How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok, I've read through this thread and just want to get a few clarifications if that is ok? I have a 2016 Ram 2500 CTD that I installed a UAQ into. My Ram had the RA4 in it before the UAQ. Here are the issues I have and what I think are the answers...

The Heated & Cooled Seats do not function on the touch screen, but the hardware buttons work.
--Have to install some separate module or something to get them to work?

SiriusXM Guardian does not work and can not be activated.
--This cannot be done so there is no way to get these features?

I try to activate radio on my SiriusXM account and the radio ID just doesn't bring up anything.
--I have no clue on this one...

Sorry for jumping in as a first time poster, but this is the first real thread I've seen on people working on the UAS/UAQ upgrade path. I do have access to an Autel unity and the AE software if there is something I can do with that. I did read that there has been some AE bricking so I am also good not to touch that as well! Thanks for any help!!!

Was this a new UAQ or one that you purchased preowned? As for the Heated and cooled seats, do the buttons show on the screen but are greyed out? If so infotainment sells a module that may make them work. The reason I say may, is because in my testing with my 2016 2500 CTD, the CAN message that the radio is expecting to receive to activate the buttons on the radio is different than the CAN messages that the 13-14 trucks are sending. We know that infotainment's modules work on the 13-14 trucks, but it is unknown if it works on my 16. I do know that I had the radio in my wifes 16 2500 6.4 truck and her buttons worked correctly which means there is some difference in the CAN communications between the gassers and the diesels. I don't use the soft buttons on the radio, so it has never really bothered me.

There is no way to get the Sirius Guardian features at this point. It has been the same with the RA3/4 conversions who were trying to get Uconnect Access going. If the truck did not ship with the feature available, then there is no way to get it. As for the activation, that is strange. I keep switching between radios that have an activate subscription on them, so I haven't actually tried to activate one recently.

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The part number is 68274757zh. Still nothing on the engineering menu. I have access to the dealer and system but not Engineer.

Part number will be similar to 68331631AH and will only be seen on the side/back of the radio

M² Mods.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Good afternoon everyone. I just acquired a 2018 UAS radio using car-part.com. As of right now (5/11/18) some places are listing the 2018 radios as an interchange with the 2017 radio units. I scored the steal of a lifetime for $160.00!!! shipping to me directly. Keep an eye out daily. They will not last. Also just don't look at you ram series (1500,2500,3500,etc). All the radios are the same for each series.

One question I do have is does anyone have the download files to update the system to 19.9 as it is instructed in Chrysler's TSB 08-008-18? I checked using the donor vehicle and it comes up with current version already installed.
Where do you think infotainment gets their radios?

Congratulations! I thought I did good getting my RA4 for $285 a couple years back but you've blown that away with your find!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

P4TH3T1C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Was this a new UAQ or one that you purchased preowned? As for the Heated and cooled seats, do the buttons show on the screen but are greyed out? If so infotainment sells a module that may make them work. The reason I say may, is because in my testing with my 2016 2500 CTD, the CAN message that the radio is expecting to receive to activate the buttons on the radio is different than the CAN messages that the 13-14 trucks are sending. We know that infotainment's modules work on the 13-14 trucks, but it is unknown if it works on my 16. I do know that I had the radio in my wifes 16 2500 6.4 truck and her buttons worked correctly which means there is some difference in the CAN communications between the gassers and the diesels. I don't use the soft buttons on the radio, so it has never really bothered me.

There is no way to get the Sirius Guardian features at this point. It has been the same with the RA3/4 conversions who were trying to get Uconnect Access going. If the truck did not ship with the feature available, then there is no way to get it. As for the activation, that is strange. I keep switching between radios that have an activate subscription on them, so I haven't actually tried to activate one recently.

It was a pre-owned unit. The buttons are greyed out on the screen. I will get the module and see if that makes the screen buttons work.

Is there something specific preventing the Guardian service? Is it programming in the truck that a dealer could update or is it Chrysler just being a jerk about it?

