Heat disipating differential cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Wondering, does anyone out there run a heat dissipation differential cover? If so, have you took a temp comparison before and after? Towing heavy, wondering if it will be enough difference to warrant the expense?

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
One would think that a vendor of such items would have that data and use it as a selling point. Because they don't, at least I haven't seen any actual "hard data" listed, I have to believe that cooling is minimally improved, and only as a result of the following two or three possible benefits of running such a cover;

1. Most are "deeper", meaning they can carry more fluid. More fluid = extended service intervals and potentially more cooling - until it is ALL warmed up.

2. They are generally stronger than the "stamped tin" covers found on most diffs. Therefore they are less likely to be bent, or worse, punctured or crushed when struck by road debris or hanging up an a obstacle off roading.

3. Often, they run higher quality drain plugs with larger magnets that latch on to more fine metal shavings as the gears or bearing wear in. Some have lower, easier access to said plugs for ease of maintenance, for when you do service the unit.

4. Some are "Finned" like air cooled cylinder heads and MAY shed some heat with just the wind blowing on them going down the road. Though I doubt that a healthy diff would produce great enough heat to cause premature failure of any of the parts inside. Also, the added thickness of the more robust units built for intended serious off road rock crawling abuse may even serve as a bit of a heat sink just by the added wall thickness... until that all comes up to a given temp as well.

5. So, the main thing here, is that they LOOK "Cool". Sure, there is some small mechanical benefits that might be realized after MANY miles of VERY heavy towing and / or slipping of a LSD unit (if equipped). I imagine that a "healthy" unit, with good components, sufficient fluid levels of the proper weight and grade would see little benefit in a aftermarket cover. Specifically just with the intent of dropping the operating temps a few degrees.

Over it's lifetime, you might see a difference in the most extreme use. Other than that, it is only worth it if you think you need it for one of the above other, rather limited (imho) purposes.

And thus, this is only an answer or purchase decision that you, as an individual can make.

:)

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah but they look really cool. :) I pretty much agree with the above, but I'm an extreme case, thus I have one.

2014-08-10-08.10.36.png

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Since you have an 11.5 rear axle if you can find a finned aluminum cover for the 11.8 out of a dually it is a direct swap, you will need the bolts as well. Like said above during normal driving there won't be much difference but when towing a lot of weight it will help dissipate heat.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't see the cooling fins doing anything.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have a Mag Hytec cover on the Dakota and it's a bit overkill. The drain plug has a tiny hex drive that easily strips, not fun. Dipstick is kind of cool but not really necessary.

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
Aluminum transfers heat well, the fins increase surface area by a lot so the heat transfer to air will be greater. I would think there's some benefit temperature wise, however if your diff is heating up enough to cause damage I don't think this will save it.

My theory on these is if I have to remove the cover to do the oil anyway, might as well put on a stronger cover.. haven't looked to see if I've got drain plugs but my truck only has 700 miles so far ;-)

OP
OP
K

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
What I have saw on line, none appear to have the drain plug. Just the fill plug. I am and will be hauling heavy. Did, wish I could remember exactly, take temp readings on the diff after the re gear the first time I towed. That said, didn't tow far or fast when taking the readings and when stopped, made sure that I didn't have a firm load against the gears for about five minutes to avoid having the extreme heat between the ring and pinion teeth. Seems the temps were around 200 deg. plus.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Keep in mind that lubricants are designed to offer their best at temperature, what ever that may be.

Yes they are, but too cool of a fluid won't hurt anything (to a point) but too hot of fluid can do damage in a hurry.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If high temps in the diff weren't bad for your gears, then Ram wouldn't recommend changing the fluid more often if you tow regularly than those who don't.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you need more cooling, I suggest getting an actual diff oil cooler.

You could probably put one together for around the same amount as these diff covers.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What I have saw on line, none appear to have the drain plug. Just the fill plug. I am and will be hauling heavy. Did, wish I could remember exactly, take temp readings on the diff after the re gear the first time I towed. That said, didn't tow far or fast when taking the readings and when stopped, made sure that I didn't have a firm load against the gears for about five minutes to avoid having the extreme heat between the ring and pinion teeth. Seems the temps were around 200 deg. plus.

IMHO, some data logging with an IR heat gun would be good intel!!

In summer, the diff is bathed in a fair amount of external heat, let alone what it generates on its own,,,

I'm no expert, but ~200~ degrees with synthetics shouldn't be a problem,,,

Hardly anyone runs Dino anymore,,,

Anyone else have any temp data???

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
One of the stock finned aluminum cover can be had for under $100.

Well that isn't bad at all.

I was referring more to the aftermarket options.

I'm sure you could pull a diff cooler out of a junkyard car pretty cheap though. You'd just have to find a vehicle that came with one. Installing it wouldn't be hard; there's an abundance of room under these trucks.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well that isn't bad at all.

I was referring more to the aftermarket options.

I'm sure you could pull a diff cooler out of a junkyard car pretty cheap though. You'd just have to find a vehicle that came with one. Installing it wouldn't be hard; there's an abundance of room under these trucks.

You need to pump fluid too, and plum the lines, it would be more pain than it is worth.