GPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flynight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2022 Ram 1500 Larmie 7000 miles equiped with 12 inch screen nav/GPS and for lack of a better word it sucks. It will constantly guide me through neighborhoods tell me to make a right, make a right, make a right ,make a left. I have taken it to the dealer and he tells me there are no updates and nothing can be done. Is anybody else have this kind of trouble?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The OEM navigation has been lackluster like that for years, I wouldn't hold out for a fix. Could you imagine if automakers were still pursuing full autonomy driving cars...well that another subject.
The fix is use either AndroidAuto or CarPlay depending on your flavor of smart phone. Being a '22 I think wireless connection is standard but you can still plug it into the USB.
Using AA/CP is light years better than the OEM navigation and you get near real time traffic updates with apps like: Maps, Waze, etc

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2022 Ram 1500 Larmie 7000 miles equiped with 12 inch screen nav/GPS and for lack of a better word it sucks. It will constantly guide me through neighborhoods tell me to make a right, make a right, make a right ,make a left. I have taken it to the dealer and he tells me there are no updates and nothing can be done. Is anybody else have this kind of trouble?

Google maps does the same thing at times. Since it's relatively new. Are you using the live or offline?

I think the onboard nav is only updated yearly, but it could be more often. Think you have pay for it.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I use my Android Auto and feed google maps and waze through it.
Always accurate and updated continually by its own system developers.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Mess around with the map settings and play with routing options like avoiding some types of road, fastest route, economical route, etc. Between the factory NAV, Garmin, Waze, and Google Maps, I like Waze the best for routing, at least in my area which is SE Michigan and Northern Ohio.

haleme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In eastern VA, I have used Google, Garmin and the OEM nav at the same time and they rarely vary from each other. Since my 2018 has never had a map update to the OEM, there are a few exits on I64 that have changed or no longer exist. Just know to ignore the nav and use my brain.

I use the OEM for basic around town nav, Garmin when we tow the TT and Google when OEM and Garmin can't find the destination.

I am starting to find that Google prefers what it calls Eco routes, that will take longer because the truck is going slower to use less fuel.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You aren't the only individual experiencing this horror of a Nav system.

The Nav in my '21 Warlock appears to most often choose the longest, slowest route with the most stop signs for urban areas. Maybe this tiny country where I live doesn't receive enough updates or it's too far away from the Nav company headquarters.

There are many street errors for Ottawa that are 6-8 years old and still not updated.

I live in a rural area South of Ottawa and often use the Nav to guestimate my eta to a destination in and around the city. I'm often amazed when I ignore the Nav and choose my own route at different intersections, and I see a sooner arrival time at every turn.

If the 'dumb as a bag of hammers' Nav system knows that an alternative route is faster, why does it constantly choose the longer, slower route, isn't that the whole point of a GPS system?

When I travel into Ottawa or anywhere else for that matter, the Nav system seems possessed and wants you to tour all these tiny urban streets with many stop signs. I was certain I must have fiddled with the settings, forcing me to travel the slowest route to my destination.

I've scanned everything I can change in settings and nothing is identified as 'Take the longest/slowest route to my destination.'

I've tried Google Maps and for the ability to choose a sensible and direct route, it's awesome.

I have a couple of beefs with it though. The GUI SUCKS!

The map is too small and doesn't present enough data.

I would always choose Google Maps over the OEM Nav system whenever traveling somewhere unknown to me, no question about that.

My other big beef with Android Auto is that it will not work with any non-Google sms app and fails to display my sms messages. It announces a new message has arrived but they're nowhere to be found on the radio controls.

This removing user flexibility and control is a trademark of Android & Google. I hate Google.

Maybe, when I get Alpha-OBDii up and working I can get my sms App to work with Uconnect but I suspect that the Android OS will continue to prevent using any non-Google Apps on the phone while Android Auto is running.

PS; The Nav came with my truck purchased in January 2022 and has received at least 1 update for which I pay no additional fees. It's free to use after the purchase of the truck but completely useless unless you want to travel the scenic route and maximize the amount of fuel used to reach your destination. :rolleyes:

If I didn't live in the boonies, maybe Waze would be an option. If you're not too particular maybe, Google Maps might be an option to consider. Or Waze sounds great for use in big urban centers.

Last edited:

djsapr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 HD 4x4 Laramie | Exterior Billet Silver / Interior Mountain Brown & Light Frost Beige
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
This thread makes me feel better & not feel better at the same time, LOL
My 2019 2500 did an automatic 'software update' recently, and ever since that, the GPS has been s*it.
The system CONSISTENTLY guides me to the "shortest" option and not the fastest option.
Thus, I have spent a great deal of time exploring side streets, billygoat trails, and lanes where residents have installed multiple speed bumps to slow down traffic. The system simply won't take me to the efficient multi-lane streets that lead to the highway. I've repeatedly combed through the settings, to no avail.
Knowing that others are experiencing the same issue makes me happy 'it's not me."
Having this expensive tool for which I pay monthly for the GPS subscription bums me out.