpeg
31B21911-82F7-4F0F-AC2A-010FFFD23130.jpeg

Nitto Terra Grappler G2 for me. Second truck I’ve had them on. Not loud and traction is great.

johnwayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 slt
Engine
Unless you are into some heavy off-roading I would stay away from 35's entirely. They may look cool but your fuel economy will suffer a lot. the difference in fuel economy between 33's and 35's is about 2L/100km up here in Canada not sure what mpg conversion but its substantial at the pump when you are supposed to run 89 octane. my buddy has a 17 and I have a 15 both with 4" lift he uses so much fuel he's pissed at his upgrades. HOWEVER if you are an of roader I would personally recommend general grabber atx (I run 33's because of stated above) Also smaller rim the better for off-road it gives you more ability to "crawl" over serious obstacles. There are a lot out there. I chose the grabbers because the carry the mountain snow flake symbol and although not the best on ice they do extremely well in the winter. Hence no tire swap and more money in your pocket. They biggest advantage to offroad tires is they are damn near impossible to get a flat. Shop for 10 ply kevlar or better and anything you run over will not puncture tire like nails, debris ect. Its hard to even stab through then and cannot be slashed easily without a powered saw or drill. This is why they are expensive. ALSO because most people who have trucks do remote things and cannot get to tire shop on spare lol

OP
OP
theJester517

theJester517

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I've had great experience with Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms and the Kenda Klever RTs. My 2016 Ram Minotaur came with 35 x 12.5 General Grabbers which is an aggressive off road baja type tire. Noisy on the highway and can few the lugs when slowly moving the vehicle like parking for example. Off road they are absolute beasts! I will be going to the Kenda Klever RTs once these wear out and with just over 21,000 miles it looks like these still have plenty of life left in them so might try and sell them and get the Kendas sooner. LOL

View attachment 248446

Minotaur did you just buy that white truck? I could have sworn I saw it listed for sale online when I was shopping online looking for my truck