Heated side view mirrors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the side view mirrors on my 2018 big horn, have the little insignia on it that shows wavy lines creeping up into a little square. I'm assuming that is indicating that they are heated mirrors. But I can't find a darn switch for it. do they just come on automatically with the defrosters?

I don't have a manual with it.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the side view mirrors on my 2018 big horn, have the little insignia on it that shows wavy lines creeping up into a little square. I'm assuming that is indicating that they are heated mirrors. But I can't find a darn switch for it. do they just come on automatically with the defrosters?

I don't have a manual with it.
The mirror defrost is controlled by the heated rear window switch.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Dragonsteel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The mirror defrost is controlled by the heated rear window switch.

OK, then what if you have those heated mirror logos on your mirrors but do not have a heated rear window?

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
My 2018 2500 has a separate button to the right of the fan speed knob, along with a button for the windshield defrost. I think there is also a soft button on the 8.4 system climate control screen if you have it.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Over this summer I have an idea that I am going to try, and make that little symbol in the mirror light up when turned on.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, then what if you have those heated mirror logos on your mirrors but do not have a heated rear window?
They still work with or without the heated rear window. The same switch controls both side mirrors plus the rear window defrost if your truck is equipped with it. The owners manual has a misprint when it explains the function of the switch and the fact that the switch shows the rear window defrost and not the mirrors makes it even more confusing. Another thing to note is the actual heated mirror symbols on the door mirrors don't illuminate when they are activated. Only the little yellow LED on the actual switch illuminates.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I have heated mirrors and do not have a rear window defroster. However, I do have the switch for the rear window defroster. I have been told in another thread ( Might have been Ricks Ram ) that my rear window defrost switch controls the outside heated mirrors. My dealer also states that the outside heated mirrors will not activate unless the OAT is low enough. I cannot attest to the validity of that statement. However, I can say that I have activated the switch in Temps. well below freezing and if I touch the mirrors they do not feel warm. On another vehicle I owned if I did that It would be too hot to keep my hand in contact with the mirror. Dealer insists that my heated mirrors are functioning as designed.
What are other's experiencing? Can you feel the heat in your mirrors when they are activated?

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
I’ve never checked temp either, but they work. They also come on automatically with remote start along with the drivers seat and steering wheel heat, if the outside temp is low enough.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I’ve never checked temp either, but they work. They also come on automatically with remote start along with the drivers seat and steering wheel heat, if the outside temp is low enough.
I have never seen mine develop fogging or worse yet ice.
My heated seat and heated steering wheel will activate without my input when I start the truck. ( No remote start ). Perhaps the mirrors are activating also and I am not aware of it. Tomorrow it will be cold when I start the truck. If the heated seat and heated steering wheel switch light up I will look to see if the rear window defog switch lights up.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have never seen mine develop fogging or worse yet ice.
My heated seat and heated steering wheel will activate without my input when I start the truck. ( No remote start ). Perhaps the mirrors are activating also and I am not aware of it. Tomorrow it will be cold when I start the truck. If the heated seat and heated steering wheel switch light up I will look to see if the rear window defog switch lights up.
If the rear window defog switch doesn't light up on your remote start but you heated seats and wheel do there is something glitching somewhere. They are all supposed to come on together on remote start if it's 40° or less. I have had mine not come on every once in a while for some reason but it's rare. You can also turn them on whenever you want by just pushing the button once your in the truck but it's nice to have the mirrors defrosted before you get in the truck. I'm pretty sure the mirror defrost button will time out after a while and need to be pressed again "at least mine does" so don't wait to long after you start the truck to check. I usually remote start mine and look through the window to make sure everything comes on as it should.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Remember you need to turn the "auto on comfort" in your settings menu on your radio for the Heated/Vented seats and Heated Wheel to come on automatically with remote start or remote srart/ all starts.c468bebb4b6d5faf9fd0ee70e599b924.jpg

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
If the rear window defog switch doesn't light up on your remote start but you heated seats and wheel do there is something glitching somewhere. They are all supposed to come on together on remote start if it's 40° or less. I have had mine not come on every once in a while for some reason but it's rare. You can also turn them on whenever you want by just pushing the button once your in the truck but it's nice to have the mirrors defrosted before you get in the truck. I'm pretty sure the mirror defrost button will time out after a while and need to be pressed again "at least mine does" so don't wait to long after you start the truck to check. I usually remote start mine and look through the window to make sure everything comes on as it should.

OK, help me out here.
Info: 1) I do not have remote start.
2) I do not have a rear window defroster, defogger.
3) I do have a rear defrost switch located right underneath the front defrost switch.
If I manually push the rear defroster switch it will light up.

