How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B Martin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
On this topic, I have a 2017 2500 with an RA3 and jump seat. I have dual zone hvac and steering wheel controls. I am going to do this upgrade, the only question is via which method.

I saw the part numbers at the start of the thread for the UAQ/UAS and got prices from All Mopar Parts. I also found that infotainment place. The biggest gotcha is Infotainment is selling refurbished units, not new, and only 90 day warranty. If I buy the new head unit from AMP or my local dealership the factory warranty will apply.

I tried to ask Joel at infotainment why I should buy a refurbished head unit with 90 day warranty for basically the same price as buying a new unit (each method includes the needed media hub). I was told that "the radio needs to be programmed to my VIN, which they do for me" alluding to that if I buy a new one that it won't work, though he would not say that directly. I have been reading that it appears that reprogramming was only needed if the radio came from another vehicle make/model, as the graphics are different. As far as options your truck may or may not have, reading in this thread by others it appears the radio actually "learns" this from the BCM and is not hard coded.

Can anyone clarify if they were able to just buy either 68331635AH or 68331631AH and the related hub (along with adapter cable for hub) and drop it in? I would much rather have a new unit with prices being more or less equal.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It should work I believe. It pairs to your VIN with the 4 digit anti theft code. Infotainment sells refurbished units (read plugged in and works) so they can have a higher profit margin. They and others buy up the supply from all the salvage yards and drive up the price as resellers. Sometimes you can get lucky and find these radios before they do. The salvage yard I last checked was selling the Android auto with NAV radios for $500 shipped.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a UAS from another member that I installed in my truck. I've had it in/out several times in addition to having the batteries disconnected and it has never asked for an anti-theft code.
It does take awhile for it to communicate and "shake hands" with the BCM in the truck. When the SXM logo appears and the backup camera works, the communication is complete.

So, I'm not sure I buy the part about them having to program it to your VIN. But, these radios are still new to me...

OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On this topic, I have a 2017 2500 with an RA3 and jump seat. I have dual zone hvac and steering wheel controls. I am going to do this upgrade, the only question is via which method.

I saw the part numbers at the start of the thread for the UAQ/UAS and got prices from All Mopar Parts. I also found that infotainment place. The biggest gotcha is Infotainment is selling refurbished units, not new, and only 90 day warranty. If I buy the new head unit from AMP or my local dealership the factory warranty will apply.

I tried to ask Joel at infotainment why I should buy a refurbished head unit with 90 day warranty for basically the same price as buying a new unit (each method includes the needed media hub). I was told that "the radio needs to be programmed to my VIN, which they do for me" alluding to that if I buy a new one that it won't work, though he would not say that directly. I have been reading that it appears that reprogramming was only needed if the radio came from another vehicle make/model, as the graphics are different. As far as options your truck may or may not have, reading in this thread by others it appears the radio actually "learns" this from the BCM and is not hard coded.

Can anyone clarify if they were able to just buy either 68331635AH or 68331631AH and the related hub (along with adapter cable for hub) and drop it in? I would much rather have a new unit with prices being more or less equal.

The radio does not need to be programmed to your VIN. The radio reads the BCM of your truck and after a few key cyles pairs with your truck. I know at least 10 people who has bought new or preowned UAx radios and they just plugged them into the truck. The only thing you will need to do is to replace the hub and get a hub conversion harness.

I will say that I don't know anyone with dual zone that has tried the mod. I don't see why it would be a problem as that is also a BCM setting. I'm running the single zone mod and have not had any problems. @Gibbs did have some problems with his manual temperature control not working correctly in his 2018 truck, but changing his HVAC module out to the 18 HVAC module seems to have cured that problem. You will loose your uconnect access capability though when you swap the radio.

Infotainment tells everyone that they program the radio to your VIN, even on the VP4/VP3 radio which is not true.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Just an 'issue' update for those installing the UAQ/UAS radio in their truck...

We have 2 reports (@Guido2112 's 17 1500 & Gibbs ' 18 2500 truck) of a lack of 'full' heat after radio install using the previously recommended 13-17 HVAC modules from the earlier Ra3/Ra4 upgrade method. (Blend door not making full travel)

See: http://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1706930

We have confirmed the correct 18 HVAC module to use with the 18 radios in 2500 trucks. Still awaiting confirmation from someone with a 1500....

Code:
As DeereGuy stated, it appears that...
- 68366552AA = 1500 trucks w/8.4 radios (MTC & ATC)
  ie factory 7 speed fan (w/Variable Displacement A/C Compressor)

- 68366553AA = 2500/3500 trucks w/8.4 radios (ATC)
  ie factory 4 speed fan (w/Sgl speed A/C Compressor)

Cost for each is in the $120-$130 range.

