How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Under settings, it still showed SXM and even had an option to select the stations I want to appear. I tried doing a radio refresh using the radio ID on the screen under settings and it still didn't work. I did the upgrade to 40.1 (I think I was on 39.x before) and it still didn't show up after a few days, but then it magically re-appeared when I got in my truck this morning. I'm not sure what changed or why it took so long, but the SXM button is back on the media screen.

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I just need to figure out how to get offroad pages to show temperatures in degrees F. Everything else on the radio and cluster are in F., but Offroad pages is showing degrees C for some reason.

I've seen one or two other people post about the SXM button not showing up after a few days. ... Note sure if that's something unique to v40.x or not?

I've also had a handful of customers that are getting 4c Panasonic UAq/UAs radios from eBay/Facebook sellers that are supposedly Mopar, RAM PN units that have been pieced together from other models like Jeep, Challenger, etc with Ram Cases. (Verified by menu screen internal PNs).
In theory these 4c Panasonic radios are often compatible, especially when loaded with Ram Compatible Application Version SW. (Ram, Grand Cherokee, & Compass have the same mounts).
The verified 4th Gen Ram Pn 4c radios seem to have the highest likelihood of working correctly in upgraded trucks, whereas non ram units are hit or miss (50/50 maybe?).

For reference:

2018/19 classic 4th Gen Ram Radio: (USA)
68331631Ax (UAQ 4c Nav, Panasonic: ie CN-SC27N5FL)
or 68331635Ax (UAS 4c non-nav, ie: CV-RC27NOGL, CV-RC28N1GL)

2020/21 classic 4th Gen Ram Radio: (USA)
68461699Ax & 68528238Ax (UAQ 4c Nav, Panasonic ie: CN-SC29Nx xx)
or 68461703Ax (UAS 4c non-nav, CV-RC29Nx xx )

---------------------

2018/19 classic 4th Gen Ram Radio: (Canadian)
68331632Ax (UCQ 4c Nav, CN-SC28NDGL)
or 68340153Ax (UCS 4c non-nav, ?? )

2020/21 classic 4th Gen Ram Radio: (Canadian)
68461700Ax (UCQ 4c Nav, ie: CN-SC29NZGL)
or 68461704AC (UCS 4c non-nav, ie: CV-RC29N3GL)

------ My Partial Understanding/Breakdown of 4c Internal HW PNs ------
CN-SC
x x N xxxx = Nav version (uaQ , ucQ, etc)

CV-RC x x N xxxx = Non Nav version (uaS , ucS, etc)

xx-xx 2 x Nxxx = Vehicle Line (ie Ram, Jeep, etc)
> 2 = Ram
> 4 = Durango
> 7 = Grand Cherokee
> 8 = Wrangler/Gladiator
> N = Compass

xx-xx x 7 Nxxx = Radio Design/Build year (ie 2017)
> 7 = 2017
> 8 = 2018
> 9 = 2019
> A = 2020
> B = 2021, etc

xx-xx x x N *** = no clue, maybe North America? (I have no clear pattern for USA, Canada, Mexico, Europe/Rest of World and what makes the USA/Canada Mopar PNs different).
> N = USA (& Canada, ie North America)
> E = Europe ( thanks @LaurensN )
> x = ??
> x = ??

xx-xx x N *** = No idea about the last 3 letters (& sometimes 1-2 more in parentheses)
> ie ... N5FL (L), NOGL, NYGX, N1GL, N3GL, NOFX, N3GX, etc

If anyone has additional info on these Panasonic internal hardware part numbers/missing info they'd like to share, please do and I will find a place to link the info for others.

** Internal HW PN is available via radio info screen in the 'Dealer Menu' ...

>> With Key in RUN, press and hold all 3 for 5-10 secs ( or bottom corners of radio screen)
... TEMP UP + TEMP DWN + FRONT DEFROST
( use driver side Temp buttons on dual zone)

Last edited:

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen one or two other people post about the SXM button not showing up after a few days. ... Note sure if that's something unique to v40.x or not?

I've also had a handful of customers that are getting 4c Panasonic UAq/UAs radios from eBay/Facebook sellers that are supposedly Mopar, RAM PN units that have been pieced together from other models like Jeep, Challenger, etc with Ram Cases. (Verified by menu screen internal PNs).
In theory these 4c Panasonic radios are often compatible, especially when loaded with Ram Compatible Application Version SW. (Ram, Grand Cherokee, & Compass have the same mounts).
The verified 4th Gen Ram Pn 4c radios seem to have the highest likelihood of working correctly in upgraded trucks, whereas non ram units are hit or miss (50/50 maybe?).

