HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewBlu2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have read until my head hurts. I have a 2018 ram 1500 tradesman. I want to upgrade to the 8.4 with nav. I also want the rear view with auto dimm and high beam. I also want to upgrade the cluster. What parts will work?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have read until my head hurts. I have a 2018 ram 1500 tradesman. I want to upgrade to the 8.4 with nav. I also want the rear view with auto dimm and high beam. I also want to upgrade the cluster. What parts will work?

You will need a 7" cluster preferably out of a 17 or 18 Ram or 19 Classic. It's a plug and play install. You will need the Alfa OBD tool to set your mileage and engine hours or you can send it in to have it done. The auto dim/auto high beam mirror is also easy to do depending on what options your truck has. Do you already have bluetooth in your truck? This will tell us the best way for you to go. The 17 up Rams started putting the microphones in the headliner so if you don't already have bluetooth your truck will not have them and you will need to go a different direction but still very doable. This also applies to the 8.4 conversion that you can also do. You need to contact @M2mods who is in the vendor section on the forum to order the custom 8.4 conversion harness and then you will also need the heater control module and single zone 8.4 bezel. All of the part#s are listed on their page or you can shoot them a P.M.. He will most likely see this and chime in. You will definitely need the Alfa tool to enable the auto dim/auto high beam codes. You will determine what mirror you will need by whether or not you currently have bluetooth. You can read the Alfa OBD thread to kind of see how it works. It's a $49 App you purchase on the google play store to enable codes in your truck. The dealer Cannot enable these codes. You will need to purchase the OBD Link MX or MX+ from Scantool. This is to connect to your OBD port to enable the codes. This is the preferred tool to use. Lastly since your truck is an 18 it has a security block on your OBD port. This is easily bypassed in a few minutes by installing a security bypass cable. You can purchase it at @KaodTech.com.It all sounds confusing but it's not bad once you understand it. Tons of guys have done it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
First do you have an Ra2 radio with compass button on it, phone/VR buttons on the wheel and mics in the headliner? (Bu cam in the radio).

Also, to avoid hvac blend door issues others have with the 8.4 upgrade, you should plan on an 18 UAQ or UAS radio and Single Zone ATC (part 1 cabin Temp and part 2 Humidity Sensors). I can give you specifics one I know more especially with the mirror harness you'd need along with ATC part 2.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Also as a starting point..

Note: If using a 18 UAQ or UAS radio (Android Auto/CarPlay) you will need to reference the following Ramforum threads ..

- DIY: 2013+ RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Conversion Upgrade.

How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck.

How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM.

INFO - 2013-2017 8.4AN FW Notes (RA4/VP4 NA).

18/19 RADIO: 68331631AH (UAQ 4c Nav)
or 68331635AH (UAS 4c)

18 Premium USB Hub (Supports Apple vs stock one)
PN: 68328704AC (RAM)

* 18 HVAC module (vs 13-17)

* 14-18 ram 1500's (& 19 Classic) have a variable displacement compressor (typ. associated with the 7 speed fan)
>> 18/19's w/UAx = 68366552AA HVAC module (ie UAQ Radio)

& the current thinking is to match the HVAC module to the 8.4 radio year, but there have been several HVAC Blend/Temperature issues with the UAx radio upgrade that are fixed with the ATC Mod.

Now, as far as the mics... 17-18/19 classic truck's have them in the headliner and no one is currently offering a harness kit to add them in the OEM location (I'm looking into it). However, I recently started offering a harness adapter for using the 13-16 mirror with mics & Mopar mirror harness in 17-18 trucks vs mics in headliner

M² Mods.

OP
OP
NewBlu2

NewBlu2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First do you have an Ra2 radio with compass button on it, phone/VR buttons on the wheel and mics in the headliner? (Bu cam in the radio).

Also, to avoid hvac blend door issues others have with the 8.4 upgrade, you should plan on an 18 UAQ or UAS radio and Single Zone ATC (part 1 cabin Temp and part 2 Humidity Sensors). I can give you specifics one I know more especially with the mirror harness you'd need along with ATC part 2.

M² Mods.

This is exactly what I have. Just want to make sure what I gets works and works correctly. I also already have alfa and the bypass. Iam getting parts from a junkyard and have to make a list of specifics so they can get me the correct parts for their discount. And it seems the 18 makes it more difficult. Wish the 20 big radio would work. That's the harness I want. Also thank you for all the summed up with specifics answers I appreciate it.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

DJ Maresco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can't go wrong, I disliked that smaller radio in my old truck.