Hit the brakes and the truck just died and wont start ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skip1221

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good afternoon everyone. It is very hot where im at today well 90F is Hot for a Canadian lol anyway i drive a 2011 longhorn with the 5.7 and today To avoid an accident I had to swerve to the shoulder of the highway and I stopped the truck. it was a paved shoulder but a sudden stop and that was it. For some reason it stalled right there and wont start again. Now I have code P0113 but I reset it and it keeps coming back. Will the truck not start if this is bad? . I strayed carb cleaner down the intake and it started right up. But it will just turn over like there is no gas getting to it. Does p0113 prevent the truck from starting ?

I did disconnect the fuel line at the motor and turned it over but no fuel came out so Im thinking ts the pump.. Any second opinions? Its a $500 dollar part in canada

Last edited:

Mark2011hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
There is a possibility that p0113 can cause a no start as it does contribute to fuel trim. Have you unpluged the sensor and checked your scanner to see if the tempurature has changed. Have you checked your fuel pressure at all? If you need help diagnosing it i can help you threw it. Give me asmuch info as u can.. Canadian srt tech..

Last edited:

Mark2011hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Before you condem the fuel sending unit check to make sure it had proper power and ground. Hate for you to change pump when its i bad fuse. Relay or corroded wire

OP
OP
skip1221

skip1221

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I will go disconnect the battery and see. If that helps I sprayed carb cleaner on the sensor to see if that helped . When I turn the key the pump doesnt make the priming sound and nothing came out of the line even when i was trying to start it.

should I drop the tank first and see if its getting power to the pump first? Ive rebuilt this truck with everything from a new motor last year to every moving park except the right front hub.. But this one Im stuck

PS Thank you for the ideas

Mark2011hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
No problem. Should not have to drop the tank just reach ontop and disconnect the locking tab to the connector or carefully backprobe the connector. If you got all your power and grounds then you know for sure its the pump. Testlight should work fine aslong as it not led. I perfer a tool called a powerprobe but testlight will work

OP
OP
skip1221

skip1221

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I will do that in the morning to the tank before I order it. I didnt hear the primer going and when I tried to start it with the fuel line removed at the motor there was nothing when I turned it over.. Im glad I can do all my own stunts..lol I hate to see what a garage would charge the 500 is garage price because I know a guy..

Mark2011hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ya if you done have power at the pump or ground it will not work period so it will not prime . Check it in the morning . I work tomorrow ill ill the forum open on my phone and if need be i ian send you wiring scematics from prodemand. If you have done all that work yourself you shoulnt have an issue chamging a fuelpump in your driveway. . Good luck buddy

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
My 2000 Ford F150 had an inertia fuel pump shut off switch, so that if you came to a very sudden stop, or had an accident, it shut off the fuel pump to prevent a fire. Behind a door on the passenger side interior kick panel I believe there was a button that you could reset, and it would work again. I wonder if the Ram has this as well? It sure sounds like that's what happened to me.

OP
OP
skip1221

skip1221

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
That is exactly what happen Tap I avoided an accident and I went from 40 MPH to stopped in about 10 feet and the truck shut off and never started again..

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
That is exactly what happen Tap I avoided an accident and I went from 40 MPH to stopped in about 10 feet and the truck shut off and never started again..

Googling I can't seem to find that the 2011 Ram has that inertia switch. Could be a bad fuel pump relay though. I just remember finding out about it in my Ford when my fuel pump went bad, I was searching for issues, but in my case it turned out just to be a bad fuel pump. It was pretty high mileage at the time though. You may want to Google Ram fuel pump relay test and I've seen some videos on how to check it.

OP
OP
skip1221

skip1221

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
yep I have been on google and youtube for a few hours now,,lol I didnt find a reset either but I did come across the tipm failure there are a few videos on how to test it so thats a morning thing.. Thank you again to everyone who replied
. I will let ya know what i find out in the morning .
Skip

OP
OP
skip1221

skip1221

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
So after trying the faulty relay switch. I wasn't getting anything from the pump. So with 3/4 of a tank of gas ugggg lol When I was able to get it all apart. Its not that hard if you remove the right rear inner fender well. Anyway the fuel pump had come completely apart. There are two spring loaded rods that hold the top to the bottom. The rods were layong on the bottom and the pump was hanging into the tank. It had come unplugged. I dont know if I jolted them lose when i went up the curb. It was a very low curb. Or the sudden stop.. Anyway. I hope it doesn't fall apart again. If it does I will know what to change..

Thank you again to everyone who helped me try t figure it out.

109416428_3760701157279166_6082183643341361064_n.jpg

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good afternoon everyone. It is very hot where im at today well 90F is Hot for a Canadian lol anyway i drive a 2011 longhorn with the 5.7 and today To avoid an accident I had to swerve to the shoulder of the highway and I stopped the truck. it was a paved shoulder but a sudden stop and that was it. For some reason it stalled right there and wont start again. Now I have code P0113 but I reset it and it keeps coming back. Will the truck not start if this is bad? . I strayed carb cleaner down the intake and it started right up. But it will just turn over like there is no gas getting to it. Does p0113 prevent the truck from starting ?

I did disconnect the fuel line at the motor and turned it over but no fuel came out so Im thinking ts the pump.. Any second opinions? Its a $500 dollar part in canada

Check DTC's... if a P0629 is present by itself, replace the pump.

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
https://www.verticalvisions.com/tipm-fuel-relay-solutions.html

Check this out. Quite common from what I understand. I have the same truck as you, 2011 Bighorn with 5.7 hemi. Even though I have had no issues with mine I ordered one anyway and keep it in the glovebox. $16 is a pretty cheap peace of mind not to mention I hate walking. Considering I am a Yooper I'm damn near a Canadian myself with one exception.........GO REDWINGS!! Trying to give you a chuckle, vehicle troubles can be stressful.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
So after trying the faulty relay switch. I wasn't getting anything from the pump. So with 3/4 of a tank of gas ugggg lol When I was able to get it all apart. Its not that hard if you remove the right rear inner fender well. Anyway the fuel pump had come completely apart. There are two spring loaded rods that hold the top to the bottom. The rods were layong on the bottom and the pump was hanging into the tank. It had come unplugged. I dont know if I jolted them lose when i went up the curb. It was a very low curb. Or the sudden stop.. Anyway. I hope it doesn't fall apart again. If it does I will know what to change..

Thank you again to everyone who helped me try t figure it out.

View attachment 215902

Wow that's interesting. You must have hit that curb harder than you thought. Can't believe that thing came apart like that!

OP
OP
skip1221

skip1221

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am a Yooper I'm damn near a Canadian myself with one exception.........GO REDWINGS!!

Im pretty much American.lol I can see Detroit Michigan from my window where I live in Windsor Ontario Canada so I keep the curtains closed lol. With my truck My fuel pump all fell apart that was the problem with my truck But after seeing all the relay problems. Im going to order one anyway. The number one problem with the 2011 Longhorn was actually the tipm. So it wont surprise me.. And for the record Im a Washington Caps fan for about 40 years..

Last edited: