High Mileage Rams & How You Got There

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troutman561

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I only have 35k so I cant comment longevity wise other than I am going to be averaging about 25k/miles a year. As far as oil changes I have been following the indicator and the only thing I noticed was some louder ticking for a few seconds one start up shortly before the last change. Just happened once but it was enough to remind me that she does indeed need a change at 8-9k as my indicator has been telling me. As far as average, daily valve train noise it is really no louder than the 4.7 I had in my Tundra that went 275k before I sold it (still going strong last I heard) with no problems. I also went 10-12k on oil changes with Mobile 1 on that motor. I too am interested in the oil filter relocation for the simple fact that I can change it easier. The stock location makes a ridiculous mess. Perhaps there is a secret im missing.

RamHondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are a lot of thoughts on what causes cam / lifter failure so it would be good to have some details on maintenance and driving habits from the high mileage owners.

Those of you with over 150k miles( past when a lot of cams & lifters initially fail) give us your stats:
- how many miles
-Oil: brand, weight, Synthetic or Dino, filter used
-Oil change miles interval
- Idling hours and Driving hours as read off the dash data
- Do you have a catch can
- has your Cam and / or lifters ever been replaced, if so at what mileage
-Foot details: eggshell friendly or solid lead

I really believe there is no need for catch cans, ok for dress up, make money for companies.
Rousch engineering does not install them on their builds, they say no need...

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really believe there is no need for catch cans, ok for dress up, make money for companies.
Can't hurt though, can only help....

DANIEL AYALA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 ram 150o 5.7 with 185k miles.
No engine or tranny issues. All stock.
I change oil every 5k miles when I do my tire rotation. I usually put seafoam like 200 miles before oil change, let it drain, and put mobile 1 high mile 5w20 with mopar filters.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew

do you not see what they catch? i dont want that crap going into my intake.

OP
OP
indept

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When you see what those that have them catch it makes you wonder about what it's doing to the intake BUT, just a guess, most likely its a very limited number of owners have them and we don't see disabled Rams littering the highways. Maybe the fact that our engins have port injection keeps the crap from building up on the intake valves.

Soulcrusher72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a lot of thoughts on what causes cam / lifter failure so it would be good to have some details on maintenance and driving habits from the high mileage owners.

Those of you with over 150k miles( past when a lot of cams & lifters initially fail) give us your stats:
- how many miles
-Oil: brand, weight, Synthetic or Dino, filter used
-Oil change miles interval
- Idling hours and Driving hours as read off the dash data
- Do you have a catch can
- has your Cam and / or lifters ever been replaced, if so at what mileage
-Foot details: eggshell friendly or solid lead

Soulcrusher72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
173,475 on my 2011. Full synthetic 5w20 after I hit 70k. Fram extra guard filters. no lifter noise yet and I only change it when the it tells me too( I used to do 3k till this ram ). Mostly highway miles about 3 hours a day. I only let it idle maybe 15 minutes when I start it in the winter.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
173,475 on my 2011. Full synthetic 5w20 after I hit 70k. Fram extra guard filters. no lifter noise yet and I only change it when the it tells me too( I used to do 3k till this ram ). Mostly highway miles about 3 hours a day. I only let it idle maybe 15 minutes when I start it in the winter.

Any particular brand of oil or whatever is on sale ? Thanks

Soulcrusher72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used Castro gtx since my first truck I bought 32 yrs ago with fram filters, but I have been using mobile 1 since switching to full synthetic on this one.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I used Castro gtx since my first truck I bought 32 yrs ago with fram filters, but I have been using mobile 1 since switching to full synthetic on this one.

Thanks soul crusher.

JaymanUS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I had the exact same issue. Ended up being broken manifold bolts. I would take the time to run it by another dealer for a second opinion. Mine got fixed and she’s not ticking anymore.
So. That tapping/ticking sound when first starting is NOT okay? Guys I know that have had HEMI's for years tell me that it's a "normal" HEMI thing.. I'm new to HEMI engines so i'm just curious. Every truck I test drove did that including brand new units.

DANIEL AYALA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So. That tapping/ticking sound when first starting is NOT okay? Guys I know that have had HEMI's for years tell me that it's a "normal" HEMI thing.. I'm new to HEMI engines so i'm just curious. Every truck I test drove did that including brand new units.
It depends on where ticking is from. If it's from manifold, than no, it's not normal. But if it's from the engine, it's considered normal on HEMIs.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine will only tick on startup if I have previously ran it for a short time and didn't let it reach full operating temp.

Or if I park it nose down overnight. So I try to avoid doing either.

Normally it starts up nice and quiet.

OP
OP
indept

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Mine will only tick on startup if I have previously ran it for a short time and didn't let it reach full operating temp.

Same with mine. Only times (twice) it ticked was when I moved it closer to the door during lunch at work before a storm hit so I wouldn't have to go far in wind driven rain to get to it so it sat for 4 hours then I moved it closer, took a bout a minute or so & shut it off. Tapped for a couple seconds when I started it that evening.

GA Cattle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 & 2018 3500
Engine
4.7 & 6.4
I use the weight stated in the manual, Ive used all kinds of oils, I used to change my own, now I just bring it to a shop.

265,636 miles on a 2011 4.7L

I'm not sure mine has idling hours, but it does show hours.

Oil changed every 10-12 thousand miles.

No catch can.

No replaced cam or lifters.

Solid lead foot

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
125k on my 11 5.7. semi syn what ever was on sale 1st 80k.

RP 5/30 80 to 100k. SRT filter

Redline 5/30 100 to 125 SRT filter.

3112 Hours but no idle run split.

However based on my 16 with 36k. The split is approximately 85/15 between run & idle.

Only engine work is plugs and coil change.

Catch Can installed at 80K.

Krowned every year

other fluids changed based on owners manual schedule.

Last edited:

Larmo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
06 Ram 1500 5.7 335742 miles, yes there is a oil catch can installed, vehicle idles for about 30 min every day 5 days a week, mostly high way driving btw.. tranny, same front and rear diffs, same transfer case, power steering, rack and pinon, pretty much all major parts original, no rebuilds what so ever..Mobil 1 full synthetic with Mobil 1 extended oil filter changed every 5000 miles , power steering fluid, brake fluid , changed every 30000 miles , tranny fluid and filters also changed every 30000 miles, rust proofed with fluid film every year, and don't beat the crap out of it...

IMG_20190527_172849187.jpg

IMG_20190813_110115714_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Congrats Larmo! Truck still looks sharp. No easy feat to stay rust free, especially in Buffalo.