Hemi performance...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
The hemi folks remember what was the winningest engine,the 426 hemi that nascar ever experienced.But yes,the newer ones are 345ci and larger but they are not the 426.But the modern hemi in larger cid outruns the old 426 street version anyway nowdays.So of course there are fans of all types of cars and engines.And that is okay.
I'd for one would love to have the old 426 and put aluminum heads, roller cam, fuel injection, super chargers and or turbos and have all the gears today's cars have and compare, but yes today's technology doesn't make it apples and apples. I still got to live in the greatest times for cars in my youth and in my opinion!

98RAM5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
The hemi folks remember what was the winningest engine,the 426 hemi that nascar ever experienced.But yes,the newer ones are 345ci and larger but they are not the 426.But the modern hemi in larger cid outruns the old 426 street version anyway nowdays.So of course there are fans of all types of cars and engines.And that is okay.
and my point is they know that most people are going to associate it with everything you said, but not realize that they arent "the same" in a sense. thats all my point was. it was clever on their part as most any hobby is made up of mainly "casual" fans. when it comes to cars and trucks im not a expert and admit that. yes, stock for stock a newer hemi will take a older one if you go by 1/4 times from then and now, but im not sure thats all engine performance. tires for one have gotten a lot better since then and id have to think that MAYBE the older engine has more power POTENTIAL. either way i didnt mean to take this as far as its gone, but that always happens lol.

Octane

Reaction score
I'd for one would love to have the old 426 and put aluminum heads, roller cam, fuel injection and have all the gears today's cars have and compare, but yes today's technology doesn't make it apples and apples. I still got to live in the greatest times for cars in my youth and in my opinion!
I also remember many of the old 50s and 60s cars running the streets in my area as a young teen.There will always be something very special about those great American cars back then.Nowdays it seems most cars are cut from the same "cookie cutter" and imo lack what it takes to be truly American iron.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
and my point is they know that most people are going to associate it with everything you said, but not realize that they arent "the same" in a sense. thats all my point was. it was clever on their part as most any hobby is made up of mainly "casual" fans. when it comes to cars and trucks im not a expert and admit that. yes, stock for stock a newer hemi will take a older one if you go by 1/4 times from then and now, but im not sure thats all engine performance. tires for one have gotten a lot better since then and id have to think that MAYBE the older engine has more power POTENTIAL. either way i didnt mean to take this as far as its gone, but that always happens lol.
No hard feelings from me either. I'm just a guy that has heard people dis Mopar for the past 46 years and I take up for them. I didn't mean to sound bad if I did.

Octane

Reaction score
No harm done! That is what a forum is for.For the enjoyment of the cars and the history of the automobile in its many forms.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I also remember many of the old 50s and 60s cars running the streets in my area as a young teen.There will always be something very special about those great American cars back then.Nowdays it seems most cars are cut from the same "cookie cutter" and imo lack what it takes to be truly American iron.
Yes, I'm trying to realize the love for old American hot rod days are gone but I had so much fun with them and my memories of them will never die. I'd do it all again if I could!

98RAM5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
No hard feelings from me either. I'm just a guy that has heard people dis Mopar for the past 46 years and I take up for them. I didn't mean to sound bad if I did.
none from me either. thats the problem with text, we dont know what the actual emotion is and most times (me included sometimes) its taken as if its in a offensive manner. im definitely not here to diss mopar! if i wanted a new truck id take a serious look at a new ram and have heard about and been around mopars all my life. my dad is a mopar guy lol

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
“I can tell you as a Dodge person my entire life, if something happens to a Dodge, the whole world hears about it. If it happens to any other brand no one hears about it! Always been that way.” – 2012RAM1500RT

No truer words have ever been spoken.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 063671 miles.

Octane

Reaction score
Ive always been a big Chevy and somewhat Ford guy and of course a Mopar fan.All three since the big quality issues of the 1970s especially have made many folks critical of domestics.Some families have never owned anything but foreign makes.The differences I see is since the imports haveseen some good dependability experiences that when they do mess up it is like no one mostly cares.But if a domestic vehicle even has an alternator failure then the car is just cut down to crap.It is the american carmakers history of screwups that always comes back to haunt them...and those of us that like american cars.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
True Hemi, semi hemi, don't matter to me, it's a Hemi, I think my first one was a 54 Des. than a 345? I am foggy on the size in a dodge 700 HD grain truck with a zillion miles on it. also a 58 1/2 ton with a small hemi, and **** poor clutch, had that up to when I retired 10yrs ago, than a few in the 1970's with small blks and one big blk.
Has one BB hemi for a bit, also a hot rodded 340 , that was great.
The newer ,on my 4 th, never had one of them opened as they all jut work right. no hot rodding, they are work trucks. My 14 sport should be the last one , 8sp, 3.9gears, 75KM ( Canada)
the picture is from the dealer when I bought it new, much the same, step boards, roll top, some trim.