For reference:

68331631Ax (UAQ 4c Nav, Panasonic: CN-SC27Nxxx)
or 68331635Ax (UAS 4c non-nav, CV-RC27Nxxx)

68461699Ax (UAQ 4c Nav, Panasonic: CN-SC29Nxxx)
or 68461703Ax (UAS 4c non-nav, CV-RC29Nxxxx )

CN-SC

> 2 = Ram
> 4 = Durango
> 7 = Grand Cherokee
> 8 = Wrangler/Gladiator
> N = Compass

> 7 = 2017
> 8 = 2018
> 9 = 2019
> A = 2020
> B = 2021, etc

xx-xx x x N *** = no clue, maybe North America? (I have no clear pattern for USA, Canada, Mexico, Europe/Rest of World)

xx-xx x N *** = No idea about the last 3 letters (& sometimes 1-2 more in parentheses)

If anyone has additional info on these Panasonic internal hardware part numbers/missing info they'd like to share, please do and I will find a place to link the info for others.
Makes sense

LaurensN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

For reference:

68331631Ax (UAQ 4c Nav, Panasonic: CN-SC27Nxxx)
or 68331635Ax (UAS 4c non-nav, CV-RC27Nxxx)

68461699Ax & 68528238Ax (UAQ 4c Nav, Panasonic: CN-SC29Nxxx)
or 68461703Ax (UAS 4c non-nav, CV-RC29Nxxxx )

CN-SC

> 2 = Ram
> 4 = Durango
> 7 = Grand Cherokee
> 8 = Wrangler/Gladiator
> N = Compass

> 7 = 2017
> 8 = 2018
> 9 = 2019
> A = 2020
> B = 2021, etc

xx-xx x x N *** = no clue, maybe North America? (I have no clear pattern for USA, Canada, Mexico, Europe/Rest of World)

** Internal HW PN is available via radio info screen in the 'Dealer Menu' ...

>> With Key in RUN, press and hold all 3 for 5-10 secs ( or bottom corners of radio screen)
... TEMP UP + TEMP DWN + FRONT DEFROST
( use driver side Temp buttons on dual zone)

I have a European unit (p/n 68396161AC) from a MY18 jeep compass installed in my truck. Most of your theory seems to check out. So from my example (xx-xx 6 x Exxx) it seems 6 stands for Compass and E for European.
The back of mine is very different from US units though. In Europe we use a digital radio signal called DAB+ so I have a grey port for that and none of the ports for 3g connection or satellite radio.

Attachments

• 20240104_213536.jpg
    20240104_213536.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 9

StoneFree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have another issue with my install. Everything is up and running once I put the new hub in except the Sirius XM button is inoperative. I upgraded straight to the UAS 40.1 version but am wondering if I needed to go to 39.6 first since according to the TSB 08-093-21, that was supposed to resolve the "SXM icon inoperative". Should I downgrade to 39.6 to see if that corrects it and then go back up to 40.1 or does anyone have another suggestion? If I should downgrade, does anyone have the UAS 39.6 file? I had the XM subscription before I switched radios and would like to have it active on the new "CarPlay" one. Thanks.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have another issue with my install. Everything is up and running once I put the new hub in except the Sirius XM button is inoperative. I upgraded straight to the UAS 40.1 version but am wondering if I needed to go to 39.6 first since according to the TSB 08-093-21, that was supposed to resolve the "SXM icon inoperative". Should I downgrade to 39.6 to see if that corrects it and then go back up to 40.1 or does anyone have another suggestion? If I should downgrade, does anyone have the UAS 39.6 file? I had the XM subscription before I switched radios and would like to have it active on the new "CarPlay" one. Thanks
Shouldn't hurt, definitely worth a shot

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went to 39.6 without a problem but didn't resolve issue with the SXM button. Guess I will just live with it.
That would drive me crazy, I use SiriusXM everyday. Annoys me that there are features on my radio that don't work because it didn't come with my truck whether I used them or not. I'm still annoyed that since upgrading to 40.1 and upgrading my maps that every time I shut my truck off when I get back in it shows presets 7 through whatever instead of 1 through 6. Small annoyance, it just gets my OCD into overdrive.

