Help choosing a lift kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm...so about $2000 for the kit and install. Well, that’s about how much I was gonna spend on new wheels and tires. I guess if I’m gonna do it then I should do it right and invest good money into it.

Is this what you're talking about for $1400 Maxtrac 4.5/3" ? upload_2020-11-14_10-28-54.png

If so, then Compare to RC 4"
upload_2020-11-14_9-39-7.png

Maxtrac 4.5" kit you get
front spindles
front extended brake lines
rear springs
rear TB relocation bracket
rear sway bar relo brackets

With RC 4" kit you get
front spindles
front brake line extension brackets
rear brake line extension brackets
rear bump stops
rear spacers
rear extended sway bar links

Leaving the shocks asides, i'll ask our peers what in the RC kit will give you troubles?

I see Maxtrac have more options for springs/shocks so if you wanted to go higher they have done the home work for you and that could be your added extra value. Maxtrac spindles could be better built but are you using them in such a way to warrant whatever they offer for you?

I could see the added value in the Maxtrac 7" lift for example as opposed to the RC 6"
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/maxtrac-7-vs-rough-country-6-suspension-lift-2wd.115331/

Can you get the RC 4" without the N3 shocks and shave money from the final price ? If so you can add the Fox shocks separately.

i'm sure some here could elaborate a little more than just "RC sucks".. you're not installing big front top spacers with skinny flanges or control arms with crappy bushings. I could see RC sucking in this areas. I wouldn't want RC control arms myself or front top spacers regardless of the vendor.. but the RC 4 in this instance for the 2WD truck seems basic enough it's difficult to see how the other basic one will out handle it, again leaving shocks outside of the equation, unless you count an extra 1" front and rear more and a rear TB relo bracket to be $600-$1000 worth it more.

Have fun.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Is the money saved for the rough country kit worth the roll of the dice if you have to pay a shop to redo it “IF” it’s one of their kits that have or cause issues? As we all know everything costs more the second time you do it. I don’t get into the 2wd stuff much so I don’t know the quirks but I do know I have seen a lot of disappointment in people’s eyes when rough county was installed elsewhere and brought to me.
You hear both sides some have great experiences others have horror stories that is not worth the risk IMO

OP
OP
NJ_TN Ram

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Is this what you're talking about for $1400 Maxtrac 4.5/3" ? View attachment 227453

If so, then Compare to RC 4"
View attachment 227430

Maxtrac 4.5" kit you get
front spindles
front extended brake lines
rear springs
rear TB relocation bracket
rear sway bar relo brackets

With RC 4" kit you get
front spindles
front brake line extension brackets
rear brake line extension brackets
rear bump stops
rear spacers
rear extended sway bar links

Leaving the shocks asides, i'll ask our peers what in the RC kit will give you troubles?

I see Maxtrac have more options for springs/shocks so if you wanted to go higher they have done the home work for you and that could be your added extra value. Maxtrac spindles could be better built but are you using them in such a way to warrant whatever they offer for you?

I could see the added value in the Maxtrac 7" lift for example as opposed to the RC 6"
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/maxtrac-7-vs-rough-country-6-suspension-lift-2wd.115331/

Can you get the RC 4" without the N3 shocks and shave money from the final price ? If so you can add the Fox shocks separately.

i'm sure some here could elaborate a little more than just "RC sucks".. you're not installing big front top spacers with skinny flanges or control arms with crappy bushings. I could see RC sucking in this areas. I wouldn't want RC control arms myself or front top spacers regardless of the vendor.. but the RC 4 in this instance for the 2WD truck seems basic enough it's difficult to see how the other basic one will out handle it, again leaving shocks outside of the equation, unless you count an extra 1" front and rear more and a rear TB relo bracket to be $600-$1000 worth it more.

