How to Add Overhead Console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I may have the terminals and body for the Homelink and Compass. Not sure what is needed for the lights.

I need the connectors that plug into the homelink module, the LED cupholder light and the map lights.
I have no sliders, either roof or back, just lights lights and homelink.

BTW if anybody needs a sliding rear window switch I have a brand new one that I don't need but would trade for a blank block off plate.

DSC00803.JPG

DSC00801.JPG

Last edited:

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Awesome, thank you! I will see if I can try and message them. New to this particular forum but I imagine it functions like the rest of them. Ive only ever been on cumminsforum but not much info on there regarding this..
Please post if either of them have responded to you. I too have a basic level trim without the overhead console. I have bought a kit that has the retaining bracket and the overhead console - only the reading lights, no garage door opener - rats! I'm looking for a rear dome to add back there as well.

I've begun looking for videos and threads on how to remove the headliner and gain access to install the overhead console and back light. So any info you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Few questions here folks, where do everyone ends up splicing the linbus wire from the homelink?
Also, from what I understand the compas is built into the homelink module, so by connecting that linbus wire that will also get the compass working?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Firepup216

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am looking at adding the overhead center console. I currently have the middle dome light. When I run the the new harness for the console will the dome light stop working? If so is there a way to tie them together?

Jibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 Tradesman
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Anybody know how to get the pics from the OP? I am trying to figure out this wiring right now, which is not my forte, and I am not grasping the explanation provided, I'm such a visual learner :)

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Anybody know how to get the pics from the OP? I am trying to figure out this wiring right now, which is not my forte, and I am not grasping the explanation provided, I'm such a visual learner :)
Try PMing him. If I'm not mistaken, this thread and many others across the internet lost their pictures in the Photo bucket apocolypse a couple years ago...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

GA_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I've read through this entire post and I'm ready to add a console and rear passenger overhead light.
I've identified the green connector pin #11 Yellow/Violet as the overhead courtesy wire, but which pin is the 12v map wire? Also what are the other wires for?

Does anyone have a pinout/ID for a 2017 ram 1500 Tradesman?

On my input side here's what I've got:
1-Red
2-Orange/blue
3-
4-
5-
6-
7-Blue
8-Black

9-Blue/orange
10-Blue/green
11-Yellow/Violet
12-
13-
14-
15-
16-Black

GA_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Thanks Mpgrimm2, after looking through the documentation I can match a wire to a circuit and have located some other wires that may be useful later. I've got the drivers side green Inline -headliner LT/IP connector and its wire identified.

I have searched in my truck and can not seem to locate the wire I want.
Can anyone help me locate where is the M27 YE/BU Reading Lamps Driver wire is?

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
How do you get the wire/pin out of the connector at the dash? The green connector, I got the white locking clip off but can't figure out the release to get the wire out

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Usually with the lock plate fully removed... Use a pick/jewelers screwdriver to lift the locking tab from the front and pull the wire out the back (should slider out easy).

M² Mods.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thanks Mpgrimm2, after looking through the documentation I can match a wire to a circuit and have located some other wires that may be useful later. I've got the drivers side green Inline -headliner LT/IP connector and its wire identified.

I have searched in my truck and can not seem to locate the wire I want.
Can anyone help me locate where is the M27 YE/BU Reading Lamps Driver wire is?
On a 2013 1500 it's called the i220 connector (34 pin conn near the brake pedal I think... pin 9).

On a 2015 1500 it's called ...
Pin 4 : Inline-Body/Chassis Connector

What year/model is your truck?

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thanks, 2017 Ram 1500 Tradesman
2017 Schematic attached

Inline-Body/Chassis Connector Pin 4 is external to the truck and likely not what you want (under drivers door near the frame rail).

Inline-Body/Headliner Connector Pin 8 should have what you need. (10 pin connector behind driver air vent? IDK). @DeereGuy or @mjf6175 or @Ricks Ram may be able to confirm the location of it.

Attachments

• 17Ram1500 Inline-Body Chassis Conn DCCtools.pdf
    128.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 17Ram1500 Inline-Body Headliner CONN DCCtools.pdf
    96.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 17Ram1500 Inline-Body Headliner Except StdCab CONN DCCtools.pdf
    97.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 2017 1500 INTERIOR-LIGHTING-SYSTEM.pdf
    650.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

GA_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Thank you,
I found the Inline-Body/Chassis Connector underneath, that's not a practical solution.
I cannot locate the Inline-Body/Headliner Connector anywhere under the dash. The only two wires that go into my headliner are the center done light YE/VT and ground. Is it possible that since I don't have any of these headliner options factory installed that I don't have that connector hanging in the wind?

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Thank you,
I found the Inline-Body/Chassis Connector underneath, that's not a practical solution.
I cannot locate the Inline-Body/Headliner Connector anywhere under the dash. The only two wires that go into my headliner are the center done light YE/VT and ground. Is it possible that since I don't have any of these headliner options factory installed that I don't have that connector hanging in the wind?

GA Ram....I believe the connector that MpGrimm makes mention of in his post above that I used is a GREEN connector located right behind the side dash panel on the driver's side of the dash. Open your driver's side door and on the side of your dash is a side panel (shaped somewhat like a triangle). It pops out using one of those plastic tools used for car interiors, or use something that will not mare the dash or panel. Just wedge it into one of the seams around the panel and pry it out, it will pop off. After you get it off you will see a metal brace running horizontally right in the middle. On that brace is the GREEN connector.

Last edited:

GA_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Yes thanks, I'm familiar with that connector (Inline Headliner LP/IT 68057297AA).
Unfortunately no YE/BU map/reading light wire installed. That was my original problem. So I think my next best option is to use the Red fused wire in that connector pin 1 (circuit A990).

Before I start connecting console and rear cab lights, I need to know which fuse that wire is wired to.
I spent this morning pulling fuses and checking the red wire voltage, and have had no luck identifying the fuse.
Short of starting over and pulling all the fuses one-by-one, any idea what fuse that red wire circuit is connected to?

GA_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Finally! Green connector pin 1 (red wire circuit A990) is fused with F80 10 Amp and it goes to the Module Compass. Is it wise to wire the power to the map lights to the power for the compass module?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tigger54