Hub and Bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
My OEM hub bearings had a bit of play at 65K miles and I have stock wheels and tires. Replaced them with SKF X-hub bearings and so far so good at 120K miles. The OEM units suffered from seal failure that allowed water intrusion into the bearings. I think that caused the premature failure.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In case somebody wants to replicate. This abomination reminded me of the Fab Four Grumper system for the JK and we had a big laugh about that thing when pics reached the JK forums. Not my cup of tea can you tell ? :) but because we all have different tastes here you go. I'm sure it's the same system no doubts. Truck market seems more inline with Fab Four vision of the Grumper style.

https://fabfours.com/dodge-2500-5500/

Last edited:

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I doubt those are rock sliders. What rocks are you crawling on 26” alum wheels with a Deep dish hahahahaha.
I think they are for looks, but still sexy. Although this isn't my taste of truck either, it's still nice looking! Also most offroaders today are leaving steel wheels behind for aluminum. Yes he had the grumper (Fab Fours) bumper and windshield surround.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think they are for looks, but still sexy. Although this isn't my taste of truck either, it's still nice looking! Also most offroaders today are leaving steel wheels behind for aluminum. Yes he had the grumper (Fab Fours) bumper and windshield surround.

Alum wouldn't be the problem. Mopar has some nice beadlock alum wheels that you could throw anything you want to them and they were not super expensive but they're 17" https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/functional-bead-lock-wheel-07-18-jeep-wrangler-jk-jl

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The positive offset combined with the tremendous increase in wheel diameter places more load on the hub bearings than they were ever designed for. Perhaps there is an aftermarket answer!

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I would never have put that much meat under a truck with unit bearings... Full-float hubs are definitely the next upgrade you need if you don't have them already. I've had a unit bearing fail at 70mph with BFG 35's... I couldn't imagine the chaos if one failed with those tires...