Grille Lights 2021 Rebel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going to add the amber grille lights on my Rebel. So, I watched a popular DIY video and the person in the video tapped into the white with orange wire (on the passenger side parking lamp plug) for the relay's trigger wire. Does anyone know if the white w/orange is the same circuit wire I should use for a 2021? Also, I don't know if it makes a difference but, I'd like to use the driver's side harness since it is located closest to the battery and where I'd mount the relay. I couldn't find a wiring schematic online so I'm hoping someone has done this on a newer model. Thanks.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I would think the wire coding is the same. Regardless, always check it before you cut or splice. For sure, it's okay to use the driver side harness.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Before cutting or splicing, maybe use a fuse tap in the fuse box.

OP
OP
M

Moparzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought of that as well, but from what I could determine there isn't a non-essential location to tap into that is switched on with the key. I don't want to run wires from the engine compartment grille area all the way to the interior fuse box. Additionally, even if there was a location to tap in the engine area fuse box, the tap wire would require cutting the fuse case and give up its water resistance feature. Unfortunately, a lot of the fuses are cartridge style and if the truck did not come ordered with a given option the blade fuse port is not wired.

I would have tapped into the clearance marker lights or any one of the 6 auxiliary ports but they are all blank. Our other truck had the auxiliary switch option and that was a great feature that allowed for easy add-ons.

Hopefully, the white wire with orange tracer is still the marker light feed - if so, that should do fine to activate the relay. I'll use an auto-tap to connect the wire - so no funky cutting or old-school splicing will be necessary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Moparzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In case someone else plans on doing this same mod, I read the white wire w/ orange tracer is only for the passenger side - the correct wire for the driver's side is white w/ brown tracer. I'm going to hook them up this weekend and will update with what works.

*Update* I installed the amber grille lights and mounted the relay on the driver's side - the correct trigger wire for me on the driver's side was the white with brown tracer. IMO the amber grille lights look great.

Last edited:

Barbeuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 electric/gas
By using the white brown tracer on the driver side, do your grille lights turn off when on "Auto" and the headlights come on at night? Currently I have mine hooked up to the DLR wire on the driver side and would like to have them on all the time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963