Harbor Freight tool chests?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Needing to get a tool chest (with wheels) and have been looking at either Yukon or General from Harbor Freight. Will also be getting smaller chest to either go on top of the wheeled chest or may put it directly on a workbench. Anyone with either of these brands who can offer some thoughts/opinions? Thanks.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Hardly any Brands make their own tool chests
Even the Craftsman Boxes were made by Milwaukee

The cheaper the box, the quicker the drawer hardware falls apart

If i was buying a tool box now, i would be going to Swap Meets & Flea Markets & at least look around them for a couple weeks

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The us generals are very good actually, i dont have one my nephew does. Im also looking and like the husky industrial boxes. These 2 use 18 gauge frame while some others use 19,20 or 21
Yukon i believe is 20 or 21 gauge.
How big you looking to get?

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I’ve had boxes of all kinds. Now that I’m not working out of it, there’s no reason to spend top dollar. For home or weekend warriors these will be perfect.

Octane

Reaction score
General are not the same level as some name brand boxes.But for the money I bet you couldnt tell.Except you'll have money to buy more tools if one buys a general. I'd do it in a heartbeat

Dragonsteel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the HF General 4 and 5 drawer mechanic's boxes and they are very good boxes IMO.

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the HF General Pro tool chest, and I can honestly say it is built MUCH better than what you'll find at Lowe's, HD, or Sears. They use double walled steel, and heavy-duty wheels. I've had mine for almost 10 years, and it still works flawlessly.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I recently bought the us general 26x22 roller cabinet (8 drawers) and the 26"top chest(8 drawers).I was impressed with the quality.Completely empty these boxes weigh almost 300 lbs. Pd.$400.00.Snap on would probably cost 6 or 7 times that.Of course snap on is a bit nicer but not $2,000.00 + nicer imo.Both will hold your tools and the drawers will open and close for a long time.

SOLER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I came real close to buying the US General until I saw my friend's Milwaukee roll-aways.

I now have three Milwaukees. Price was great! On sale at home depot. If not for these, I'd own the HF ones.

Daddyhas2boys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We use harbor freight general toolboxes at work, they are good boxes that hold a lot of weight, good bearing slides, ect

Jon Nash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Turbo
I've been a long time HF customer & have numerous boxes for the hanger & shop. IMHO the general's are the best overall bang for the buck. I have the new green 5 drawer on the toy hauler for track days and have a compressor and hose reel on it as well...

Outdoors76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Needing to get a tool chest (with wheels) and have been looking at either Yukon or General from Harbor Freight. Will also be getting smaller chest to either go on top of the wheeled chest or may put it directly on a workbench. Anyone with either of these brands who can offer some thoughts/opinions? Thanks.
i got the yukon and love it. very nice quality for the $

shaginwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have the US General 56" double bank cabinet and 5 drawer mechanics cart. For general DIY home mechanics, they are more than adequate and the price is good for what you get. Just know that if you have them shipped, you will need delivery of large cabinets via a truck with a liftgate.

kingtchr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As long as the drawers have ball bearings then any will work OK. I have a Husky form Home Depot and its fine. I have also has some HF stuff. Its good as well.

Gregory McKinley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque
I work in a 12 story Hospital system as the Electrician and Maintenance tech. They bought us all nice blue General tool boxes to wheel around the hospital in. Been really great. All we needed to do is add a chain to drag the floor to dissipate the static electricity, especially during the dry cool winter months. Boxes have held up to tons of abuse.

Throwin Plugs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Daily use with mine for 3 years, drawers full of heavy tools, works as good as the day I got it. No problems.