StoneFree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear you. I have the app for SiriusXM so can use it through Apple CarPlay but that is not as convenient. The only other thing I can try is to get the AlphaODB app and OBDLINK MX+ to see if there is some setting to adjust. SitKneelBend had some suggestions for that. It will be a while because I just spent my extra cash on the new radio, harness & hub. :)

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear you. I have the app for SiriusXM so can use it through Apple CarPlay but that is not as convenient. The only other thing I can try is to get the AlphaODB app and OBDLINK MX+ to see if there is some setting to adjust. SitKneelBend had some suggestions for that. It will be a while because I just spent my extra cash on the new radio, harness & hub. :)
I hear you, just got back from looking at a new camper.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just having a minor issue with my 8.4" upgrade. Apple Car Play has been randomly disconnecting or not connecting. then suddenly connecting. I thought it might be the phone or cable so tried swapping ports in the hub and tried different cables. Even tried my wife's iPhone 15 with USB-C cable. Same problem. Before I pull it apart looking for loose connections, anyone seen this behaviour before? Phones keep charging just CarPlay not working all the time. Its been working for over a year now, on both hub ports and on multiple different phones (iPhone 8, iPhone SE (13 in an 8 body) and iPhone 15 ProMax).

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just having a minor issue with my 8.4" upgrade. Apple Car Play has been randomly disconnecting or not connecting. then suddenly connecting. I thought it might be the phone or cable so tried swapping ports in the hub and tried different cables. Even tried my wife's iPhone 15 with USB-C cable. Same problem. Before I pull it apart looking for loose connections, anyone seen this behaviour before? Phones keep charging just CarPlay not working all the time. Its been working for over a year now, on both hub ports and on multiple different phones (iPhone 8, iPhone SE (13 in an 8 body) and iPhone 15 ProMax).
Try getting a good connection then bouncing up and down in the driver's seat. If it cuts out check the harnesses under the front of the driver's seat nearest the transmission hump.

Ramrob20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 Ram with the 8.4uconnect that is failing. I have access to a 8.4uconnect out of a 2020 Ram that looks like the below picture. Would this work in my 2014 (just the radio obviously, not the trim)? The part number is 68428539AC
Ram-8.4-inch-Screen.jpg

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have a 2014 Ram with the 8.4uconnect that is failing. I have access to a 8.4uconnect out of a 2020 Ram that looks like the below picture. Would this work in my 2014 (just the radio obviously, not the trim)? The part number is 68428539AC
View attachment 535308
Nope. Issues with it.

Look a page or two back for my list of valid 4th Gen ram 4c UAx PNs. Even then you can still run into issues as others have here.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Genuine Mopar/Delphi or knockoff USB Hub?

I have seen this issue with some of the cheaper Chinese clone USB Hubs (60-70% failure rate) ... Sometimes they work for Android Auto only, or charge only, do the connect/disconnect thing or are completely dead.

The Mopar versions are more expensive, but they work consistently.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You supplied it with the harness for single zone ATC and it was in a genuine package. So pretty sure its genuine! It has worked flawlessly for a year or more, so I reckon its either failing or I have a bad connection.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I had to go back and look and see that you were in Australia with a 21 classic right have drive and you got the 2018 Ram Dual Active Port hub...

Does Android Auto still work?

Did you check the hub fuse (F67) at PDC to make sure it's fully seated?

Last edited:

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, 2021/22 Classic converted to RHD here. No idea about Android, I deliberately don't use anything Android wherever possible, although the tablet is (for AlfaOBD) so I'll try plugging it in and see. It still charges iPhones and it randomly connects and disconnects Carplay which is why I think its a bad connection.

When AlfaOBD connects to the car wia the OBDII port it connects to the body computer as an MY2018 Powernet.

Update:

The Galaxy tablet connects and runs the equivalent of Carplay but then randomly dropped off too like the iPhone.

Here is the hub. I took it out and plugged and unplugged it a few times, left it not pushed home into its hole in the seat just in case. It appears to be working again BUT I also noticed that the lightning cable looks like it also is intermittent. So I think I've had a combination of a bad hub connection AND a bad lightning cable. Will see how it goes.

IMG_0476.JPGIMG_0477.JPG

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Been flawless so far.
PS: was trying to find this and someone bumped it up so I could find it. Make sure the USB Cable from radio in the back can fully seat into the hub of it happens again. See this post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517