If you have a 8HP70 Trans and have had a shudder...Please tell us how you fixed it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I've read all the posts on here about transmission shudder, but I've not seen many solutions or fixes.

So, if you have the 8HP70 transmission, have experience shudder between shifts and fixed it, please tell us what you did to fix it

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealer replaced the transmission. Then 2 years later it did it again. I traded the truck in lol

Glenn Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the shudder in my 2014 QC Laramie 4x4 5.7 with a 8HP70 tranny with 3.21 gears and 260,000 KM. I did several things over about 1.5 years. Finally this past weekend my Son (Auto Mechanic) and I did a tranny swap. I found a tranny out of a 2016 ram with only 60,000 KM on it. No more shudder. I have only driven about 200 KM on this one but smooth as silk. Only issue is I can no longer use the gear shift on the steering wheel to manually change gears. I went to the dealer today to see I need to program the new tranny to my truck and was given a bunch of BS. Basically I was told that they could do it for a small charge of 200.00 CDN there is a chance it could fix it or cause other problems and may cause it not to work at all. So for now I am doing more research.

OP
OP
Curt Gobbell

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Glenn, I saw your post in an earlier thread. Nice writeup.

So far. I've priced the following (parts only];
1. Torque converter - new custom = $600 to $1500 usd
2. Torque converter- new oem = $800 to $1200
3. Transmission - used = $700 to $1400
4. Transmission - new = ?

Glenn Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya I am not sure the cost of a new tranny. I get a fair deal on the used and was not 100% sure that was the problem so I went the used route. 200,000 km less than my old one so fresh oil and crossed my fingers that that was the problem. So far it looks like that was it. I have talked to a tranny guy here in town quite a bit this past year so I think I am going to stop in one day and let him have a look at the TC. I personally think that is the cuprite but I am just a backyard mechanic so not 100%. Plus If I was going to remove the Tranny to change the TC and it had 260,000KM on it might just as well change it all. Now if I can only figure out the manual gear shift thing.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Shudder is often a matter of oils and the bands in the tranny slipping (or not 'gripping' as well as they should). It's usually pronounce on shifts, and esp in drive or OD position. Esp if your rig isn't throwing codes, and ESP if the fluid is old or has recently been changed. There could be other reasons the bands aren't gripping enough, but fluid friction is one of them. First off, I would recommend changing with Chrysler transmission fluid ....or, change the old fluid with chrysler fluid if it's old fluid (and shudders). It may take 500-100 miles after an oil change for the shudder to work itself out. If that doesn't do it I would add some anti-shudder agent to the fluid and see how that goes. Chrysler I'm sure has some at their part's counter.

I changed fluid on a Chevy truck years ago and it shuddered like crazy afterwards (about 30-40 miles afterwards). It was kind of violent at times. I read a ton of things and eventually settled in that I was going to need a new tranny. Then I read some forum posts about Penzoil trans fluids that include anti-shudder compound for older vehicles, and a few people had their shudder go away after replacing with the Penzoil. At the time I didn't associate it with my fluid change, but after thinking about it, it made sense. Anyway, figuring I only had $25 to lose I tried it, with new Pensoil Dextron IV, which advertised it included an anti-shudder agent. It worked (after about 50 miles), and never shuddered again. That was about 15 years ago ...and now I have 260k on the truck! I replaced ALL the fluid (by removing the trans cooler line and bleeding out the torque converter -- google how to do it).

So, I can't guarantee that would help you out, but given the relatively low cost I would give it a shot. But check with chrysler and get some of their anti-shudder additive rated for your truck.

If after that, it still does it, I would see what the dealer says.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Note: If you go to a small town chrysler dealer, they 'might' sell you chrysler trans fluid cheaper out of their bulk barrel. Our does, if I ask them. They have a bunch of clean milk jugs in the corner they use ...or you can take down your own (yes it's TRUE ...ha ha and this is 2021!!?). It's like half the price buying it bulk. Just double-ask them to ensure its chrysler fluid. I'm sure it will be, but just double-check.

BTW, Our small town GM dealer does that too with most GM fluids. Me and the parts guy walk into the room they keep all the barrels, with my jugs. He asks me what I want/need and fills it up out of the barrels. Only small-town dealers are going to mess with it. Call around. This works best if you're the mechanic-type and can banter with the parts guy and service guys. I love home-town dealers!

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Note: If you go to a small town chrysler dealer, they 'might' sell you chrysler trans fluid cheaper out of their bulk barrel. Our does, if I ask them. They have a bunch of clean milk jugs in the corner they use ...or you can take down your own (yes it's TRUE ...ha ha and this is 2021!!?). It's like half the price buying it bulk. Just double-ask them to ensure its chrysler fluid. I'm sure it will be, but just double-check.

