HELP 2005 5.7 Overheating at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnbrown8907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Truck overheats at idle. I noticed it while going down the road a couple days ago. I thought it was the thermostat so I changed it. Got in it today for the first time since then and it’s still doing it. Is it the fan clutch? The heater temp is also fluctuating with the engine temp. I’ve read about doing an electric conversion for better performance. If it is the fan clutch could I go with that route?

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles are on the engine? When is the last time the cooling system was flushed and/or the water pump replaced?

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Do you have the fan shroud on it ? You should feel some resistance on the fan clutch if you turn the fan. IF not replace the fan clutch.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Fan clutch. With it idling take a rolled up news paper and safely try to stop the fan with it. If it stops the fan from spinning the fan clutch is bad.

brental1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the AC condenser fan (electric). There's a hack to cut an inch out of the shroud so you don't have to remove the AC lines.

5times_the_charm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter him
I’m guessing fan clutch which I would replace the water pump the tensioner pulley the idler pulley and serpentine belt or possibly need to burp the coolant. At least be sure to check all the parts I mentioned cause the fan clutch seams to go and takes the water pump with it or Visa versa and the belt tensioner can be the cause and sense I usually lump those 3 together I throw in the idler pulley and belt with it just for piece of mind