Help identifying weird noise, NOT a tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverSteed357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all,

I have a 2011 Power Wagon with the 5.7 Hemi, had the exhaust manifold replaced, checked the lifters, but am still getting a noise I cant really describe very well....
To me, it sounds like a really loud, pissed off rattlesnake or maracas with bb's in it or something? I know that's not really helpful, but its driving me insane. I just put a Black Widow Race Venom muffler on it, which is pretty loud, and this weird sound is louder than my exhaust when I'm accelerating.
My bf, who is a mechanic, says that's just how some engines sound, but I refuse to believe that, since my 2012 never had that issue, and my 4 other friends, who have 4th gen Rams w/Hemis, have never had this issue.
It doesn't quiet down when warm and it gets louder and faster when I accelerate.
I know this isn't the best explanation, I can try to get it on video if it might help?
Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

TLDR: My 2011 Power Wagon sounds like a really big, pissed off rattlesnake and idk what it is.

PW2018PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a bearing. Maybe crank bearing? Wheel bearing? Pulley?

Start looking with a flashlight and wiggling on stuff

PW2018PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe your brake caliper rubbing the rotor making a whooshing sound?

Aftermarket wheels rubbing a brake caliper?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
lose heatshield? those things rattle like heck and since they are so thin, it is very high pitched noise.

bigdodge

Reaction score
Exhaust leaks will sound like that. It will change as the engine warms up and get louder as u accelerate. That's my guess. I had one that I was sure was a bad lifter. Nope, just another leak.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Possibly debris making contact within your ventilation blower blades. When you accelerate there's additional forced air flow which will turn the blades even when it's off. Check for debris in the intake vents located under the hood above the fire wall. Mine gets filled with lots of pine needles due to I have over 30 such trees where I park. I have seen on vehicles/homes/trailers leaves, styrofoam/rubber/tape insulation, and an entire wasp nest plugging the ventilation systems. Tiny leaves hitting the blower blades can make rattling noises and restricted air flow hissing noises when blocked.

Check the condition of your Power Wagon optional cabin air filter if it has one. Mine doesn't.

If it is a rattlesnake, be extremely careful. You never want one to bite your Power Wagon!

Last edited:

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Suspect 2 things. Heat shield vibration^^^ Check rear bolts on passenger side for broken. 2. check serpentine pulleys and tension-er.