Help decide between two Rams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dltigers3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all,

I’m about to become a first time Ram owner, but I’m having trouble deciding between two truck. One is a 2017 v8 with 69k miles for 27k. The other is a 2016 v8 with 124k miles for 21k.

Both trucks have all the features I need, but the 2016 is a Laramie and the 2017 is a big horn. The Laramie looks nicer, has leather, and is much cheaper, but I am slightly concerned about the mileage. I am planning on keeping this truck for 10 years and giving it to my son. I drive about 9k miles a year.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
welcome!

Man Id look around, I bought my 2019 Classic, brand new for $33k...

between the two, take the Bighorn, lower miles...the Laramie has a better trim, but if you want it for 10 years, take the lower miles, IMHO.

567798315.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dltigers3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve been looking around for a couple months. The problem is I want crew cab, 4wd, and the Rambox. Finding that combo has been the issue.

I just didn’t know if the Laramie would be good since those miles have got to be mostly highway

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I wouldn't touch any Ram with the Eagle Hemi any it with those high a miles for even half that amount. I would hold out for something with less than 40K miles even if it took a while. For me personally I like to be able to look back at those oil change logs and know exactly what's been put in there pretty much from day one.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Miles are nothing if the service records aren't there. Compare both trucks' service records, have a test drive, try to snatch some discount. Neither seems the best value to me but I wouldn't be afraid of those miles if the engine and transmission have been serviced. Heck, my truck is a 2014 and stands at 267K miles (I purchased it 20K miles ago). But it's service history was about 3 pages long at the time of purchase and had a fresh engine with only 12K miles. 2 transmission fluid and oil pan changes, rear diff services, PCM replaced. And I paid $9K last year. And the truck is solid, I have taken it to 800 mile road trips without breaking a sweat.

Of course YMMV, I just got a good truck (and I'm too cheap to pay over $15K for any car of truck, never have)

Sent from OnePlus 7 PRO using Tapatalk

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m about to become a first time Ram owner, but I’m having trouble deciding between two truck. One is a 2017 v8 with 69k miles for 27k. The other is a 2016 v8 with 124k miles for 21k.

Both trucks have all the features I need, but the 2016 is a Laramie and the 2017 is a big horn. The Laramie looks nicer, has leather, and is much cheaper, but I am slightly concerned about the mileage. I am planning on keeping this truck for 10 years and giving it to my son. I drive about 9k miles a year.

Why does the '16 have so many miles?

I'd go with low miles.

BUT, I would look at the cost of new.

OP
OP
D

Dltigers3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man I wouldn't touch any Ram with the Eagle Hemi any it with those high a miles for even half that amount. I would hold out for something with less than 40K miles even if it took a while. For me personally I like to be able to look back at those oil change logs and know exactly what's been put in there pretty much from day one.

what’s wrong with the 5.7 Hemi? Serious question. I have been reading reviews and reports for months and besides the exhaust manifold bolts, I had been led to believe they are pretty bullet proof

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi

_TopGear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I bought my 13' laramie longhorn for ~27K with 72k miles, 5.7L.

Love that tune of the HEMI engine and the power.

the features (heated / AC seats, power folding mirrors, leather, 8.4" screen and sunroof) sold me. they make you feel like a luxury kind of guy, but in an off road animal. Plus a clean title and it being almost flawless.

balance out the features on the laramie. they all have differences. but looking back a year later I would of never chose a big horn without the features...Think, where do you spend most of the time in your truck?

My biggest thing was the Air conditioned seats and heated steering wheel, and the lumbar support and memory adjustable seats....and my wife wouldn't let me buy anything without a sun-roof

OP
OP
D

Dltigers3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Averageguy,

New is out of my price range for sure. I could buy a new base model, but I don’t want a base model. I’d rather have a nicer vehicle with some miles than a new vehicle that is bare bones. I’ve got about 22k between trade in and cash so that’s what interested me about that Laramie, not having a payment would be really nice

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As the original owner of an older 4th gen with over a 107k miles I would like to offer a different perspective than most. Having read through these forums I've found a few things that seem to jump out to me. Remember this is my opinion.

1. Most RAMs either go 100k+ miles without issue or have issues early on which continue until the owner sells. And this is not limited to 4th gens by any means. Sometimes it'***** or miss. So a really low mileage truck may not have been tested in the real world fully.

2. Sorry but I do most of my own service as do most here and I don't keep records (3 cars, motorcycle, lawn equipment, etc... no time). If you have a long service list you likely have had a lot of work or take the truck to the dealer for every little thing. Do you think the dealer will show the care a dedicated owner would?

3. I would always caution a super low mileage older truck because I wonder how long it sat somewhere without moving or being serviced. I'm talking about something that would equate to 2000miles a year or less.

All that being said, I would stick with the 69k mile truck that is a year newer. Both have high mileage on a yearly average (23k vs 31k). Do you know if either have been used to haul/tow tailers? Also, the more bells and whistles on the Laramie the more that can go wrong. One of the benefits of an express is the simplicity which works for me because it's a truck. Ultimately your money so your choice but be careful on price if you aren't paying cash as a bank will only loan what they think it's worth and you'll need to make up the difference. Good Luck!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Totally understand the funds, many of us will that way. Just the concern with such high miles on both and your plans for truck. There is an option of buying a newer, lesser optioned truck with lower mileage, maybe even warranty left. I see beds with ramboxes online for under 2k. Paint to match is maybe $700 (did this on my 2003) and you end up with a better chance of meeting your plans and transferring down. And you can sell the bed that came with your truck and recover some of your costs. Good luck

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I found this one. Just for fun, see what the best price you can get them down too is and check the total cost of all the trucks individually at the end of the term because it will vary with length of term and interest rates. Weigh the added cost of new against a full warranty, 0 miles, and higher resale.
https://www.preferredchryslerjeepdodgeramofgrandhaven.com/new/Ram/2019-Ram-1500+Classic-for-sale-grand-haven-MI-84ebdb940a0e0ae877596e0fadedd34e.htm

better
https://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/new-vehicles/all-new-ram-1500/

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is no way I'd buy either of those trucks, especially the 2016 with well over 100k miles. Both have higher than average miles, especially that 2016, and both are over priced considering that fact, especially the 2016.

Granted my 2019 Classic is a single cab express, but decently optioned. I bought it brand new off the lot in December for $25,700.

I bought it in December of 2019 and have about 4200 miles now. Not everyone drives from California to New York and back once a month, or whatever one has to do to rack up 124k miles on a 2016.

Jaywoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 & 2018
Engine
Hemi 5.7 & Cummins
My 2014 5.7 Hemi has 129,000 miles now. All trouble free. Been a great truck.

OP
OP
D

Dltigers3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It must be my area, but the cheapest new crew cab right now within 100 miles of me is a tradesman that was 47k and has been discounted to 37k.

If I could get that one in Idaho for 29k I’d be all over it...

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2017. The 16 has way to many miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Averageguy,

New is out of my price range for sure. I could buy a new base model, but I don’t want a base model. I’d rather have a nicer vehicle with some miles than a new vehicle that is bare bones. I’ve got about 22k between trade in and cash so that’s what interested me about that Laramie, not having a payment would be really nice
well, the Express is a good option. Here is my 2011 Express, low optioned the day I bought, and when i sold/ You can make an average truck excellent.

317342_1424548540858_1447080280_30944510_1134060205_n.jpg

20150620_162352.jpg