Heating / climate problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake Mitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
I just signed up to post this question. Is it ok to discuss Dakotas here? Obviously these are "Ram" forums. If not please just point me to a place for help. Thank you.

2006 Dakota, 3.7L v6. Last year I lost the ability to switch my airflow from straight vents to any other path - defrost, mixed, floor. When I turn my selector knob it sounds like plastic gears raking against each other, or maybe the sound of the teeth of a plastic comb raked across something else plastic. I figured there was an actuator or door of some kind that was stuck or failing. I think I've read that being the "mode door." (?)

Then a few days ago - just as this arctic weather front hit - I lost all heat. The temp control knob has very little to no effect, regardless of position. I've been driving in sub-20F temps with no heat at all, and suddenly getting this fixed is a priority! lol

I've read about blend doors and mode doors. I'm pretty mechanical, having done many repairs myself - things like alternators, radiators, fan clutch, ball joints, plugs, brakes, belts. My biggest challenge is not always having that *right* tool (looking at you Fan Clutch!), and of course I'm not set up well. Just a carport and some lighting.

What's the likely fix, and can I likely do it myself? I know no one can say for sure. Just asking for opinions.

thank you,

jake