Help! 1991 w150 tie tie rod end.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pallen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok guys I just bought a 1991 w150. I replaced wheel bearings and seals last week, and while removing the passenger tie rod end i damaged it beyond being able to re-use it. I though it was no big deal, and I would just order a new one. Mistake. I have received 4 different tie rod ends. Either wrong thread size, or reverse thread. The end I removed is a moog problem solver with left hand threads. I cant seem to find this anywhere. Please give me some insight. Every part I find for the right hand side (passenger) calls for right hand thread. Is it possible these things are on Backwards?? THanks for the help!!

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
.. Well since I owned a parts store for 30 years . I no longer have my parts store but Now I work for a Freight liner satellite store.
But I started in the business in 1967..
I Say take your old part to a real parts store . Auto Zone & O'Reallys are mostly jokes .
so I say go to a NAPA or a carquest .
Mine was a Parts Plus store. But not many of us.
.. One of the better parts stores should be able to find your part & search it out before just ordering & getting you another wrong parts.
.. Most good stores have IPM's.
Illustrated Parts Manual . & That should tell all the information needed for any part.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
It’s also possible in a vehicle that age that prior repair did involve use of incorrect parts.

Reversing the ends on a tie rod can be an easy mistake. And 4x4’s sometimes take trail damage and people make do with whatever they can get their hands on in the moment.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
Have you checked the rockauto catalog? They list most part sizes/specs, to compare with the part on your truck.

Moog also has a size reference chart:
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/universal_outer_tie_rod_ends.asp

One of the tricks with tie-rod end part numbers is the L & R thread versions often only differ by one digit. Like ES2847RT and ES2848LT.