Help New guy with bigger tires, lift/leveling kit, spacers, step side, etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theblakester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, proud new owner of my first full sized pick up here in Houston, Tx. 2020 Ram 1500 LoneStar/BigHorn V8 5.7L Hemi crew cab 4x4 that has the “Off-Road Group” (which is what the MSRP sticker calls it), 20”x9” aluminum chrome clad wheels, trailer brake control, and Big Horn Level 1 Equipment Group.

I’m looking to put bigger tires on it that will preform well on the road and off road in some potentially muddy situations. I don’t plan on going mudding for fun, but I do eradicate feral hogs and coyotes on several properties at night and will use 4 wheel drive sometimes in those muddy situations. I also don’t want to hydroplane on the freeway as I live in Houston, and we get a lot of rain down here. I don’t want any rubbing and still want a relatively smooth ride on the road. I’m not looking to break the bank, but I’m definitely not looking to take any shortcuts or go cheap to “make it work” just to have something break on me later. Anything else I’m forgetting that I should consider or factor in. I’d rather buy once, cry once and get this right on the first go round.

I’m thinking I can keep the 20” wheels that came with the truck, and powder coat them black later. Any compatibility issues there? Im not overly worried about the looks of the wheels and more concerned with compatibility and performance and ride.

From what I’ve read, the Billstein leveling kit and 12.5” x 35” Nitto Ridge Grapplers might work well. Will that fit? Do I need an additional lift or an actual lift kit instead? Not sure about spacers or even how exactly they work. I do like wider looking tires, but don’t want that look where the tires stick out really far from the sides of the truck, but I don’t want that tall, skinny look either. I also don’t want the tires to look like stretched out rubber bands on the wheels. I’m open to suggestions and anything to get me pointed in the right direction. Total new guy, not a mechanic, and don’t know jack about how all this stuff works, so anything y’all can do to explain things and dumb it down in layman’s terms would be helpful.

About how much am I looking at spending?

Is there a way to do this and still keep my warranty?

How much will my gas mileage be affected?

Many thanks in advance from a not very mechanically inclined new truck owner.
f8101402bb5d3a08b608d24845eb5a5f.jpg
5453206a605d0570e2c6775defde3f72.jpg
49c355372b5cde793ae3fe75c0a9a55c.jpg
7c061704837858b9f23c43b279b86663.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Neilsen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i just put a Rough Country 5" lift on mine and i have the air suspension and added 35x12.5 Cooper Tires and in some situations they still rub so I would not think a level kit would allow you to use 35" tires, i would think a 33" might work and yes you can use the factory wheels assuming they are 20 x 9

Steve Neilsen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry I didn't see your other questions so:

I spent about $6k for everything, lift and installation, wheels and tires and a programmer to correct for the tire change

None of those mods should effect your warranty

Gas mileage will go down as you will be pushing the motor harder to turn over a larger diameter tire, if you are too worried about gas mileage then don't do anything, I would suggest that the leveling kit at 2 1/2" will change your looks more than you think ( I did a 21/2 on my previous GMC truck and if you want to keep the cost to a minimum., head to your local tire shop and just have them give you the biggest size tire that fits but get those Nitto tires, had those on my GMC and loved them!

Hope this helps, i am sure there are some guys here that will have other opinions for what works and does not work. I am 6'7" tall and i am sure as hell glad i have those power steps because my lifted truck would be tough for me to even step into without them!!!

OP
OP
T

theblakester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you sir! I appreciate the info.

BruceA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, proud new owner of my first full sized pick up here in Houston, Tx. 2020 Ram 1500 LoneStar/BigHorn V8 5.7L Hemi crew cab 4x4 that has the “Off-Road Group” (which is what the MSRP sticker calls it), 20”x9” aluminum chrome clad wheels, trailer brake control, and Big Horn Level 1 Equipment Group.

I’m looking to put bigger tires on it that will preform well on the road and off road in some potentially muddy situations. I don’t plan on going mudding for fun, but I do eradicate feral hogs and coyotes on several properties at night and will use 4 wheel drive sometimes in those muddy situations. I also don’t want to hydroplane on the freeway as I live in Houston, and we get a lot of rain down here. I don’t want any rubbing and still want a relatively smooth ride on the road. I’m not looking to break the bank, but I’m definitely not looking to take any shortcuts or go cheap to “make it work” just to have something break on me later. Anything else I’m forgetting that I should consider or factor in. I’d rather buy once, cry once and get this right on the first go round.

I’m thinking I can keep the 20” wheels that came with the truck, and powder coat them black later. Any compatibility issues there? Im not overly worried about the looks of the wheels and more concerned with compatibility and performance and ride.

From what I’ve read, the Billstein leveling kit and 12.5” x 35” Nitto Ridge Grapplers might work well. Will that fit? Do I need an additional lift or an actual lift kit instead? Not sure about spacers or even how exactly they work. I do like wider looking tires, but don’t want that look where the tires stick out really far from the sides of the truck, but I don’t want that tall, skinny look either. I also don’t want the tires to look like stretched out rubber bands on the wheels. I’m open to suggestions and anything to get me pointed in the right direction. Total new guy, not a mechanic, and don’t know jack about how all this stuff works, so anything y’all can do to explain things and dumb it down in layman’s terms would be helpful.

About how much am I looking at spending?

Is there a way to do this and still keep my warranty?

How much will my gas mileage be affected?

Many thanks in advance from a not very mechanically inclined new truck owner.
f8101402bb5d3a08b608d24845eb5a5f.jpg
5453206a605d0570e2c6775defde3f72.jpg
49c355372b5cde793ae3fe75c0a9a55c.jpg
7c061704837858b9f23c43b279b86663.jpg

BruceA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice truck.... I have a 2019 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab and am thinking of doing something similar. I'm looking at 33's, doing a leveling kit, and adding some throat to the exhaust. I understand that I can get 33's on my stock 20" wheels, and either doing Billstein 5100's on the front (possible new UCR's), and a Borla Muffler for some extra sound. I am open to any suggestions with regard to tires, level and exhaust... You guys seem to know way much more than I do....

rzims

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I have a 2019 laramie and added the bilstein leveling kit. I'm running 296 60 20 on the stock rims. I do get some rubbing when backing up at full lock. All in I'm at 2k for the lift and tires. I got a deal on the tires at 4Wheelparts when they had the buy 3 get 1 free. they ride nice on the fwy and perform pretty well in the mud/snow at the ranch
Hope this helps.

done.jpg