Hemi mechanical fan delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bo Daggart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Has anyone been running an electrical fan from a 3rd generation v6 ram and removed the mechanical fan?

Have you been running like this for awhile?
Tune needed to change the temp needed to turn on the fan?
Any info is helpful

I already know how to do the install/swap

txdrifter1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know if this will help you Bo but I have an after market electric fan and a 192 degree thermostat in my 2015 1500 5.7 that I have been running for about three months after removing the mech fan. As of this post I have not had the dealership tune it for temperature adjustment and as of this post have not needed it yet (winter temps in CO. help). So far I have not seen a temp reading of over 204 degrees or lower than 188 during normal driving. For the most part my temps normally run 188 to 195 and stick to that range. I will monitor it when it starts getting warmer to see if I need the PCM adjustment.

onemc4you

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my opinion, if you are running a nice radio and amp, keep it mechanical. The amps from the alternator are needed for the radio not the fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txdrifter1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure how that works. You are already running an electric fan on the 5.7, you are just eliminating drag from the motor by removing the clutch fan, then replacing the smaller electric fan with a slightly larger electric fan blade but still using the DC current from the previously removed electric fan.
In my opinion, if you are running a nice radio and amp, keep it mechanical. The amps from the alternator are needed for the radio not the fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still waiting to see if removing the clutch fan and using the V6 efan will be enough for guys pulling trailers through the mountains. Tried to use my stock efan without the clutch fan and ended up on the side of the road with it over heated.

Also noticed that the 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 removed the clutch fan and added a different efan so waiting to see those come out and see if I can add that fan to my truck.

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just removed my mech. fan on my '17 yesterday. I am going to run it with just the stock e-fan for now to see how it does before I go the v6 fan route.

txdrifter1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still waiting to see if removing the clutch fan and using the V6 efan will be enough for guys pulling trailers through the mountains. Tried to use my stock efan without the clutch fan and ended up on the side of the road with it over heated.

Also noticed that the 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 removed the clutch fan and added a different efan so waiting to see those come out and see if I can add that fan to my truck.

I don't know that I could recommend removing the mechanical fan for anyone that is towing heavy loads. I think that may be to much stress for the electric fan.
I do not tow with my truck and usually only haul around 800 to 900 lbs in the bed when I am hauling anything and have not had a problem with engine temps so far. I will qualify this statement by saying it is still winter in Colorado so the ambient temps are probably helping.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know that I could recommend removing the mechanical fan for anyone that is towing heavy loads. I think that may be to much stress for the electric fan.
I do not tow with my truck and usually only haul around 800 to 900 lbs in the bed when I am hauling anything and have not had a problem with engine temps so far. I will qualify this statement by saying it is still winter in Colorado so the ambient temps are probably helping.

Yea I was hauling an empty 3,000lb enclosed trailer from salt lake back to Boise ID and those passes with the 90+ degree weather was just too much for stock efan. Even with the mechanical fan back on my oil temps were still high (250) but the coolant temps were back in spec.

Kleinja

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Does anyone have an update to this? Looking to run the V6 fan on my Rebel. Don't haul much, but here in Illinois it can get up to 120 Deg on a hot summer day. Want to make sure it will hold up over time. Looking to keep the thermostat stock as well, but I will consider upgrading it as well if it would help out with the hot temps.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does anyone have an update to this? Looking to run the V6 fan on my Rebel. Don't haul much, but here in Illinois it can get up to 120 Deg on a hot summer day. Want to make sure it will hold up over time. Looking to keep the thermostat stock as well, but I will consider upgrading it as well if it would help out with the hot temps.

I've ran a V6 efan all summer with a 190 t-stat and no issues here in Texas. It did run warmer than I wanted, but deleting the grill shutters (If I remember correctly rebels don't have em) solved that problem really quick. The temps do go up a bit with towing unless I run the AC on max to keep the duty cycle high, but running around empty and light towing is no problem. Eventually I'm going to drop to a 180 with a custom tune since the stock tune wont kick the efan on until something like 220 unless you're running the AC and the condenser needs airflow.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Digging this back up but is the only way to change the temp that the fan turns on at through a tuner? Is AlfaOBD capable of this? Are there specific tuners that do or do not do this?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Digging this back up but is the only way to change the temp that the fan turns on at through a tuner? Is AlfaOBD capable of this? Are there specific tuners that do or do not do this?
there is no way to adjust the fan temp turn on with AlfaOBD, you would need a tuner to adjust that

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there is no way to adjust the fan temp turn on with AlfaOBD, you would need a tuner to adjust that
Thank you for that info!
I am definitely new to tuners but interested in getting one. I have a 2015 so from what I understand I need a new PCM and unlock it or unlock the one that I have. Still figuring out what route I want to go, something about having my OEM PCM untouched is more appealing to me. Ive also read that any PCM for that year can be paired to my specific VIN, even if the PCM was from a V6 model. Now I just have to learn which Tuners would fit my needs.