HID questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dickencider90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking to add some HID low beam kits to my 2016 Ram 1500. Would I need warning cancelers, anti flicker, power harness, etc... also what brands do you guys recommend? Thanks RamFam!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do you have the OEM projector headlights or do you have the halogen quad units?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What I am asking is about the configuration of the headlight lens.

This is a projector:

20170331_154849.jpg

This is a quad:

CH00301-HLAP_1.jpg

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What ^^^he^^^ said except I don't think you'll need to do anything to flash your BCM with Alfa OBD on a 2015 as long as you purchase a kit that is "CAN BUS Compliant".

I got all my HID kits from RetroShop. I used Morimoto branded kits and never had a problem with them on 3 different Ram trucks and one Chrysler 300C SRT8.

One caution on using HID's in a reflector quad headlight. The light goes everywhere and you may end up with a lot of pissed off oncoming drivers flashing their high beams at you.

HID light reacts to being reflected differently than when used in a projector headlight. I ran into some problems with my 2007 Ram. I tried HIDs in the stock reflector headlights and it worked OK but the light was so dispersed that having adequate light at a distance was a problem. I also got flashed a lot by oncoming drivers and got the bright backup lights on the back of semi trucks lit up on me more than a few times. Hell, a really good friend of mine called me one night as we were headed back from Cali to Orygun and cussed me out. He was in front of me. Then he demanded I pull in front of him for the rest of the night driving. :D

So I retrofitted a pair of stock headlights with some projector parts:

Before:

01-10.JPG

After the retrofit:

09-23.JPG

The projectors had a great cutoff and fantastic light out to distance. Oh and I experienced no more pissed off friends.

You might want to see if you can't get a good pair of projector headlights online and go for a good CAN BUS Compliant kit.

Good luck.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I ran HIDs in my quads for over a year with great results, never got flashed.
Running them now in duals, same thing.
Good distance, bright & no flashes.