side view mirror replacement options 2023 classic warlock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
Hi Tony,
Yes its behind the radio unfortunately

1698287982918.png

Perhaps someone from PA can recommend a shop that is familiar with Ram's so we can get this sorted out.

- Benny

OP
OP
T

Tony15068

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 24V
This is what I think may be the showstopper for me.

The email reply I received from OBDLink.com about the compatibility issue with my 2023 included this statement.

It is a good idea to disconnect the bypass before visiting your dealer as the dealer tools will fail with the bypass installed.

Let's say that I can find an auto repair shop that will install the bypass cable which will allow me to connect the OBDLink MX+ and use either AlfaOBD or JScan to enable the PF Mirrors.

Pennsylvania has an annual state inspection and in certain areas such as where I live, an annual emissions test is also required. Would either of those procedures require the use of any "dealer tools" that OBDLink.com cautions about in that statement?

That would require me to take the truck back to the auto repair shop and pay them to have the bypass cable removed. TBH, I don't even have a problem with that but, if there ever happened to be a scenario where the truck was in need of some kind of warranty repair, and the dealership had cause to perform a "factory reset", wouldn't the PF Mirrors get set back to the factory default condition of "disabled"? If that's the case, I'd be back to square one.

Given that the 1500 Classic is such a mature platform, I happen to think the likelihood of any kind of warranty repair requiring a reset back to factory default settings would be highly unlikely. In all the time I've had older model year 1500 Classics, I've never had a warranty repair.

So, can anyone confirm if the state inspection and emissions test requires the use of any "dealer tools" that might fail because a security bypass cable is installed? If that's the case I'll pay to have the bypass cable removed after enabling the PF Mirrors and take my chances on the unlikely scenario of a warranty repair requiring a factory reset. If the bypass cable won't interfere with the state inspection and emission test, then that's all the better.

I have an opportunity through a contact who turns out is good friends with the owner of a Ram dealership. The owner's son manages their service department so hopefully I'll be able to get some of these questions answered and clarified today or tomorrow.

What a wild ride this has been.

Also wanted to mention how helpful and supportive Benny from @AllMoparParts.com has been throughout this journey.

Last edited:

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
Tony from my understanding the bypass cable is removed after the option is activated and does not stay in the vehicle.

-Benny

OP
OP
T

Tony15068

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 24V
@AllMoparParts.com

@G-Ride990

@Mpgrimm2

Well, no joy at the dealership this morning. :Frustrated:

My guess is it’s the same story as last time in that there is no sales code associated with my VIN for power folding mirrors.

Looks like the only option is DIY.

Need some guidance and clarification before I commit.

Mike ( @Mpgrimm2 ), can you please point me to the correct bypass cable on your website that I'll need and confirm that the cable is installed behind the knee kick plate per the instructions you pointed me to at the kaodtech.com website?

IIRC, I think I asked someone here if on Gen 4 classic's, the bypass cable can remain installed and that it won't (or shouldn't) interfere with routine scans like the annual Pennsylvania State Inspection and Emissions test.

Can I get further confirmation or clarification on that?

Aside from the two connectors that attach to the CAN terminal block(s), per the kaodtech instructions, you disconnect the factory OBD cable, plug one end of the bypass cable into the factory OBD port (slot), and then plug the factory OBD connector into the other end of the bypass cable.

So, will factory and other standard diagnostic tools be able to plug into the OBD port with the bypass cable in place?

I guess what I'm asking is if the bypass cable is "transparent" insofar as dealer service centers and auto repair shops plugging their diagnostic tools into the factory OBD port at the knee kick plate with it installed?

They won't even realize the bypass cable is installed, because the actual OBD port they access is exposed at the knee kick plate, correct?

And if the bypass cable is neatly cable-tied and tucked under the knee kick plate, they will never know it's there, right?

If OTOH, the bypass cable will cause conflicts with routine scans and maintenance or prevent standard diagnostic tolls from being plugged into the factory port then I guess I'll have to remove it.

Also had a question about AlfaOBD's compatibility with Windows 10 PC because I have an iPhone 15. Posted that question in the Alfa thread (post #14561).

Thanks to all of you for all the help.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Spoke with Tony by phone ... Hopefully got everything cleared up for him.

OP
OP
T

Tony15068

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 24V
This morning I ordered the bypass harness from kaodtech.com and the OBDLink MX+ from Amazon.

Hopefully on my way to power folding mirror bliss. :D

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
This morning I ordered the bypass harness from kaodtech.com and the OBDLink MX+ from Amazon.

Hopefully on my way to power folding mirror bliss. :D

I hope so too, Appreciate your patience.

- Benny

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517