Idle/Drive hours accumulation - Let's figure it out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
My info is based off talking to and listening to Mopar Mechanics and those who I believe to be knowledgeable Cummins owners, my self I have wonderer when using high idle over 1000 rpm during warm up would count as run time or idle.. Also based on the idle hours I saw reported a while back on my truck leads me to believe what I posted to be true, i.e. out of 72 engine hours it showed 12 hours were listed as idle time even though I do not warm up engine longer then 2 minutes or a need to have cool down time since I bought it..
Thanks for the response. Your sources are like my sources. Until I see documentation it remains an unanswered subject. The best part is it's not important, it is what it is.

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I’m new to RAMs , so this conversation has been a learning experience for me. Today, while waiting on my wife, I discovered the engine run and idle time counter. I’m quite familiar with aircraft engine maintenance and time cycle counters but Didn’t know I had an electronic counter on my truck. Neat! Now that I have this data, what are we to do with it?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I’m new to RAMs , so this conversation has been a learning experience for me. Today, while waiting on my wife, I discovered the engine run and idle time counter. I’m quite familiar with aircraft engine maintenance and time cycle counters but Didn’t know I had an electronic counter on my truck. Neat! Now that I have this data, what are we to do with it?
We get on the forum and discuss how is it counted. :welcome:

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Hahaha!
John, that’s so obvious, I’m embarrassed that I had to ask the question……..

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If you really want to see how it works you could find out. Put up the display, sit in park for 5 minutes, then in D for five minutes with foot on brake. Did Idle time go up 10 minutes or five. Pretty much tell you if sitting at a stop light counts towards idle time or not.

Now do the same thing with the idle pumped up to 1200 RPM. You have now answered all questions raised in 5 pages of speculation and know not a thing comments. To be fair I only read the first 3 posts and the last page so there may be some brilliant insight in between.

Personally I don't really give rat so it won't be me checking this out.:):waytogo:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Like John Jensen said. Start a thread to discuss it.
:33::D

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Might have to sit a bit, because idle and drive hours are in whole hours. At least, on mine they are.

Going to see just what mine do on the way home from work. I have to run about 30-45 minutes away, then another 35-40 home, unless traffic sucks worse than normal...

Pics to follow starting at 3 pm. Stay tuned...

In fact, will start a new thread to try to make sense of my numbers.

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Like John Jensen said. Start a thread to discuss it.
:33::D

Then that’s about all this data is good for…….speculation and discussion to no particular end except for the stake of the speculation and discussion.
I’ll drink to that….

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thought I would start a thread on Idle/Drive hours, since there has been a bit of discussion lately.

I have to take a 30-45 minute jaunt to my Wife's Dr. to pick up some paperwork, then another 45 minute or so drive home.

2015 Ram 1500 SLT QC 5.7L 2WD 148,232.8 Miles

At startup, here's my hour count. Note the whole hour totals, no decimal exists, and I do not know how close I am to the next hour.

20220729_145953.jpg

I will keep track of (best I can) my time idling at stop lights, and total time elapsed. Will repost after I reach my first destination, when I leave that place, and when I arrive home.

Will hopefully post distance, elapsed time and idle time.

Started engine - 2:59pm

We will see just how my Idle Hour counter works....Maybe...?

Stay tuned.....

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Arrived at destination, 3:28pm

Idle Hours changed to 369 @ 3:10 pm
Idle time 7 min 45 seconds.
20220729_153055.jpg

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Left destination 3:34 pm
Arrived home 4:09 pm

20220729_160910.jpg

Idle time approx 8 min 45 seconds (accidentally forgot to turn off timer).

So far, 63 minutes total, with 16-1/2 minutes of idle

Will continue data tomorrow.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Left destination 3:34 pm
Arrived home 4:09 pm

View attachment 499165

Idle time approx 8 min 45 seconds (accidentally forgot to turn off timer).

My idle time bumped up an hour just a few minutes after I left.

Will continue data tomorrow.
Going east seems to be noticiably cooler Ed,lol :Big Laugh:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Someone asked if I stopped at red lights, just don't seem to see any!
You know, yesterday wasn't that bad for me hitting the lights, only really hit 3 or 4 on each leg, and didn't have to sit very long, some days it seems like I leave one and the next one changes before I get there. I had a few minutes of idle at startup while I typed out my posts.

In my area, I don't think the transportation people know how to time traffic lights, or even if they have the capability. Sometimes, it sure seems like I hit almost every one.

We got this new intersection near where I live, called a CFI for Continuous Flow Intersection. The first one in Florida.

I think it should be called a Cluster F*ck Intersection. In no way is it continuous flow.

Here's a vid:

In the mornig, the traffic in the turn lanes for the crossovers spills out and extends at least 1/4 mile or so into the left lane of 3. So, you've got the left lane of three blocked on a 55mph road at 6:30 am. Plus people slow down (or even stop) in lane 2, so the can cut in at a gap in the traffic for the left turn crossover.

Plus, in the same direction, you go through the main intersection, and have to stop at the crossover light for the opposite direction.

I really think somebody's brother-in-law got the contract, just how things work sometimes. They couldve made a huge conventional intersection, and left room to expand it, as there was hardly anything there.

Since it was built, they stripped out trees on one corner for a mile in both directions, and are putting over 1000 homes in, because this area is growing so fast.

Cluster F*ck, it is.

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just realized that somehow I didn't start a new thead. Not sure how it happened, I typed the title....did I somehow pick a new one?

Will see if the mods can untangle it.

Maybe they did it.....lol

Sorry to hijack this one

Last edited: