How to Add Bed Lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I bought the mic tuning kit from amazon. I bought the 2 piece kit. Came with a built in switch. Some of the wiring was really thin. Make sure to test the lighting first.

You will need extra wire, sauder, shrink tubing, wiring loom, and duct/electrical tape.

I first made sure I had room for the lights as I have a tonneau cover and the clamps limit space. I had no issues there. The strips came with dual sided tape but I also used silicone to hold them in place. I used one of those caulking devices for spreading the silicone to create a smooth finish and wiped off any excess.

I powered the lights via the constant power at the 7pin hitch.

I disconnected the plug from underneath the truck and cut out some of the wire so I could sauder in the power wire. There is a clip you must pull up on before you can unplug the harness from the bumper.

Prefeed any shrink tubing and leave extra wire in case. I pre measured and routed loose wire to see how much I would need and gave myself an extra 2 feet in case.

I mounted the ground behind the right tail light. I used the multimeter to see if it was a good ground with no issues. You can grind paint if need be.

I fed the wire along an existing loom and fed it through a hole and up to the taillight. I mounted my ground using an existing bolt. I fed the switch through the hole that feeds to the bed in the back right corner.

I used a small bead of silicone on the switch as it doesnt look very water resistant. Wrapped the loom around all wire and taped it every 5 inches or so. I sprayed all connections with krown rust proofing before shrink wrapping and sprayed the ground as well. This isn't a must, but I figure, do things once and do them right. You will need a circle terminal end for the ground wire.

I zipped tied the switch to one of the tonneau clamps so it wouldn't fall back in the hole.

I included a before and after with the light.

Screenshot_20191205-095456_Chrome.jpg

20191128_170428.jpg

20191128_170351.jpg

20191128_192324.jpg

20191128_192331.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought the mic tuning kit from amazon. I bought the 2 piece kit. Came with a built in switch. Some of the wiring was really thin. Make sure to test the lighting first.

You will need extra wire, sauder, shrink tubing, wiring loom, and duct/electrical tape.

I first made sure I had room for the lights as I have a tonneau cover and the clamps limit space. I had no issues there. The strips came with dual sided tape but I also used silicone to hold them in place. I used one of those caulking devices for spreading the silicone to create a smooth finish and wiped off any excess.

I powered the lights via the constant power at the 7pin hitch.

I disconnected the plug from underneath the truck and cut out some of the wire so I could sauder in the power wire. There is a clip you must pull up on before you can unplug the harness from the bumper.

Prefeed any shrink tubing and leave extra wire in case. I pre measured and routed loose wire to see how much I would need and gave myself an extra 2 feet in case.

I mounted the ground behind the right tail light. I used the multimeter to see if it was a good ground with no issues. You can grind paint if need be.

I fed the wire along an existing loom and fed it through a hole and up to the taillight. I mounted my ground using an existing bolt. I fed the switch through the hole that feeds to the bed in the back right corner.

I used a small bead of silicone on the switch as it doesnt look very water resistant. Wrapped the loom around all wire and taped it every 5 inches or so. I sprayed all connections with krown rust proofing before shrink wrapping and sprayed the ground as well. This isn't a must, but I figure, do things once and do them right. You will need a circle terminal end for the ground wire.

I zipped tied the switch to one of the tonneau clamps so it wouldn't fall back in the hole.

I included a before and after with the light.

View attachment 188137

View attachment 188139

View attachment 188140

View attachment 188141

View attachment 188142

Looks good, do you have the wiring run from factory for bedlights in each corner on the frame? If so you can tie those lights into their and activate with cargo light switch once activated with alfaobd I’d imagine. I havent tried it yet but might now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
gixxer

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Looks good, do you have the wiring run from factory for bedlights in each corner on the frame? If so you can tie those lights into their and activate with cargo light switch once activated with alfaobd I’d imagine. I havent tried it yet but might now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!
I don't believe I do. I didn't really look to be honest. I thought about tapping into that wire but figured it wasn't that big of burden to have another switch. The videos I watched someone tapped into that wire in the cab and I didn't want to run all that wire.