This morning the OAT was 6* F ( approximately -14* celsius )
When I started the truck, briefly after starting the heated steering wheel and heated driver side seat lights illuminated ( without manual input ) and heat began to be felt in both seat and steering wheel. The rear widow defrost light DID NOT illuminate. After waiting a minute or so the outside mirrors did not feel warm.
I then manually activated the rear window defrost switch. It did light up. After a couple of minutes the outside mirrors still did not feel warm. I activated the front defrost button ( it did light up ) and the outside mirrors still did not feel warm. I do have he wavy lines on my mirrors and my Laramie trim level should have heated outside mirrors. Build sheet search by VIN confirms outside heated mirrors.
Thats about as precise as I can be in describing what I am experiencing.
In all vehicles I have owned with heated mirrors I could feel the warmth on the mirror surface when the heat is activated. As usual, dealer told me mirrors are functioning when I asked about it and truck still had warranty. Warranty does not apply now.
Would someone who has heated mirrors let me know if their rear window defrost switch lights up with a manual start on a cold day? Also, if you place your hand on the mirror glass does it feel warm or even hot to touch?
Thanks folks.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll try to answer this another way. The mirrors should turn on automatically IF you have remote start they won't turn on automatically if You do NOT have remote start. Look at the heated emblems on your mirrors. The image is exactly the same as the image on the rear window/mirror defrost switch. The switch operates the mirrors plus the rear window defogger if you have it.. Your truck 100% has heated mirrors. It's standard equipment on the Laramie. You need to manually turn the heated mirrors on with the switch when you start the truck if you don't have remote start even though your heated seats an wheel do turn on automatically without remote start. The heated seats and wheel are controlled through the settings menu on the radio line the picture I posted. If you added the factory remote start and enabled the correct codes yourself with the Alfa tool or had the dealer add the factory remote start the heated mirrors should turn on automatically if it's under 40° just like your seats and wheel but they aren't connected. In other words they operate separately from each other. If you press the mirror defrost button and the yellow light illuminates and stays on this should indicate that your door mirror heaters are on. As far as how hot they get goes, I've never grabbed mine to see. I can tell you that it takes them several minutes to warm up and I don't think they get so hot that you would notice it like the heated wheel. Im not talking about 1 or 2 minutes.Im.pretty sure it takes at least twice that long. I've actually questioned mine before too but eventually they will clear up. As I stated earlier, I have had at least three different sets of mirrors and they have all worked the same. My question is if the mirrors have ice or condensation on them and you press the button does the ice eventually melt off or does the condensation dry off. I guess what I'm asking is besides the fact that they don't feel hot to you what makes you feel they aren't working? Have you turned them on and seen if the mirrors eventually clear up? As I stated it definitely takes mine a while before You can see the spiral lines start to show through the condensation where the heating element is under the glass I'm not sure what your other vehicle was or how hot they got but they aren't going to be the same in every vehicle. Long story short.
Your mirror button is working properly.

Your heated mirrors will not turn on automatically without the remote start feature. You have to turn them on manually.

All trucks have the same defrost button with or without the heated rear window.

Your truck 100% has heated mirrors.

In most cases if there was a problem with your heated mirror system the yellow LED light in the mirror heat switch would not stay illuminated once pressed.

Last edited:

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Ricks Ram,
I only mentioned not having remote start to clarify as you kept referring to it. I do not expect my mirrors to turn on automatically below 40* like the drivers seat and the steering wheel.
I was just trying to be very precise in my explanation of what I am experiencing.
I have not had fog, mist or ice on my mirrors. Truck is always under a fitted cover or in a garage.
Reading your last post it sounds to me like I am being impatient as well as expecting the mirrors to get warmer than they actually do. i.e. enough to feel it with a bare hand. In previous vehicles I could feel the heat with my bare hands. We are expecting crappy cold weather this week. I might just spray some water on the mirrors to see if I can get it to freeze. Then I will turn on the heated mirror switch and patiently wait for results.
Thanks for all your input.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ricks Ram,
I only mentioned not having remote start to clarify as you kept referring to it. I do not expect my mirrors to turn on automatically below 40* like the drivers seat and the steering wheel.
I was just trying to be very precise in my explanation of what I am experiencing.
I have not had fog, mist or ice on my mirrors. Truck is always under a fitted cover or in a garage.
Reading your last post it sounds to me like I am being impatient as well as expecting the mirrors to get warmer than they actually do. i.e. enough to feel it with a bare hand. In previous vehicles I could feel the heat with my bare hands. We are expecting crappy cold weather this week. I might just spray some water on the mirrors to see if I can get it to freeze. Then I will turn on the heated mirror switch and patiently wait for results.
Thanks for all your input.
That's actually a good idea if it's something you want to verify. To be perfectly honest I've had mirrors on other vehicles get warm much faster than they do on the Ram and they don't really seem to get that hot but they do eventually warm up. There are many times I leave my driveway after warming the truck up and they are still not all the way defrosted. I've never actually touched them to see how hot they get but I don't think it's very much. I'm pretty sure that yours are actually working and if you figure out a way to get a little frost on them or condensation and turn on your mirror defrost they should clear up if you give them some time.