Thanks for the info. I sure do appreciate your help!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good afternoon everyone. I just acquired a 2018 UAS radio using car-part.com. As of right now (5/11/18) some places are listing the 2018 radios as an interchange with the 2017 radio units. I scored the steal of a lifetime for $160.00!!! shipping to me directly. Keep an eye out daily. They will not last. Also just don't look at you ram series (1500,2500,3500,etc). All the radios are the same for each series.

Great score. How in the world did you find it on that site? I tried to search but it is not user friendly and the descriptions of parts is pretty vague?

blueteam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Great score. How in the world did you find it on that site? I tried to search but it is not user friendly and the descriptions of parts is pretty vague?

I was checking at least twice a day and when I saw my radio it was a late Saturday night. Keep looking daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

incupunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

One question I do have is does anyone have the download files to update the system to 19.9 as it is instructed in Chrysler's TSB 08-008-18? I checked using the donor vehicle and it comes up with current version already installed.

How the hell do you guys use car-parts search function? It's not intuitive at all, I can't search by MOPAR part #s, and usually one part could be listed under 2-4 different things. So frustrating...

blueteam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
How the hell do you guys use car-parts search function? It's not intuitive at all, I can't search by MOPAR part #s, and usually one part could be listed under 2-4 different things. So frustrating...

I searched for a 2018 then Dodge Ram 1500 and the radio. I did. It change the location at all and it will show up with all the listing that is available. As I am writing this post the only item showing is a subwoofer out of a 2018 Ram 3500 in Canada quad cab.

incupunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I searched for a 2018 then Dodge Ram 1500 and the radio. I did. It change the location at all and it will show up with all the listing that is available. As I am writing this post the only item showing is a subwoofer out of a 2018 Ram 3500 in Canada quad cab.

Thank you for the quick reply I was able to replicate that. Out of curiosity, what would be your choice for the center 8.4 bezel? I chose A/C controls and it just give me the knobs. Same question for Center Console. I am going to keep drilling with it until I find!

blueteam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Thank you for the quick reply I was able to replicate that. Out of curiosity, what would be your choice for the center 8.4 bezel? I chose A/C controls and it just give me the knobs. Same question for Center Console. I am going to keep drilling with it until I find!

My 17 already has the 8.4 installed so it was a plug and play type for me. If you are upgrading from the 5.0 I would suggest getting the factory setup as it will look a lot cleaner and full intergration

incupunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My 17 already has the 8.4 installed so it was a plug and play type for me. If you are upgrading from the 5.0 I would suggest getting the factory setup as it will look a lot cleaner and full intergration

Apologies for the confusion I was just asking what was your best guess for part choice when searching for those! I'll find it though.

blueteam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I don’t know if this unit is a UAS or UAQ radio but it might be worth someone looking to upgrade. My advise is if they said it is a RA3 or RA4 radio, play dumb and say that’s the one I want. Good luck everyone. d6382d6378697955afbd98751e1d13ca.jpg

rayvonp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For the 2018 model year RAMS, the 8.4 Radios were changed from the previous VP3/VP4 Harman radios to the 4C/4C-Nav radios made by Panasonic. The biggest advantage of these new 4C Radios is the support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The radios themselves fit the same mount as 2013-2017 RAMS and the radios require no special programming to work. They read the BCM of the truck just like the VP3s/VP4s. However there are some known issues and components that need to be changed to make it work 100%.

Thanks to MPGRIMM2, RICKS RAM, 00R/T, and STDECO for volunteering to test these radios in their trucks. As a result, we have had them working in a 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 trucks. We have tested seats, backup cameras, cargo cameras, android auto, apple car play, and most of the radio's standard functionality in these models.

WtHKo46.jpg

There are two distinct versions of the radio. The 4C (Sales Code: UAS) and the 4C-Nav (Sales Code: UAQ). The only difference between the radios is that the UAS does not have built in navigation and the UAQ does. Both units support CarPlay and Android Auto. However, unlike the previous VP3 radios, Built in navigation cannot be purchased and added to the 4C radio.

