Help on tow mirror compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southern_boy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002, 2015
Engine
Cummings
Hi all, I'm new here and I am seeking some information on mirrors. I drove 8 hours over the weekend to pick up a 2018 Ram Limited 2500 only to be told by the dealer that its not possible to change the standard chrome fold away mirrors with memory to chrome fold away tow mirrors due to the sensors and sales codes the truck has. I never expected this and in return drove home without a truck.

No dealer I have spoke with has yet to tell me they are compatible. However, I have been told by Infotanment and A1 Auto that there should be no issue since the current ones are power fold away....

Has anyone here successfully done this mod without losing features or having "check engine lights" like the dealer told me would happen?

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I swapped out my black power fold standard mirrors on my 14 with 18 chrome non-power fold tow mirrors. I activated the tow mirror option in the BCM (where all the sales codes are stored) with the AlfaOBD tool, so the mirror adjustments are correct when the mirror is flipped up into the tow position.

If you buy tow mirrors and swap them yourself, they will work just like the standard mirrors, and no check engine light will come on. You will need to buy the OBD Genie or AlfaOBD with OBDLink MX to activate the tow mirror option in the BCM. AlfaOBD is much cheaper and you can do a lot more with it. There’s also a very extensive thread in the DIY section on how to use the AlfaOBD software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

southern_boy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002, 2015
Engine
Cummings
I swapped out my black power fold standard mirrors on my 14 with 18 chrome non-power fold tow mirrors. I activated the tow mirror option in the BCM (where all the sales codes are stored) with the AlfaOBD tool, so the mirror adjustments are correct when the mirror is flipped up into the tow position.

If you buy tow mirrors and swap them yourself, they will work just like the standard mirrors, and no check engine light will come on. You will need to buy the OBD Genie or AlfaOBD with OBDLink MX to activate the tow mirror option in the BCM. AlfaOBD is much cheaper and you can do a lot more with it. There’s also a very extensive thread in the DIY section on how to use the AlfaOBD software.

Thanks a bunch for the information, I think I am going to get the truck as it's several thousand less than ordering one and install the aftermarket ones from 1A Auto. They have the exact same specs so I think it will be plug and play other than adding the support bracket! Thanks again.....

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i ordered aftermarket tow mirrors for my express, and had the tow mirror, LED puddle and blinker light codes flashed on the truck. you should have no problems swapping if you get the code flashed.

Lowedawg20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500 Lonestar Edition
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Southern Boy did you get the truck and do the swap. My dealer told me same thing that there was no way to swap out mirrors.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
not sure why dealers are saying that. it’s not true.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
not sure why dealers are saying that. it’s not true.

It's true for the dealer simply because they have zero idea Alfa exists.

They are used to charging you for activating these features and telling you it won't work otherwise.