Help! ~ Connecting Garmin GPS/Dashcam to Powered Rearview Mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OliverK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a GARMIN DriveSmart 55 GPS unit (could also apply to dashcam) that I want to connect to the power source in my powered rearview mirror. I would like to mount the GPS to windshield close to the Rearview Mirror location. I believe the Power source coming from the mirror is 12v which I will need to convert to the required 5V input for the Garmin unit? I am concerned if I direct connect to the mirror power source, I would not be able to control how the unit is powered on/off. Could you offer any insights or guidance on how to configure this correctly?

Questions (3):

1. Is there a way to Power the GPS from the mirror connection so that it "turns off" when the "engine is off"

2. Do you recommend using the windshield suction cup mount or is there a better method to mount the GPS/Dashcam in a fixed location on the windshield? Is there a kit that also inlcudes the correct size adapter to plug into the Garmin GPS unit so that I can quickly remove or reattach the unit as desired for added security?

3. Can you recommend a 12v to 5v converter that is not too bulky?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Your going to need a dc converter, it is bulky compared to the area you are working. I would instead put unit up in corner of windshield and run power up A-pillar if you want it up high. You could use a 3.5 mm female plug in the pillar cover and make a plug cable for the unit. Good luck