Components Needed

RADIO: 68331631AH (UAQ) or 68331635AH (UAS)
MEDIA HUB: 68328704AC (RAM) or 5XG28DX9AC (Compass)
MEDIA HUB CONVERSION HARNESS

RADIO
It is important that you get a radio that has the correct mount as the mount is now forged as part of the radio housing. Even though a radio out of an 18 Charger/300/Durango/etc will technically function the same as the RAM radio, the mount will not fit the RAM. Can these radios be modified to fit in a RAM.. Maybe, but I wouldn't recommend it. I broke a screen trying to transplant a UAQ radio into an existing VP4 mount.

It is also important that you get a MY18 radio. All MY18 radio part numbers start with 683.... The RAM themes are only available on MY18 year radios and the firmware must be at least version 18. There is a round colored dot on the top of each radio that has a number in it that reflects the firmware version that the radio had on it when it shipped from the factory. Anything less than 18.7 may have functional problems. It is possible to upgrade radios with older versions of software (I have upgraded to 18.14 all the way from 15.5 on one radio) but I also had one fail the upgrade process. Be wary of "AA" revision radios as they are really a crapshoot of what you are actually going to get.

As of now the radio can be purchased brand new from FCA. The cost is around $1200 for the UAQ, and about $100 for the hub.

8TlCa7D.jpg

4BAkjBa.jpg

MEDIA HUB

The media hubs in pre 2018 RAMs will not work with the 2018 Radios. Unfortunately RAM changed the form factor of the media hub in the 2018 RAM Trucks. The 2018 hubs are oblong in shape compared to the square 2013 - 2017 hubs. The closest compatible hub that will fit the existing opening is the compass hub. It is not an exact fit, but it generally fits. Changing the hub in a center console truck is easier than changing it in a jumpseat equipped truck.

2018 RAM HUB

Zgu4bUn.jpg

gTDoBTE.jpg

The connector on the rear of the media hub is also different, so a conversion harness will need to be built to adapt the current 6 pin connector to the 8 pin on the new hubs.

Zimivm9.jpg

D8msyLr.jpg

Jump Seat Insert Replacement

Trucks that have a jump seat can order part number 68376066AA which is the insert with the correct cutout for the 18 RAM USB Hub. The cost is around $95. MPGrimm2 has recorded several videos showing how to change the insert.

See his full post here: Jump Seat Insert Replacement.

Known Issues

Radio Soft Keys for the Heated/Vented Seats and Heated Wheel will not work on 2013 and 2014 trucks (They will be on the screen but will be grayed out).

Radio Soft Keys for the Heated/Vented Seats will be missing on trucks that added factory heated/vented seats.

Settings menu may not reflect correct setting options on 2013 trucks.

Backup Camera button may be missing on 2016 and 2017 trucks. (Camera will work when in reverse, button on radio is missing).

There is no way to factory reset a radio.

Are you guys still making the conversion harness for the media hub?

2014 mega cab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I would like a media harness too. Please send info on how to purchase. Thanks

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have the 8.4 head unit in my 2015. How much control is lost by using the 2018 unit? I hear that control over the heated seats would be lost but I don't care about that as I use the hardware buttons for that. I do use the head unit for setting where I want the air to blow as I don't have hardware buttons for that.
And the head unit has a ton of settings for the vehicle that I don't want to lose.

Buck1127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have the 8.4 head unit in my 2015. How much control is lost by using the 2018 unit? I hear that control over the heated seats would be lost but I don't care about that as I use the hardware buttons for that. I do use the head unit for setting where I want the air to blow as I don't have hardware buttons for that.
And the head unit has a ton of settings for the vehicle that I don't want to lose.

You will lose Uconnect access and you will need a new module for the heated seats and a new media hub so u can use Apple CarPlay or android auto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro