Help! Broken wheel studs and cv axel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leeper719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all

Looking for some insight and possibly some insight on what I have been dealing with on my truck

Specs
2014 ram 1500
130k miles
Lifted 4" rough country lift
Fuel hodtage wheels 20x12 wheels -44 offset
35 inch tires

Now the fun begins, lift was installed around 3 years ago at 80k miles and had no issues until recently.

First issue
Front right Wheel broke off truck - sheered all 5 studs right off

Second issue
Few months later Passenger wheel - 3 broken wheel studs

Third issue
Passenger cv axel - sheered the axel/nut clean off at the hub

My guess is the oversized wheels are starting to show effects on the truck, I may have gone too long on tire rotations and may have had some the lug loosen up causing the wheel to fall off but it's not confirmed.

Anyone else experience this? 20230207_153722.jpg20230207_181649.jpgFB_IMG_1673990493758.jpg

atreides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's the width and offset on those wheels? They look good but they may be exerting too much force on the hubs and studs. Complete bearing and hub assemblies are pretty cheap and easy to swap out, might be worth throwing in new ones every couple years as preventative maintence?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I learned the hard way, that running deep dish wheels on the front is OK if you just ride in parades.
If you drive it like you stole it, you need to stock up on premier quality bearings

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Get rid of the rims and go with something that actually functions well, instead of looks pretty.
Pretty enough to catch everyone's eye is, generally, High Maintenance and cost a bunch to keep Happy.
Learn this lesson, now, before you find a Wife.

Sometimes, you do get lucky, and find the exception, but it is Thee Exception.

OP
OP
L

leeper719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's the width and offset on those wheels? They look good but they may be exerting too much force on the hubs and studs. Complete bearing and hub assemblies are pretty cheap and easy to swap out, might be worth throwing in new ones every couple years as preventative maintence?

They are 20x12 with a -44 offset

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You pretty much nailed your problem all on your own. If you keep the Rims, be prepared to fix the stuff you need to. Nothing inherently wrong with doing that, we all buy pickups for different reasons. Taking my car out for track days costs WAY more than using it as a daily driver, I know that and do it anyhow.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Sounds like the problem to me also. Quick example: Grab a straight broom by the handle up close to the broom head, put your hand at your side, and just hold it. Now do the same thing but hold it at the very end of the handle -furthest from the broom head. Supporting that same broom (or in your case wheel/tire compo) extended out take more strength. That is what you are asking the studs and bearings to do.

atreides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12 wide with a -44 offset is pretty aggressive, you’re losing an inch of width inboard of the hub and gaining 4 inches outboard of the hub which definitely stresses your hub and studs.

Your truck looks like a show/marketing truck though, I would just add hubs as annual or bi-annual preventative maintenance. I’m running 2 inch spacers on factory chrome clads with 37s so I plan on replacing my hubs again in a couple years too.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP, did you replace the hubs before? I would go with as HD of hubs as you can get next time (same as axles).

It does look nice though :waytogo: