Idle/Drive hours accumulation - Let's figure it out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Drove to the in-laws for dinner, a couple blocks from home. When I got in this am to leave for work, noticed Drive hours had increased.

20220730_055620.jpg

Left for work 5:58, arrived 6:30, had 3 minutes 13 seconds Idle time out of 32 minutes travel.

20220730_063015.jpg

Have to make a couple stops on way home, but should have another increase on drive hours. Idle hours might take a bit yet.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Idling is always and has always been considered 0 mph with 0 throttle input.
Ie. Idling in the driveway in park, or idling at a red light in gear, etc.

Add throttle and you aren't idling no matter what speed you are going.
Going 20 mph with 0 percent throttle is called coasting.
Hypermiling too

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
FWIW, I guess my HEMI is worn slap a** out ...

Attachments

• IMG_20220730_094814812.jpg
    IMG_20220730_094814812.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 3

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I'm not concerned about knowing idle/drive time on my HEMI. It isn't, in my opinion, to be an accurate electronically metered feature as the same as the fuel usage/mileage calculation ... just another "something" added feature(s) for the salesman to say: " Hey! Take a look at this information feature ... Man! Your gonna love keeping track of this stuff !! " ... Oh, well.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
FWIW, I guess my HEMI is worn slap a** out ...

I'm not concerned about knowing idle/drive time on my HEMI. It isn't, in my opinion, to be an accurate electronically metered feature as the same as the fuel usage/mileage calculation ... just another "something" added feature(s) for the salesman to say: " Hey! Take a look at this information feature ... Man! Your gonna love keeping track of this stuff !! " ... Oh, well.
Man, that's an interesting display.

More curiousity on my part. I just figured I'd test it out and see how it turns out.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Man, that an interesting display.

More curiousity on my part. I just figured I'd test it out and see how it turns out.
Keep it going, a lot of us are following your data. Glad that you are making the effort. :cheers:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I'm sure you all know how my wife reacted when she saw me using my phone stopwatch at a traffic light.......lol.
I can only imagine, she's probably thinking you've lost it and is afraid to ask LOL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've often wondered this as well.... so, it sounds like anytime the speedo is at zero it's counting towards idle? It would almost make more sense that it's only when in "park" but whatever.

I just checked mine and with 90,100 miles I'm at 3152 total, 2950 driving, 202 idling. Pretty depressing that I've spent 202 hours of my life over the last 5 years sitting in traffic or waiting for my wife. Maybe I should learn to knit.
Lol. I'll keep an eye out for mtofell waiting on the wife men's socks.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Might be thinking it, but actually asked "What are you doing that for?". Then when I told her, then she said it was stupid......lol
Typical loving wife answer
Usually means she didn't understand a word you said
Been there, and heard that, for 55 years before mine passed away 12 years ago. Haven't heard it since.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Lol. I'll keep an eye out for mtofell waiting on the wife men's socks.

Been there, and heard that, for 55 years before mine passed away 12 years ago. Haven't heard it since.
Very sorry to hear that, John.

Funny story, was out with the Wife and my Grandson one day. Something happened (I forget what), and my Grandson asked, "PaPaw, where's your balls?" I said, "They're in MeMe's purse." I thought he was going to die laughing. The Wife just shot me 'the look'......LOL

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Very sorry to hear that, John.

Funny story, was out with the Wife and my Grandson one day. Something happened (I forget what), and my Grandson asked, "PaPaw, where's your balls?" I said, "They're in MeMe's purse." I thought he was going to die laughing. The Wife just shot me 'the look'......LOL
:banana-mario:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Apparently, the two idle time threads were merged. It had me wondering if I glitched the site or what.

Well, I have hit a snag. I had to make a couple trips yesterday evening, and totally forgot to continue my log, so I am a bit off-kilter

I will restart my data collection tomorrow.

The only thing I am unsure of is if Drive time is a total thing and Idle time is a portion of that total or separate from.

So far the two seem to be separate.

In the scheme of things, it probably isn't a huge deal, just my own curiousity at this point.

Sorry for the interruption.

Last edited:

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
John, I’m sorry to hear that. I loss my wife 17 years ago , after 34 years together.

Well, now……..back to our RAMs…….:)

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Might be thinking it, but actually asked "What are you doing that for?". Then when I told her, then she said it was stupid......lol
Momma knows Best !!!!!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
John, U still hear it all the time in your head. Same, as once in a while, I hear things in my head too that "Momma" said, or did, or whatever that hit a Memory Nerve. Mine has been gone over 6, so I know where U be. As far as keeping track of idle hours, I cannot answer that in a kind PC way, besides, SO !!!!!!!. Maybe more important to keep truck MX maintained well, and proper oil change intervals, and good oil, filters, etc., all this IMHO (very humble for sure)

ARGH: Now gonna be bummed out rest of the day, Life, Yup Sucks, but wait: Got a Ball game on Today, maybe team win, that help a lil.

Last edited: