Hemi going away?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gldwing57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking at some older post on hemi going away in our 1500s.

Friend of mine was told by a dealer in his area ( Charleston WV) that after December no more hemis being produced.

Is this a sales gimmick or are they going to be replaced by Hurricane engine completely?

Any new, news on this subject?

Thanks

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Lots of information out there on this. Please feel free to search the interwebs. Starting with the 2025 model year (which can be ordered now) the Hemi will no longer be an engine choice in Ram 1500's. Yes, replaced by the Hurricane and Hurricane HO engines.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Starting with the 2025 model year (which can be ordered now)
Sounds like the 2025 model year is starting early, rolling off the line by March with some trim/option levels coming later in the year.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah, it's definitely starting early. I don't know if it's true for all dealerships, but some at least have started accepting orders for 2025 models already. That's like 8 or 9 months earlier than most model years.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I don't know if it's true for all dealerships, but some at least have started accepting orders for 2025 models already.
The '24 model will most likely cease once the '25 s go online so I would imagine all the dealers will taking orders.
The '25 is due for it's mid-life update, the front end is getting spruced up

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The '24 model will most likely cease once the '25 s go online so I would imagine all the dealers will taking orders.
The '25 is due for it's mid-life update, the front end is getting spruced up
Like I said above, the 25's have gone online already. :cheers:

Yeah, it is the mid-cycle refresh. And there's a lot more than just the front end that's changed. Take a look at the link I posted above from the Ram website. Some of the updates look pretty cool.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I haven't heard anything definitive yet. Rumor has it they're keeping what they have for now but you never know for sure until official word is released.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I haven't heard anything definitive yet. Rumor has it they're keeping what they have for now but you never know for sure until official word is released.

Thanks, Mike.

I'm not asking out of interest in a new truck - I'm asking out of interest for how long they'll support the 6.4 Hemi by building new trucks. If they keep building for a while, I stand a chance of repair for mine if something goes deep six.

If they stop building 6.4, it's time to look for something else. I don't need to be left stranded by a questionable engine, no matter how "low" the lifter failure rate is. Add to that the 66RFE transmission.

I've done everything I can to make my powertrain live, thanks to this Forum. Now it's up to the gods of failure probability statistics.

Wire4money

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks, Mike.

I'm not asking out of interest in a new truck - I'm asking out of interest for how long they'll support the 6.4 Hemi by building new trucks. If they keep building for a while, I stand a chance of repair for mine if something goes deep six.

If they stop building 6.4, it's time to look for something else. I don't need to be left stranded by a questionable engine, no matter how "low" the lifter failure rate is. Add to that the 66RFE transmission.

I've done everything I can to make my powertrain live, thanks to this Forum. Now it's up to the gods of failure probability statistics.
I wouldn’t worry too much. You can still get cams and lifters for engines that went out of production before I was born.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Parts for the 5.7s and 6.4s should be widely available, I can't think of a much more popular engine other than the chevy small blocks. There are millions of hemis produced.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Thanks, Mike.

They will support the engine for many years to come.

I had a Ford F-250 with the 7.3L diesel. They stopped production of that engine in early 2003 and it is still supported today (even though it was only in production for about 4 years in the USA). There's still a lot of OEM parts for it and a solid aftermarket presence.

Talking with the Ford parts department guys as it was becoming more and more obsolete (minimal common parts with newer engines and longer out of production). They told me that the original parts suppliers for the production line are usually 3-5 year contracts. After that Ford would go through another couple of contract for OEM parts through other companies to OEM specs. Around the 15 year point lower volume parts would not be continued and would be relegated to stock on hand until they were gone then the part would be officially "discontinued".

The reason part numbers change (usually up by one number or letter) is for a revision in the part or a supplier change.

Long story short the 6.4L will be supported for a long time by RAM and longer by the aftermarket since so many were built. The 7.3L still has a large aftermarket even though it was only in production for less than half a decade.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I guess my concern is due to the stonewalling I've seen reported by members on getting parts.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
HEMI went away when they added that useless MDS garbage.
I've just learned to disable it by engaging my ERS every time I put it in gear. It's a shame I have to do that and there is no way to permanently disable it, but if I had wanted a 4-cyl truck I'd have bought a Ranger. Which is actually a pretty good little truck, by the way.

gecko1309

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys

I come from Germany and drive my second Ram.
I had a 2011 and now a 2018 1500 5.7L Hemi.
It may be that the Hemi isn't perfect. Neither are they at Ford and GM.
I'm shocked that they want to take the Hemi V8 engines out of the program.
The V8 is the best engine there is. And the right engine in the trucks.
The Ram is in first place in Germany and Europe.
And I'm not the only one who finds this really offensive.
What the hell is wrong with them at Dodge and Ram trucks????
How can a little bloated **** engine replace a Hemi.
I really hope that all Ram drivers in the USA will fire up the people at Ram Trucks and Kuniskis to put the V8 back in the 2025+ Rams.
You can offer alternatives, but taking out the Hemi V8 is not an option.
Please people join in.
That the V8 won't die out.

And to Kuniskis I say .
Bring back the Hemi V8.
Bring back the legend

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, Mike.

ALL heavy duty v-8 motors will disappear at some point. I am not looking forward to that day. I will have to switch over to a 2500 if I buy a new truck anytime soon.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey guys

I come from Germany and drive my second Ram.
I had a 2011 and now a 2018 1500 5.7L Hemi.
It may be that the Hemi isn't perfect. Neither are they at Ford and GM.
I'm shocked that they want to take the Hemi V8 engines out of the program.
The V8 is the best engine there is. And the right engine in the trucks.
The Ram is in first place in Germany and Europe.
How can a little bloated **** engine replace a Hemi.
I really hope that all Ram drivers in the USA will fire up the people at Ram Trucks and Kuniskis to put the V8 back in the 2025+ Rams.
You can offer alternatives, but taking out the Hemi V8 is not an option.
Please people join in.
That the V8 won't die out.

And to Kuniskis I say .
Bring back the Hemi V8.
Bring back the legend

What's become apparent is that Ram/Kuniskis has no choice. They pay BILLIONS in fees every year or two, to (you guess it) Tesla. A company cannot survive by doing this and basically paying their competitors to build trucks.

The Hemi is a very dirty burning engine, probably the most dirty v8 alive in high numbers. It really needs to go, sad as it may be. If you want to complain then you need to complain about the people in charge making the rules that Ram must follow, not Ram.

But yes I think we all hope for a completely new v8 at some point.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's called the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) with the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standard that Stellantis can't meet. They've been buying credits from Tesla for a few years but that's an unsustainable business model. The cost to develop a V8 that would fit into the mold the Hemi has carved out and come close to meeting fuel efficiency and emissions standards is also not a profitable endeavor.
Stellantis is partially making profits because the legacy cost of the Hemi and Classic trucks is so low.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
What's become apparent is that Ram/Kuniskis has no choice. They pay BILLIONS in fees every year or two, to (you guess it) Tesla. A company cannot survive by doing this and basically paying their competitors to build trucks.

The Hemi is a very dirty burning engine, probably the most dirty v8 alive in high numbers. It really needs to go, sad as it may be. If you want to complain then you need to complain about the people in charge making the rules that Ram must follow, not Ram.

But yes I think we all hope for a completely new v8 at some point.

Heck, the Hemi was nothing but a marketing tool. Bringing back a race engine for a truck is costly and wasn't lubricated properly.

We've been wanting a modern V8 for a long time. 4 valve head. Port injected. Not buying a Toyota.

GM put GDI in their new 6.6 V8. Reviews have panned it as doggy. Ford had trouble with roller lifter failures. Don't know why.