Homelink not working well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Been using my Homelink and whatever Subaru calls it and whatever others we have had for years on our Chamberlain garage door opened but for the past few months been having issues in both vehicles. Seems the range has been getting worse and worse. At the point now I have to back up until my bumper is almost touching the garage door. Since it's both vehicles guessing it is the opener and not the cars. Anyone ever experience this? Maybe the sensor on the opener needs cleaned?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had that very same problem. I cleared all codes from the Homelink system and then re-paired the remotes.

That worked for a bit but it got progressively weaker. I added a small wire antenna extension to the door opener and no more problems.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Have you installed LED lights on the door opener or in the garage? A lot of them interfere with garage door opener signals. There is actually garage door opener safe LEDs you can buy.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
If your city has also replaced the LEDs on the street lights , that is also messing up the signals ... complete BS because they know that these cheap @$$ LEDs they are putting on the street lights are causing all sorts of issues, they are starting to turn blue in a lot of cities and they aren't doing anything about it !

But yes, LEDs "WILL" cause interference issues, and that includes LEDs you install on your truck too!

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you installed LED lights on the door opener or in the garage? A lot of them interfere with garage door opener signals. There is actually garage door opener safe LEDs you can buy.
nope. Same fluorescent lights for years

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your city has also replaced the LEDs on the street lights , that is also messing up the signals ... complete BS because they know that these cheap @$$ LEDs they are putting on the street lights are causing all sorts of issues, they are starting to turn blue in a lot of cities and they aren't doing anything about it !

But yes, LEDs "WILL" cause interference issues, and that includes LEDs you install on your truck too!
they do have some LED streetlights but my garage is behind my house and the closest streetlight is about 100' away

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
One of your neighbors might of installed some LEDs on their house .....
or was trying to be a helpful neighbor and installed them on your house :eek:

Although I have LEDs everywhere around the inside and outside of the house and don't have any problems with the garage door opener.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guess what. Me and wife just went out for a Dunkin run and I pulled out of the garage and hit the button in her car to close the door. Looked in the mirror to make sure it was closing and was blinded by my LED motion lights I put up a few years ago...lol. Oops...forgot about those. But I put those up 3 or 4 years ago. Seems this problem just started about 6 months ago. I also have an Arlo Pro 4 wireless security camera right beside that light too. I put thaat up about 12-18 months ago. Can't say for sure but the garage door problem may have started that long ago but it does seem like the problem has gotten worse recently. Used to have trouble from the end of the driveway, then 1/2 way up the driveway, now bumper has to almost be touching and sometimes we just give up and use the keypad beside the garage door

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Guess what. Me and wife just went out for a Dunkin run and I pulled out of the garage and hit the button in her car to close the door. Looked in the mirror to make sure it was closing and was blinded by my LED motion lights I put up a few years ago...lol. Oops...forgot about those. But I put those up 3 or 4 years ago. Seems this problem just started about 6 months ago. I also have an Arlo Pro 4 wireless security camera right beside that light too. I put thaat up about 12-18 months ago. Can't say for sure but the garage door problem may have started that long ago but it does seem like the problem has gotten worse recently. Used to have trouble from the end of the driveway, then 1/2 way up the driveway, now bumper has to almost be touching and sometimes we just give up and use the keypad beside the garage door
A lot of things nowadays cause interference, there has to be something done just recently at your house or near it that is causing the issues ... for me like I said was the street lights "I" think .... I did convert all the lights on my truck to LEDs and I know for a fact that since I did that my garage opener doesn't open the garage with my truck, "BUT" my wife has a lexus and her garage opener works perfectly fine lol .... but yes, homelink is hit or miss nowadays for me

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I've had a couple of times it wouldn't work a few months ago but that was it. I back in from the street about 100' so I hold the button as I pass before backing. All my lights on the truck except cab roof lights are all LED. I have 2 LED 4' lights in the garage but are usually not on. I'll have to turn them on to test the LED interface theory. They might of been on that day it wouldn't work, can't remember. I also have a Chamberlain. My garage door has glass windows and are solid wood if that matters.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If your house is more than 100' from the street & the garage door can't be seen too easily from the street

I would add 6" of antenna wire to the garage door opener antenna

But if it does not improve your Homelink range
Take that 6" section of antenna back off

Then try something else

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
If another house is more than 100' from the street & the garage door can't be seen too easily from the street

I would add 6" of antenna wire to the garage door opener antenna

But if it does not improve your Homelink range
Take that 6" section of antenna back off

Then try something else
What I did was ran the antenna all the way to the garage door and that helped a bit ....

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I've had a couple of times it wouldn't work a few months ago but that was it. I back in from the street about 100' so I hold the button as I pass before backing. All my lights on the truck except cab roof lights are all LED. I have 2 LED 4' lights in the garage but are usually not on. I'll have to turn them on to test the LED interface theory. They might of been on that day it wouldn't work, can't remember. I also have a Chamberlain. My garage door has glass windows and are solid wood if that matters.
Like I said, mine worked from 3 houses out, then as soon as they changed the street lights to the LEDs all went down hill ...

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Like I said, mine worked from 3 houses out, then as soon as they changed the street lights to the LEDs all went down hill ...

Yeah that's crazy. I'm going to leave the lights on tomorrow and see if it interferes. Good to know.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I think that in southern California, they have gone to special LED lights.
The reason is that Palomar Observatory Telescopes were being somewhat blinded by the street lighting

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I think that in southern California, they have gone to special LED lights.
The reason is that Palomar Observatory Telescopes were being somewhat blinded by the street lighting
No not really, but I do know that a few years ago they were crying about the LEDs in the valley lol ..

But the LEDs that most cities not just here in California installed on streetlights are starting to turn blue instead of white lol .... that I know for a fact because that is what happened to the lights here in our city ... since then a lot of wonkey crap has been happening ....

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My alley is about 50' from the garage door. It used to work from out there. truck seems to work slightly better than her Subaru. Like literally 12" from the garage door. Truck seems to work about 10' away. But will try the antenna extension and see if that helps

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I was told not to extend my garage door antenna to much
I live in a grouping of apartment buildings,
there could be hackers driving down the street with a computer trying to catch a rolling code out of the air.

I don't know if it is true, but i am not enhancing my garage door capability to reach out the signal distance

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I was told not to extend my garage door antenna to much
I live in a grouping of apartment buildings,
there could be hackers driving down the street with a computer trying to catch a rolling code out of the air.

I don't know if it is true, but i am not enhancing my garage door capability to reach out the signal distance
Having a rolling code helps against hacking the garage doors lol .... but most of our garage doors that sync up with the homelink are not the rolling codes that can be hacked so you don't have to worry about that ...

You can extend that antenna as far out as you want, it's not going to make a difference "IF" someone is trying to hack it anyways lol ..

Think about it, if they want the signal they are going to get it, extending the antenna out is to get the signal interference away from the antenna ...

If you had a fixed code your garage door can easily be hacked but with the new doors it's actually pretty hard unless that person or persons leave a code grabber near your door and they know when you are coming in or out and BAM they get that code