Hoping for some knowledge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the popular error message of "exhaust needs service see dealer immediately" just popped up on my brothers 2011 3500 6.7. He had a shop do a full emission delete then they "tuned it" probably a year or so ago. I wont get into what I think about the tuned it aspect.
Anyway, hes been having some bad luck with this truck, and now this message popped up and he said it started "sounding like his truck was going to blow up." He just hit 100k miles.
So I did the search here and actually saw a few threads and posts on this seems to be a fairly common issue especially with deleted trucks and the common fix is simply reloading the tune and it usually fixes the issue and message goes away.
What I havent been able to find on here or on Google is what the hell is actually causing this message to get triggered. That's what I'm hoping to learn is what exactly is the computer reading or what's going on that is triggering this to pop up. Just trying to learn a little more about it really. Or any further input from someone that's gone through this or knows a bit more about it, would appreciate the help and opinions. Thanks guys [emoji1689]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BubbaJo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
if they did a full delete, then the exhaust shouldn't have the DPF filters or anything in it. I would assume getting the tune re-done.

tunes on these trucks can be helpful to an extent. Depending on the tune. Most people seem to get better fuel economy, thus using less fuel. Less fuel can lead to less emissions.. Also it can extend the life of these motors, which helps benefit the economy since the owner of said vehicle can spend more money other places than replacing bs $300+ sensors, or giving dealerships $1000 to clean egrs

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input. Yeah I know these trucks can benefit from deletes and especially the older ones like his, just hoping to learn a little more about this service exhaust code and what all can cause it and why reloading the tune that the vehicle is already running on fixes it [emoji2373]

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
Sounds like a bad tune was installed. Tunes are not created equal, and some that have a cheap price are just that, cheap. Cheap/bad tunes are what gives deleting a bad rap. There is nothing inferior in a deleted diesel pickup IF it as a good tune. The tunes are only as good as the tune writers ability and experience. I would advise your brother to call Starlite Diesel in SLC, Utah. They don't sell directly to the public but can recommend a quality shop to install a good tune they write. 435-578-1230 He won't be disappointed.

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a bad tune was installed. Tunes are not created equal, and some that have a cheap price are just that, cheap. Cheap/bad tunes are what gives deleting a bad rap. There is nothing inferior in a deleted diesel pickup IF it as a good tune. The tunes are only as good as the tune writers ability and experience. I would advise your brother to call Starlite Diesel in SLC, Utah. They don't sell directly to the public but can recommend a quality shop to install a good tune they write. 435-578-1230 He won't be disappointed.
Thanks for the input man [emoji1306]
I absolutely know not all tunes are created equal they range from blow your ish up to operating better than ever. That's what I meant by "I wont comment on the tuned it part" lol I just dont believe a shop that simply tells you they tuned it and that's it, never drove it, never ran a log, never checked systems after installing new tune and tweaking it to ensure it's running it's best as it can for how its setup, no nothing just yup we tuned it. To me that has generic one tune fits all written all over it but it is what it is. I've been getting custom tunes done for years with amazing guys who devote tons of hours of working with you and logging and adjusting to ensure your setup is running the absolute best it can, then have you run logs for them every couple months to make sure everything is still on point. So this way of doing it I just dont agree with but it's the route he went so I'm just trying to help him out, hes had some unfortunate bad luck with this truck.

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Again thanks for the input and I will pass that number and info along to him. [emoji482]

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just incase this helps anybody in the future, here is what caused this to happen in my brothers situation. He got fuel from a out of town station and the pump did some emergency shut off deal, the worker said crap tis was my last pump the rest have all gelled up. Whatever happened with the fuel, it was contaminated and like gel. That caused the issue and the engine sounding like it was about to blow up lol. The shop that did his tuning drained everything out and kept a little container of it for him, it was bad. He didn't even think of that until the shop told him then the incident of getting fuel popped in his head. The shop took care of him, got him a updated tune and a sweet programmer now so he has one.
Anyway thanks for the input