Help choosing a lift kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I’m looking for a lift kit for my 14 Ram. It’s 2WD and I’m kinda stuck between the RC 4 inch and the Maxtrac. I’m not interested in putting 37’s on it, so I’m not going up to 6”. Any suggestions on which one and why?

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maxtrax is a great kit!..........but i went RC 4" because it was an easier install for DIY ....... have had it for 2yrs w/no problems & rides like stock!

20190302_130102-jpg.157802

OP
OP
NJ_TN Ram

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Maxtrax is a great kit!..........but i went RC 4" because it was an easier install for DIY ....... have had it for 2yrs w/no problems & rides like stock!

20190302_130102-jpg.157802
Looks great. I originally was gonna go with Maxtrac until I kept looking and looking. Once I stumbled upon the RC I wasn’t so sure on what I wanted. I’m not getting it for off-road purposes. Just to give the truck a little more height. I’m easing more towards the RC but I keep reading about Maxtrac being the best option for 2WD.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah....... I think you will be fine either way

good luck with whatever you decide on!

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I’m looking for a lift kit for my 14 Ram. It’s 2WD and I’m kinda stuck between the RC 4 inch and the Maxtrac. I’m not interested in putting 37’s on it, so I’m not going up to 6”. Any suggestions on which one and why?

Rough Country is like buying the store brand products. Maxtrac is the go to for 2wd. I own a shop in south east PA we do not install anything rough country due to their poor quality. They are hit or miss that is why you have good reviews on them and you have horror stories as well. Not worth it for the small money saved

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maxtrac is the way to go for sure! Let me know if you would like a quote on anything. We offer Maxtrac and can offer you a great price.

HStone33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a Maxtrac lift on my Titan and loved it. I don’t have that on my Ram being 4wd but I like their products!

OP
OP
NJ_TN Ram

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Maxtrac, also a vendor on here.
Both mine were, LOVED the ride.

View attachment 227156

View attachment 227157

Definitely go with Maxtrac and the Fox shocks all around

Rough Country is like buying the store brand products. Maxtrac is the go to for 2wd. I own a shop in south east PA we do not install anything rough country due to their poor quality. They are hit or miss that is why you have good reviews on them and you have horror stories as well. Not worth it for the small money saved

Maxtrac is the way to go for sure! Let me know if you would like a quote on anything. We offer Maxtrac and can offer you a great price.

I had a Maxtrac lift on my Titan and loved it. I don’t have that on my Ram being 4wd but I like their products!
So it looks like Maxtrac is consensus favorite. What’s the difference in the Fox shocks and the Maxtrac shocks? Besides the $300 difference in price, is there that much of a difference? Are Fox shocks for off-roading? If so, I’m fine with the Maxtrac shocks. The most off-roading I’ll be doing is perhaps on a gravel road or pulling a trailer across my land.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I agree with @HStone33 its small money in the grand scheme. Fox has the reputation for a reason for their shocks. If you can spend it now great if you can't you can always upgrade later but at a higher cost. (you'll save around $100 when purchased with kit as opposed to ordering them later)

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with the above statements. The Maxtrac shocks are similar to a stock shock where the Fox is an upgrade/premium shock. You will notice a difference off road with the Fox and even though it may not be as pronounced as off road you WILL notice a difference in ride comfort on road. Especially if you have some rough roads or highways with expansion joints. For the small difference in price I would recommend the Fox shocks but I can understand if its not in the cards right now. The Maxtrax shocks don't ride bad its just that the Fox shocks ride better.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
My white had stock replacement shocks, and then upgraded to the Fox later, to me, rode even better. Worth it.

20190511_143225.jpg

OP
OP
NJ_TN Ram

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ok. Thanks for the advice. Maxtrac lift with Fox shocks it is. Not comfortable with messing with certain components of a vehicle. So now I just have to find a shop to install it. Lighting, electronics, oil changes, minor engine repairs, that’s my field. I’ve never tried to do anything with suspension myself. Watched quite a few YouTube videos on lift kit installs and I don’t wanna mess anything up. Not to mention how time consuming it looks.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I had a 4x4 shop near me install, think it was like $600?

OP
OP
NJ_TN Ram

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I had a 4x4 shop near me install, think it was like $600?
Hmmm...so about $2000 for the kit and install. Well, that’s about how much I was gonna spend on new wheels and tires. I guess if I’m gonna do it then I should do it right and invest good money into it.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Hmmm...so about $2000 for the kit and install. Well, that’s about how much I was gonna spend on new wheels and tires. I guess if I’m gonna do it then I should do it right and invest good money into it.

Are you in NJ?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I was worried about the ride quality because I was going to be lifting mine 7"s, when I picked up my truck after the install with the 37s and on my way home I was like WOW ! It drove and felt better than stock with the fox shocks and had no doubts it was the right move and completely satisfied ... it's been now 2 years since I have had my truck lifted and it still rides smooth as ever .... you wont regret getting the fox shocks