Have fun.
That’s kind of what I was torn about between the two. If the RC is that bad of a product that even the basic 4” kit wouldn’t suffice. If the Maxtrac is not necessary if I’m doing little to no off-roading at all. I understand how some products can be luck of the draw. Happens with most of the things you buy. But if Maxtrac is that much more superior, then I’m fine with spending the money.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
That’s kind of what I was torn about between the two. If the RC is that bad of a product that even the basic 4” kit wouldn’t suffice. If the Maxtrac is not necessary if I’m doing little to no off-roading at all. I understand how some products can be luck of the draw. Happens with most of the things you buy. But if Maxtrac is that much more superior, then I’m fine with spending the money.

The extra money works. With Maxtrac you’re getting stainless braided brake lines in the front (rc gives you relocation brackets) so there is an extra $100ish they also give you rear coils instead of rc giving you a spacer that’s $200ish to buy all these separately and piecing a rc kit together you’ll end up making a maxtrac kit

OP
OP
NJ_TN Ram

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The extra money works. With Maxtrac you’re getting stainless braided brake lines in the front (rc gives you relocation brackets) so there is an extra $100ish they also give you rear coils instead of rc giving you a spacer that’s $200ish to buy all these separately and piecing a rc kit together you’ll end up making a maxtrac kit
Thanks for the info. With you being someone who’s had to deal with the two, I would consider you a credible source. Got a couple holiday bonuses coming my way, so I may as well go all out. Would you happen to know if a 22x12 wheel with about a -25 offeset on 35” tires would fit after the 4.5 lift with no trimming or scrubbing?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Thanks for the info. With you being someone who’s had to deal with the two, I would consider you a credible source. Got a couple holiday bonuses coming my way, so I may as well go all out. Would you happen to know if a 22x12 wheel with about a -25 offeset on 35” tires would fit after the 4.5 lift with no trimming or scrubbing?

ahhh now you’re going to make me do math ? LOL

maxtrac kit increases track width so I’ll need to look it up

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@NJ_TN Ram whats your year and trim?
Also the wheel you were looking at the norm for a 12 wide is -44 so just want to make sure what you want is available

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJ_TN Ram

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
@NJ_TN Ram whats your year and trim?

I have a 2014 Express Crew, and honestly I don’t know much about wheel offsets and tire sizes. This is my first truck and I never liked the “monster truck” look before now. But it’s definitely growing on me. Those were just close to some sizes I saw someone else have. I think they had 20”. I already have the stock 20” wheels that I sprayed black, so I wanna go bigger.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I have a 2014 Express Crew, and honestly I don’t know much about wheel offsets and tire sizes. This is my first truck and I never liked the “monster truck” look before now. But it’s definitely growing on me. Those were just close to some sizes I saw someone else have. I think they had 20”. I already have the stock 20” wheels that I sprayed black, so I wanna go bigger.

If you want the wheels out past the fenders your tire size can’t be that big. The bigger the tire the meatier the truck looks you don’t want rubber band tires for many reasons biggest being the ride.
Doing an 18” wheel with a 35 looks healthy but a 22” on a 35 still have side walls Post some pictures of styles you like and I’ll match it.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

everyone has their own taste so it helps to see what interests you and maybe I’ll throw my spin on it
Wheel offsets are very confusing when you try to read about it. When it clicks it’s simple if you know what the factory offset is. It’s simple math

oilslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn Built to Serve edition
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
I like using that website "Willtheyfit.com" to compare wheel and tire sizes to the OE ones.

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Just gonna throw my 2 cents out there, I have installed 3 Rough Country 6" lift kits on 3 different trucks and never had any issues. Last was on my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 and I was running 35"x12.5"x17" also with no issues. I did install them all myself, it really isn't that hard, just get an alignment as soon as you put it back on the ground.Do make sure to get the correct backspacing for the wheels you want to run. I ended up adding a 1/4" spacer because I bought the wheels and tire before I installed the kit.
Here is how it sat, nice and level.

