Help! Unable to find locking lug nut key!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

labchick68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Need help! I have a 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn that I purchased new in 2019. I took it in for its scheduled maintenance a few months ago which included a tire rotation, after they changed the oil they told me they were unable to rotate the tires due to not being able to find the lock lug nut key. I pointed out that my tires had been rotated earlier in the year with no problem and they told me the key should be in my truck somewhere but they couldn't find it. (I know I am a woman but my daddy taught me well when it came to automobiles and I would never throw away something like that. They then told me that their servicemen that rotated the tires before had a master set but were no longer employed there. When I asked about them ordering a replacement, they stated that they were aftermarket lug nuts and they couldn't order them. I have looked at several websites with no success. I'm including a photo and any help locating a key would be greatly appreciated! I only need to get the locking nut off and replace the lugs with non-locking ones ( I live in the south and they don't steel tires here, they just steal the whole damn truck!:hahano:)
IMG_8135.jpg

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Those look vaguely like Gorilla locks.

I'd suggest going to a tire and wheel shop in your area.

Good luck!

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Search YouTube for removing a lug nut lock without a key. There are a ton of videos on it. That's why I don't use them. They are easy to defeat.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your glove box, all your door cubbies and under the seat where the jack is. Go to your local tire and rim shop. They should be able to get them off. They may charge you a couple bucks and order you a new set

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Those look vaguely like Gorilla locks.

I'd suggest going to a tire and wheel shop in your area.

Good luck!
I agree, that looks like a Gorilla lug lock. They need the lock# to sell you a replacement. Mine came with a sticker of the # that they recommend putting inside the glove box door or center console. Might want to check there and see if you can find the #.

-K

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey labchick68 sorry to her your having problems.... but welcome to the forum! & like said a good tire & wheel shop will be able to get them off for you
oh and just my way of thinking...but i wouldn't let a dealership change my oil even if it were free!.....good luck with all

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Stop by a local Discount tire (or other large tire shop) They should be able to get it off, they have all the different keys for those.

OP
OP
L

labchick68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thank you so much for all your suggestions guys! Ya'll have been very helpful, I really appreciate all the quick responses. My Dodge is my baby and I sure don't want to be stuck on the side of the road with a flat and can't get the lug nut off!:worship:

Ironhead3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Hi labchick68. When I got my 2019 Classic last June, the first thing I did was take the locking nuts off and put the regular wheel nuts back on. The locks I have are McGard, and in the dash was the registration tag to return to McGard - if you send this card to McGard, you are in their system and can send you a replacement key wrench at any time if you loose it. I am not familiar with Gorilla wheel nuts, so I don't know if they use a registration system. If they do, and you want to keep locking nuts on your truck, you should register them. I have the locking nuts and the key that came off mine - you can have them if you want them (as long as I can find them):D:rolleyes:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
mine are spline drive lug nuts, they have 6, 8, 10 spline
I don't know what company makes them
I bought them from Discount Tire

MCG-65354BK_QV.jpg

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have the center console, on my 16 there is a pocket on each side by your feet - that's where mine for my spare was hiding.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Late to the show , however there should be the code for the lock combination in your owners Manuel packet that comes in the glove box. Every new vehicle I’ve purchased had that info in the glove box with tire warranty,lemon law ,etc. if you dig through you should locate the needed paperwork.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
a nice 12pt socket will sometimes do the trick, hammer it on and slowly carefully rotate it by hand with a breaker bar. Else, use a chisel hammer. So many would come into the shop in your same situation.
1636896825712.png

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm assuming whomever you purchased it from didn't give you the original lugs they replaced? Personally, I would first buy 5 new non-keyed lugs. Then stop in a locally owned tire shop and throw them $50 bucks to take them off (the big chains have liability-phobia and will probably say they can't help because "OMG what if the car is stolen...now their assisting in the theft").
Better yet, since yours are the spline type you can do it yourself with a few cheapo 12 point sockets from Harbor Freight. Youtube has many how-to videos. After that, don't bother with the locks - they're more trouble than they're worth. If someone wants them they'll take them (illustrated by the previously-mentioned Youtube videos, lol). It's just another thing to struggle with on the side of the road, at night, usually during the winter or a rain storm.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Sometimes a tire shop may just tighten the locking lug nuts & break the studs off

5 new studs run right at $40 for a good brand, like ARP & Moser