Help! Fog light issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon Stroup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
hello all! i have a 2012 Ram that i recently purchased. soon after i noticed the fog light on the driver side will not come on but the passenger side will. i tried replacing the bulb with a new led fog light, and it still didn't work. (on a side note, i couldnt get the passenger side bulb out of the harness D: ) Ive tried to search online to troubleshoot the problem and i cant find anything specifically related to my problem, except that ive seen many other people with the same problem but no answers... AHHHHHH! lol please help!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
See if the fog lights work without the truck running(you'll have to turn the ignition on though). That could indicate that something with the bulb detection is causing the issue.

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine did this and I found I had a break in the wire. Had to rewire that fog light.

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
try using a circuit tester in the harness plug with the light unplugged to see if you are indeed getting 'juice' at all to that driver's side light...

Then try it in the harness itself... you might find if you have that "break" in a wire

41JrVSQtbsL._AC_.jpg

OP
OP
B

Brandon Stroup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
See if the fog lights work without the truck running(you'll have to turn the ignition on though). That could indicate that something with the bulb detection is causing the issue.
On my way out the door for work this morning and i tried this... The passenger fog light still comes on and the driver side does not.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
hello all! i have a 2012 Ram that i recently purchased. soon after i noticed the fog light on the driver side will not come on but the passenger side will. i tried replacing the bulb with a new led fog light, and it still didn't work. (on a side note, i couldnt get the passenger side bulb out of the harness D: ) Ive tried to search online to troubleshoot the problem and i cant find anything specifically related to my problem, except that ive seen many other people with the same problem but no answers... AHHHHHH! lol please help!

Hi @Brandon Stroup - We certainly understand why this would be concerning! If you're not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
B

Brandon Stroup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
try using a circuit tester in the harness plug with the light unplugged to see if you are indeed getting 'juice' at all to that driver's side light...

Then try it in the harness itself... you might find if you have that "break" in a wire

View attachment 200257

Ok so i found that there IS juice to the light...but only when i use the ground on the tester. Im assuming that means that there is a problem with the ground wire for the harness itself?

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
Ok so i found that there IS juice to the light...but only when i use the ground on the tester. Im assuming that means that there is a problem with the ground wire for the harness itself?

That can be answered buy rigging a pin out of the ground on the harness and clamp the tester ground to that pin to complete the same circuit the bulb would

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably the harness. Clips in on the driver's side, behind the front bumper. I had the same issue on mine when I got it (used). Ordered a new OEM harness from ebay, switched it out and it works like a champ!

OP
OP
B

Brandon Stroup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Probably the harness. Clips in on the driver's side, behind the front bumper. I had the same issue on mine when I got it (used). Ordered a new OEM harness from ebay, switched it out and it works like a champ!

Look for "fog light harness"?