20150902_120407.jpg

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Just gonna throw my 2 cents out there, I have installed 3 Rough Country 6" lift kits on 3 different trucks and never had any issues. Last was on my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 and I was running 35"x12.5"x17" also with no issues. I did install them all myself, it really isn't that hard, just get an alignment as soon as you put it back on the ground.Do make sure to get the correct backspacing for the wheels you want to run. I ended up adding a 1/4" spacer because I bought the wheels and tire before I installed the kit.
Here is how it sat, nice and level.

View attachment 227890

rough country used to be decent, only in recent years did their quality severely plummet. It’s almost like they are building kits on computer programs and not testing them on real trucks. I’ve seen some really janky set ups that saved a little money up front and cost them a lot more money and aggravation in the long run. I can say that their lift kits do not have as many problems as their leveling kits. I’m glad that you had good experiences with their products

OP
OP
NJ_TN Ram

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
rough country used to be decent, only in recent years did their quality severely plummet. It’s almost like they are building kits on computer programs and not testing them on real trucks. I’ve seen some really janky set ups that saved a little money up front and cost them a lot more money and aggravation in the long run. I can say that their lift kits do not have as many problems as their leveling kits. I’m glad that you had good experiences with their products
That’s funny. I actually heard the opposite. I’ve heard people say that RC used to be crappy but their products have gotten better lately. I guess it’s just depends on what you get. Anyway, I appreciate the input from everyone. It looks like I’m gonna be going with Maxtrac though.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
That’s funny. I actually heard the opposite. I’ve heard people say that RC used to be crappy but their products have gotten better lately. I guess it’s just depends on what you get. Anyway, I appreciate the input from everyone. It looks like I’m gonna be going with Maxtrac though.
I would like to see a less expensive reliable option. But back in the 90’s early 2000’s we didn’t see as many issues as we do now.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya may not see a cheaper option which is probably why ya hear people say ya get what ya pay for also. I know from decades of owning Jeeps Rough Country is pretty much used by rookies and as you get more experience they tend to replace the RC parts with better equipment . Knowing that I just avoid RC on anything and not pay attention to what the latest rumors are and stick with brands that have always had a good rep .

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Ya may not see a cheaper option which is probably why ya hear people say ya get what ya pay for also. I know from decades of owning Jeeps Rough Country is pretty much used by rookies and as you get more experience they tend to replace the RC parts with better equipment . Knowing that I just avoid RC on anything and not pay attention to what the latest rumors are and stick with brands that have always had a good rep .

thats what I preach. I try to educate a little when possible, we swap enough rough country out to see the trends. Believe me, my shop is ran from reputation not advertisements so when I tell people they need a different part when they come with squeaks and weird alignment specs they are not that happy. I have to educate them on the get what you pay for theory and then it costs more the second time you do it no matter what. But once the work is done they become a customer for life.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJ_TN Ram

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7

thats what I preach
Yeah, I’ve been doing quite a bit of research over the past weeks and there’s something about Maxtrac that just feels right. I could definitely save money on the RC lift that would leave more to spend on wheels and tires. But what good are wheels and tires if the suspension is crappy? Seeing as how I have not read a single negative review on Maxtrac, I feel more comfortable going that route. I’ll worry about saving money and cutting corners on pure cosmetic mods.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Yeah, I’ve been doing quite a bit of research over the past weeks and there’s something about Maxtrac that just feels right. I could definitely save money on the RC lift that would leave more to spend on wheels and tires. But what good are wheels and tires if the suspension is crappy? Seeing as how I have not read a single negative review on Maxtrac, I feel more comfortable going that route. I’ll worry about saving money and cutting corners on pure cosmetic mods.

like I mentioned before the Maxtrac money adds up it’s not apples to apples. Maxtrac is giving you coils instead of spacers and braided brake lines that’s $400 right there. It’s a far superior kit and you’re making the right choice. But don’t look at it as you’re over paying for something you could get cheaper