I will be upgrading my front suspension.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dadbern

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L hemi
I will be replacing my entire front suspension over the weekend and I will post pictures as i proceed:

Currently 93K miles, everything up front is stock except the new Moog strut assemblies I put in in September and the rough country 2.5" leveling kit. One strut is already leaking so since I have to go back in, might as well do the whole job.

New Components:

Moog cast steel lower control arms
Moog sway bar end links
Moog inner and outer tie rods and new boots
Timken hubs / bearings
Carquest axle shafts, new stub shaft for the drivers side, cant locate a new one for the passenger side
JBA Offroad upper control arms
KYB Truck strut plus strut assemblies

attached are the pictures of all my parts and a before picture of my truck. I don't expect any change in the way the truck looks as the leveling kit is installed, but, with the KYB struts with no leaks, new tie rods and the way improved upper control arms I expect a lot of difference in the ride especially when I go fishing and hunting in some hard to reach places.

Nothing is broken except the leaking shock and my tie rods are a little loose, I just don't want to take everything apart a third time if something breaks after I change the struts, my dad taught me the vakue of preventative maintenance.

Attachments

• 17555.jpeg
    17555.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 17556.jpeg
    17556.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 17557.jpeg
    17557.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 26
  • 17558.jpeg
    17558.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 16207.jpeg
    16207.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 28

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I will be replacing my entire front suspension over the weekend and I will post pictures as i proceed:

Currently 93K miles, everything up front is stock except the new Moog strut assemblies I put in in September and the rough country 2.5" leveling kit. One strut is already leaking so since I have to go back in, might as well do the whole job.

New Components:

Moog sway bar end links
Timken hubs / bearings
Carquest axle shafts, new stub shaft for the drivers side, cant locate a new one for the passenger side

attached are the pictures of all my parts and a before picture of my truck. I don't expect any change in the way the truck looks as the leveling kit is installed, but, with the KYB struts with no leaks, new tie rods and the way improved upper control arms I expect a lot of difference in the ride especially when I go fishing and hunting in some hard to reach places.

Nothing is broken except the leaking shock and my tie rods are a little loose, I just don't want to take everything apart a third time if something breaks after I change the struts, my dad taught me the vakue of preventative maintenance.
Nothing wrong with doing preventative maintenance.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

New Components:

Moog sway bar end links
Timken hubs / bearings

Steering Stabilizer?
polyurethane bushings?
change power steering fluid?
Flat Black Rustolum
Fluid Film

OP
OP
dadbern

dadbern

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L hemi
changing differential fluid, all bushings will be polyurethane, good idea to change the power steering fluid also

Fluid film?

OP
OP
dadbern

dadbern

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L hemi
not worried about rust preventative as it is pretty dry here in colorado springs. Not sure that I have a steering stabilizer

OP
OP
dadbern

dadbern

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L hemi
Are you talking about the sway bar? I am replacing the endlinks (bar to Control Arm), but, I previously replace the frame to bar bushings. Not planning on replacing the bar just yet.

OP
OP
dadbern

dadbern

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L hemi
according to the chilton, On 2013 and later 1500 models with 3.6l v6 or 5.7 l v8 engines, a dry gear electric power steering system is used and there is no power steering fluid

the steering stabilizer is the sway bar, the picture below shows it on a 2wd (item 1) but it is in the same spot on a 4wd, there is also a rear stabilizer

Attachments

• PXL_20220128_180947242.jpg
    PXL_20220128_180947242.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 23

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah that's why I was curious to see where Zoe was talking about power steering fluid and a steering stabilizer... neither of those exist on 1500's . Pre-2013 they did have power steering fluid.

No need for a steering stabilizer on rack-and-pinion IFS, the rack is damped.

Sway bars aren't generally referred to as steering stabilizers.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Yeah that's why I was curious to see where Zoe was talking about power steering fluid and a steering stabilizer... neither of those exist on 1500's . Pre-2013 they did have power steering fluid.

No need for a steering stabilizer on rack-and-pinion IFS, the rack is damped.

Sway bars aren't generally referred to as steering stabilizers.

The OP has a 2.5" lift. I would be surprised if they did not add a steering stabilizer/dampener with it. If it was not added it is something he should look into adding., especially if he is going to add larger tires.

OP
OP
dadbern

dadbern

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L hemi
it was a level kit, I went with 275/70/17 bf goodrich TA KO 2's on fuel crush rims. But no stabilizer added. Tires a little bigger than stock but not a major change, just got rid of the 20 inch rims. I like more tire and less rim.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The OP has a 2.5" lift. I would be surprised if they did not add a steering stabilizer/dampener with it. If it was not added it is something he should look into adding., especially if he is going to add larger tires.
Can you find one for a 2017 ram 1500 4wd please. I’d love to see what it looks like on a 2017 ram 1500 4wd with front ifs. I have not been able to find one myself.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Just be aware that moog and timken are not the quality they used to be known for, they moved down to chicom town and the quality went with it. I bought a set of links and bearings that didn't last one damn season, had to spend the loot on Synergy parts but they are worth it.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
it was a level kit, I went with 275/70/17 bf goodrich TA KO 2's on fuel crush rims. But no stabilizer added. Tires a little bigger than stock but not a major change, just got rid of the 20 inch rims. I like more tire and less rim.
I'm not saying you need a dual set up. But I think you should look into it. I also think you will like the results.

I have a 2500 that has a stabilizer standard.
Maybe your 1500 doesn't need it but I'd look into it.

"
What Does a Steering Stabilizer Do?
Sure, most of us probably already know what a steering stabilizer is used for, and if you do you can skip this section. There are however, probably those out there that don't, and it's important to know what a steering stabilizer does for your vehicle before discussing the differences between the two types.

So, lets get right into it, you've just lifted your truck and put some big old tires on it. Great, right? Well of course it is, until you start to experience the vibrations that sometimes come with those larger tires. This is where the steering stabilizer comes into play. It serves one major purpose and that is to minimize these vibrations, that are associated with your large tires. The steering stabilizer gives you improved handling and better ride quality by dampening the side to side motion of your tires. Much like shock absorbers dampen the up and down movement of your vehicle. "

Last edited:

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
LOL old Chevy trucks have a pitman and idler arm system not a steering rack like we have on rams. There is no need for steering dampers other than for show because they look kewl on the bigger trucks

OP
OP
dadbern

dadbern

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L hemi
Thanks, a lot of good information

did one side this weekend, got hung up trying to get the lower control arm bolts out, they were fused to the bushings. Didin't have my grinder to cut them off, had to wait for my son to bring it back and I had to run to the dealer to get new bolts. Got it aligned today and I will do the passenger side later this week in between snow storms.

Sad to hear Timken is not the same, sucks, I always relied on them and Moog. SYKRAMMAN Who is your go to now for bearings?

Moog also got sold to another company which never helps.

Mate91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Magnum
Hi all!

I want to by crossmember bushing ( Oem: 52113134AA) but i didn't find anywhere in stock. Can you offer me a shop where i can order? and it shipped wordwide?
Thx