Have they ran the 6.4 with the 8 spd up the Ike

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I'm going through the mountains of New Hampshire to Franconia Notch KOA this weekend with my camper; it's a shorter trip at 112 miles, but I've been through the area with my camper attached to my previous truck, a 2016 Ram 1500 with the 8HP70 and 3.21 gears. I expect to see this truck pulling with less struggle and more stability, especially since my last truck had 34" tires on it and this truck has stock size 33's.
The real test will be on our trip from New Hampshire to South Dakota and back this summer with the TT in tow.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have no doubt the 8 speed is better than my 6. The issues to me is the ones that don't tow much and don't anticipate the terrain. I tow 8800# with another 1500 in the bed. I tow a lot in the mountains of Colorado. I see the terrain changes ahead and manually downshift prior to getting there. Keep the RPM's up and avoid the truck from losing momentum. As far as taking off on a slope. Having hauled heavy equipment (tractor/trailer) in Colorado truckers know not to stop on the uphill side of the mountain when loaded. You can have 1000 ft lbs of torque and your going to have a hell of a time taking off.
Manually downshifting prior to the incline makes a huge difference. I also lock it in 4th when on 55 MPH highway so I only need to drop one gear on inclines. I’ve always towed with my gassers that way so the engine is in it’s higher torque region. Even my Chevy 6.0 with that crappy transmission towed pretty good that way.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Andre from TFL just picked up a 2020 ram 2500 Laramie this morning with the 6.4 and 8 speed and he said they will be doing all the videos in the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MXZGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Seen a video on TFL comparing the Ford 7.3 and the Ram 6.4 and they liked the Ford better for now. But no towing yet but I would think in the next couple weeks we will see something going on the IKE with the 6.4 and the 8 speed