Attachments

• 2014 ram.jpg
    2014 ram.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 4

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ive always been a big Chevy and somewhat Ford guy and of course a Mopar fan.All three since the big quality issues of the 1970s especially have made many folks critical of domestics.Some families have never owned anything but foreign makes.The differences I see is since the imports haveseen some good dependability experiences that when they do mess up it is like no one mostly cares.But if a domestic vehicle even has an alternator failure then the car is just cut down to crap.It is the american carmakers history of screwups that always comes back to haunt them...and those of us that like american cars.
You are right and I understand that but I always told people if my brother makes a product and you make the same product and it is better I am still going to buy from my brother. I think of American's as my brothers and sisters. That's just the way I am, I can't help it!

98RAM5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
brand loyalty is something i cant get behind and is exactly what i was getting at with chrysler using the hemi badge in late model vehicles. its a hemi as long as dodge calls it that, but again im not bashing, just how i see it. i ride/drive whatever i want. lets face it, most major brands in any segments, whether it be cars or motorcycles, all make a pretty good product these days. if i like it, i want it, regardless of branding. if i bought a new ram, it'd be because i felt it was the best truck for me. my dad is a mopar loyalist, but has owned other makes like many have as well. since he is, there is a SLIGHT mystique to mopar for me, but i still would buy something else if i felt it was better. its nice talking with you all, maybe we will more in the future. im signing off on this one lol

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
both the 2.7 and 3.5 leave a hemi for dead. Ram needs to up their game in the power department.

This is simply not true to the degree stated. I've owned a 2.7 with the 10spd. It does well but feels that way not due to the power it produces but the lighter weight of the truck. It just feels more "nimble". In all reality the difference between the 2.7/3.5 and the hemi is 3/4 second at most pending configuration as always. The 2.7 and 3.5 are nearly identical 1/4 mile times. If Ram needs to step it up then building an aluminum truck would put it right there with Ford however I hate the aluminum body. It's loud especially when it rains and in the winter where I live the traction sucks due to the weight difference. This is also one of the reasons most don't think about when it comes to towing, Ford has a much lighter truck allowing them to accommodate a heavier payload hence upping the tow capacity.

The new powerboost is in an entirely different category and even that is still less than a second quicker than the hemi with a price tag that is 20k more. I've driven one of those off of my lot for a couple weeks as well and they are a nightmare when it comes to ride quality, the engine dropping in and out is very frustrating, feels as though it's shifting all the time. Sorry, got side tracked there.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
This is simply not true to the degree stated. I've owned a 2.7 with the 10spd. It does well but feels that way not due to the power it produces but the lighter weight of the truck. It just feels more "nimble". In all reality the difference between the 2.7/3.5 and the hemi is 3/4 second at most pending configuration as always. The 2.7 and 3.5 are nearly identical 1/4 mile times. If Ram needs to step it up then building an aluminum truck would put it right there with Ford however I hate the aluminum body. It's loud especially when it rains and in the winter where I live the traction sucks due to the weight difference. This is also one of the reasons most don't think about when it comes to towing, Ford has a much lighter truck allowing them to accommodate a heavier payload hence upping the tow capacity.

The new powerboost is in an entirely different category and even that is still less than a second quicker than the hemi with a price tag that is 20k more. I've driven one of those off of my lot for a couple weeks as well and they are a nightmare when it comes to ride quality, the engine dropping in and out is very frustrating, feels as though it's shifting all the time. Sorry, got side tracked there.
Yes, and a second is a blink of an eye and I still have the sound of a V-8 and no turbo!

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
"Yes, and a second is a blink of an eye and I still have the sound of a V-8 and no turbo!"

This is the ONLY regret I have since I supercharged mine. I lost the Hemi Rumble. BUT on the plus side I do have an amazing amount of get up and go now. Hence my saying " Hemis are fast, Supercharged Hemis are INSANE fast."

Octane

Reaction score
Small engines are a race between two computers with aluminum/ plastic vehicles.
Which is why the younger gen has a liking for them.If they could just use a smartphone to race with they'd do that too lol.
Back in the day we could understand why a shoebox Nova with a smallblock could mostly outrun a bigger more powerful tho heavier car.But we liked the heavy beasts anyway.And also the small lighter cars with lots of hp per lb. of weight. Also nowdays some folks get their rocks off seeing a real small lite car outrun someone.But we all knew it wasn't that big of a deal even years ago to outperform a behemouth! We still loved the beasts!

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still pondering a new truck purchase. I did an internet search and I don't think I have found much on bone stock 1/4 performance for the 5.7 Hemi 4x4 of for the 3.6 either.

Does anybody have 1/4 mile times for these machines? Does anyone know how they compare to the GM 5.3 and 2.7 turbos?

I have a 4.7 now and it is a stone.
I can tell you that I have owned 3 Chev trucks with the 5.3 engine and the 5.7 hemi is by far quicker than the Chev's ... Sorry I have no 1/4 numbers ... I'm on my third RAM as well and all the trucks both Chev and Ram had the same configuration, 4 dr crew cab with short box ..

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
If you want quickness and speed do not buy a truck.

Respectfully disagree. We live in the golden age of automobiles and you no longer have to choose. My truck will walk many a 'performance car' from the nostalgia era. Sure, you won't be as quick as an equally modern sports car, but being fastest and being fast enough to be fun are different things. I rather enjoy my modernized Lil Red Express, even if it doesn't have the pipes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357