Heated Seats, Steering Wheel, Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Fellas,

A few questions; I have a 2014 Ram 1500 5.7L SLT. I'm going for a major upgrade with the premium cluster, tricked-out steering wheel, and heated seats.

1. Heated Seats: Already installed (except for wiring) under custom made LeatherSeats.com replacement upholstery. I need to know:
a. Which wire to tap into so that the controls are on the ignition circuit
b. Can I use the five-button console below the HVAC system to control both seats, instead of drilling into the seats and putting in the cheap switches?
c. Should I run separate circuits for each seat?
d. Or, am I missing the (possible) fact that I can use some of the wiring and tap into it underneath the seats?

2. Heated Steering Wheel with audio control: I have the steering wheel and required clockspring assembly.
a. What else in the way of electronics or module would I need to make this work? I am NOT trying to use the buttons on the touchscreen or anything. It will be one of the five hard buttons below the HVAC system.
b. Again, can the hard buttons below the HVAC system be used for the heated wheel?

3. I'll also be adding an aftermarket backup camera and the premium cluster. I would like to get this all done while I have the dash torn down and the extra accessibility to make these changes.

4. At current, the only buttons in use on the hard buttons are traction control and tow mode.

Thanks in advance; this will be a fun - but extensive project. You guys are golden with your knowledge.

Best,

Maitai

MikeSumthin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Steering wheel - I think you need the correct wiring harness... just go onto Infotainment's website and see what pieces they sell in the kit to verify.
I would just buy the additional button panel off eBay and replace your current one for the hard button use.

Premium cluster - make sure you get one that isn't for a 2013... the TPMS doesn't use the same signal.
You can change the mileage and engine hours by using the AlfaOBD app and a Bluetooth obd reader...

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Mike!
The heated steering wheel will not work unless it's controlled by the factory heated seat module. If you decide to go aftermarket with your heated seats that's 100% fine but you are going to give up several features. The switch panel under the radio is connected to the CAN system in the truck. Whatever you do if you decide to somehow install other switches in the panel do not splice into any of that wiring. As far as ignition on power goes there are a few places you can get it in the truck but the wire guage is not big enough to power aftermarket heated seats. It's simply used as a trigger wire for the relay. You would still need to bring in a fused 12V wire directly from the battery post to the heated seats. As far as clusters go a 13 up will work in a 14 up but a 13 needs a 13 cluster. There is a chance that since your truck is an SLT it has the wiring for heated vented seats. If it has the wiring shown in this picture its pre wired for factory heated/vented seats and heated wheel. If you have this wiring the pink wire with yellow stripe is ignition on run power and the solid red wire is constant 12V power. You can actually purchase a harness from M2mods in the vendor section of the forum that installs exactly as factory if you wanted to add the factory setup but it sounds like you are a little to far along for that. Long story short. You cannot combine the aftermarket setup with the factory setup in any way. They will not communicate with each other. If you want aftermarket you will need to wire it completely separate from the trucks other systems, however If you have the wiring for factory heated seats you could possibly tap into the ignition on run power for your relay trigger and the solid red wire for you aftermarket heated seat power. The heated steering wheel will not work with the aftermarket system because it has no way to regulate the heat. The heated seat module mounted to bottom of the factory heated seat controls all of the heat settings. Last but not least I recommend staying as far away from Infotainment as possible. They copy 90% of what they sell of of this forum, are extremely deceiving and ridiculously expensive. Several members including my dad have had bad experiences with them and their customer service. I went with leatherseats.com as well when I installed my Laramie seats. I installed them myself 4 years ago and they came out perfect and still look like new. You will definitely be happy with them. 8e223adad95d8151aaa1e2ea9fcfd2be.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Mike,

So sorry for the very late reply; I haven't been getting notifications and need to check the settings. First, I believe that wiring is factory setup for heated seats and wheel, but I need to check for sure and will not return home until the 3rd.

If I understand you correctly, my two options are:

1. Use the installed aftermarket heating pads that are underneath the new leather seating. I can use the pink wiring with the yellow stripe to connect my provided aftermarket relay, thereby making it ignition switched, and the red to run the actual power (safely) to the heated seats. If I go that way, I'll need to simply wire heated seat function to the aftermarket switch, which is mounted in a drilled hole on the sides of the seats. This method would require no intermixing of the aftermarket wiring and heated seats. If I do this method, I'm SOL on the heated steering wheel being functional.

2. Buy the harness at M2Mods, but then I still cannot intermingle the aftermarket heated seat parts. Instead, I would need to remove the upholstery and install Ram OEM heated seats; then the heated steering wheel would work because the "brain" is under the seats. I have Alfa OBD and could switch it on from there.

Does this sound correct to you?

Thanks,

Maitai