Got a new ram anything I need to know about it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmrylands

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all, New to the forum here. I want to thank everyone in advance. I just acquired a 95 dodge ram 1500 4x4. Has a 360 automatic, standard cab short bed. She ain't pretty, but runs and drives good. The main purpose of it is to haul wood, and get around in the winter. Hopefully I can get it looking better in time. This is the first ram I have owned. What my question is, what kind of problems are common with these, what kind of issues can be hidden, and lurking in wait. Like I said it's the first one I've owned, and plan on keeping it for a while. I just got it today so I want to be able to go through it and check things out and see what's good and what's not. A couple things that I know are issues with it right now are, I can't get it to go into 4 low or neutral, the 4 wheel drive light is on, the gear selector is off (reverse is neutral, ect) and the push button overdrive doesn't work, or light up. I think it has a small lift on it but not sure, don't know if that's causing it to not want to go into 4 low. Any pointers, things to look at, things to watch out for, or if you have any thoughts on the few issues I have with it, I would appreciate the input. I would like to say thanks again for the input. If this has been asked, or discussed before please tell me where.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Blown plenums, bad transmissions, crap steering boxes, bad headlights, headlight and multifunction switches that light melting/blowing up, transfer cases that like grenading suddenly, rear axles that seize (limited slip differential only).

Oh and cracked dashes in a lot of trucks.

For your 4WD issue, I'd be checking to see if the center axle disconnect (CAD) housing on the front axle is engaged. It's possible the PO had rigged it because the vacuum lines went out.

For the OD button, all that does is turn it off. It's already on when the truck starts. If you're traveling at approximately 55mph with light throttle, you should be in OD and the RPMs should be fairly low. In theory, if the button/wiring works, you should be able to push that button and the truck will down shift into 3rd and stay there. If the RPMs don't go up, I'd be suspecting that switch to be busted.

There is a service manual in the DIY section up at the top you can download. It's for a 2001, but a vast majority of everything in it applies for all years.

Welcome to RF and good luck.

OP
OP
Jmrylands

Jmrylands

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks dodge dude for the info. My dash isn't cracked, it's got a hole in it. I knew what the push button over drive did. Didn't know if they went bad commonly, or if the light just stops working. Thanks for the info on the transfer case, I will have to look that over. Hate to be stuck out in the middle of now where because I can't get it to shift into 4 wheel drive.

ChillyPhil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
My light stopped working on my 97. OD still works though. I always turn it off when I hop in my truck. Only time I will turn it on is if I'll be on interstate cruising around 60-65mph.