We can't confirm 100% yet until someone installs one to test, but you likely need the xxxx6552 module for your 1500 (vs 6553 for the 2500/3500).

M² Mods.

Last edited:

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
My UAQ + Hub + Adapter and Wiring harness is up for sale if someone wants it in the for sale section.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have ordered the 68366552AA for my 1500, Once I get it and installed, I will update if it works correctly.

I'm curious as to how the security code works when you buy a brand new radio and you're not having a dealer do the work. Do they send you the code? What VIN does it get associated with?

-K

OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm curious as to how the security code works when you buy a brand new radio and you're not having a dealer do the work. Do they send you the code? What VIN does it get associated with?

-K

I have never had to have a code for a brand new radio. It always just plugs in and works. I originally installed my new UAQ in my wife's truck but when she made me take it out and I put it in my truck, I had to get a security code for it. I just paid the $12 and got it online. I have never needed it since.

B Martin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
FWIW, I did install a brand new UAQ and it just plugged in and worked fine. All factory options worked like the steering wheel buttons, Dual Zone ATC, etc.

Only thing that does not work is the "Assist" button on the rear view mirror, nor the SOS button in the radio. It prompts me to register, and when I call they said they can only register 2018 trucks, 2017 is UConnect. So I can't get help (even though it clearly works, as I talk to them from it by pressing their button), and can't use the app to control the truck. I never used that so I don't care.

The navigation in the UAQ looks nice, but is garbage compared to using Android Auto and Google Maps or Waze.

The stock jump-seat center console USB jack does not work on the 2017 truck with the new radio. I have a harness adapter coming, and a 2018 replacement Insert, and also the 2018 media hub coming, to address those issues.

Harvo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Purchased Form Infotainment 6833163AH UAQ. Installation was not too difficult but they sent me the wrong media hub. When I powered UAQ up I was finally able to see the Sirius icon appear. Every aspect of the unit appears to be working except one big problem. I get no audio from any sources, fm, am , Sirius , Bluetooth thru my iPhone , no a squeak. Called Infotainment and they were surprised it did not work and did not offer any real solutions. Can someone help me out or will I have to return the unit maybe get another one or just get a refund, Thanks any help would be appreciated as I really like the look of this unit

Ram 1500 Sport 2013
RA3

Buck1127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Purchased Form Infotainment 6833163AH UAQ. Installation was not too difficult but they sent me the wrong media hub. When I powered UAQ up I was finally able to see the Sirius icon appear. Every aspect of the unit appears to be working except one big problem. I get no audio from any sources, fm, am , Sirius , Bluetooth thru my iPhone , no a squeak. Called Infotainment and they were surprised it did not work and did not offer any real solutions. Can someone help me out or will I have to return the unit maybe get another one or just get a refund, Thanks any help would be appreciated as I really like the look of this unit

Ram 1500 Sport 2013
RA3

I had one and returned it due to Uconnect not working but my iPhone worked right out of the box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Ram 1500 Sport 2013
RA3

Can you go into dealer mode (It’s either temp up and temp down together for a few seconds or temp up, temp down, and front defrost together for a few seconds) and then go into radio part information menu and post a picture? I’m looking for the application version.

What hub did they send you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harvo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here’s the hub they sent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk243782c8085fe2312e672301fd114845.jpg

Harvo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you go into dealer mode (It’s either temp up and temp down together for a few seconds or temp up, temp down, and front defrost together for a few seconds) and then go into radio part information menu and post a picture? I’m looking for the application version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harvo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Radio Parts info is here

1CB75D5E-2CA9-4CC3-902D-02EED18D2C6D.jpeg

Harvo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had trouble uploading pic on Tapatalk keep giving post error

Like I said I would like to keep this unit. hopefully I can exchange it if that’s the problem or I may have to get a refund and go after market

OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My opinion is it’s the radio. I’d exchange it for another one and see what happens. The firmware version on it is the same one me and a lot of other people has.

blueteam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

Ram 1500 Sport 2013
RA3

Does your vehicle have the 9 speaker system and an amplifier? If so there might be a software update required as there is a tsb for 2013 rams with no audio from the radio

Harvo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does your vehicle have the 9 speaker system and an amplifier? If so there might be a software update required as there is a tsb for 2013 rams with no audio from the radio

No my Ram had a RA3 no amp or Nav , I installed after market amps and speakers using line level
You believe there is a problem with the radio so it’s worth my time to exchange for another unit. I was thinking of getting aftermarket now but if it’s the radio then I prefer OEM look and integration