BTW, Our small town GM dealer does that too with most GM fluids. Me and the parts guy walk into the room they keep all the barrels, with my jugs. He asks me what I want/need and fills it up out of the barrels. Only small-town dealers are going to mess with it. Call around. This works best if you're the mechanic-type and can banter with the parts guy and service guys. I love home-town dealers!
The only approved fluid for the new 8-speeds is ZF's lifeguard 8 (I believe) fluid, which is likely rebranded as Mopar and sold at the dealership. Officially RAM says the new trucks have a lifetime fill and don't need fluid changes, so I doubt any dealerships are doing enough fluid changes to keep bulk fluid around.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Lifetime fill" might be part of the issue. I'm skeptical of that. Clutch friction material is constantly shedding with normal use and age, and so do metal parts inside (to a certain degree). The amount of particles can be affected more or less by conditions which people use their trucks, which can vary widely. For example towing heavy loads up 115 degree AZ mountain roads, vs flat driving empty in Minnesota.

If my were shuddering, and the dealer wasn't able to resolve the problem besides, "Your tranny need to be replaced, sir", I'd change the fluid before spending big $$ to replace the tranny. If that didn't produce results, I'd add some anti-shudder agent.

Last edited:

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
GM was having the same problem with their 8 speed trans and came out with a service bulliten telling service depts to replace fluid with synthetic. So fluid change should fix problem.

John R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'm driving an '18 Ram 2500 Cummins with 52,000 miles on it. I keep a 45 gal tank of fuel in the back as well as a camper shell on it so it's not very light. For the last 5,000 miles or so I've noticed that if I accelerate moderately hard up through 50-60 mph, when it shifts to 4th it barks the rear tires. This isn't much of a problem but after reading the previous comments I wonder if this is early onset of the shudder you're discussing. What do you think?

David Wellman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only approved fluid for the new 8-speeds is ZF's lifeguard 8 (I believe) fluid, which is likely rebranded as Mopar and sold at the dealership. Officially RAM says the new trucks have a lifetime fill and don't need fluid changes, so I doubt any dealerships are doing enough fluid changes to keep bulk fluid around.
you can use Valvoline maxlife, i use it in my 2018 hp70 30,000 miles no shudder it shifts better than oem junk fluid. and its 20.00 bucks a gallon.

Last edited:

BroncoLar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya I am not sure the cost of a new tranny. I get a fair deal on the used and was not 100% sure that was the problem so I went the used route. 200,000 km less than my old one so fresh oil and crossed my fingers that that was the problem. So far it looks like that was it. I have talked to a tranny guy here in town quite a bit this past year so I think I am going to stop in one day and let him have a look at the TC. I personally think that is the cuprite but I am just a backyard mechanic so not 100%. Plus If I was going to remove the Tranny to change the TC and it had 260,000KM on it might just as well change it all. Now if I can only figure out the manual gear shift thing.
Hey Glen look up Mopardiscountparts.com. A complete trans is $3809.with Torque converter

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Shudder is often a matter of oils and the bands in the tranny slipping (or not 'gripping' as well as they should). It's usually pronounce on shifts, and esp in drive or OD position. Esp if your rig isn't throwing codes, and ESP if the fluid is old or has recently been changed. There could be other reasons the bands aren't gripping enough, but fluid friction is one of them. First off, I would recommend changing with Chrysler transmission fluid ....or, change the old fluid with chrysler fluid if it's old fluid (and shudders). It may take 500-100 miles after an oil change for the shudder to work itself out. If that doesn't do it I would add some anti-shudder agent to the fluid and see how that goes. Chrysler I'm sure has some at their part's counter.

I changed fluid on a Chevy truck years ago and it shuddered like crazy afterwards (about 30-40 miles afterwards). It was kind of violent at times. I read a ton of things and eventually settled in that I was going to need a new tranny. Then I read some forum posts about Penzoil trans fluids that include anti-shudder compound for older vehicles, and a few people had their shudder go away after replacing with the Penzoil. At the time I didn't associate it with my fluid change, but after thinking about it, it made sense. Anyway, figuring I only had $25 to lose I tried it, with new Pensoil Dextron IV, which advertised it included an anti-shudder agent. It worked (after about 50 miles), and never shuddered again. That was about 15 years ago ...and now I have 260k on the truck! I replaced ALL the fluid (by removing the trans cooler line and bleeding out the torque converter -- google how to do it).

So, I can't guarantee that would help you out, but given the relatively low cost I would give it a shot. But check with chrysler and get some of their anti-shudder additive rated for your truck.

If after that, it still does it, I would see what the dealer says.
I have to agree that most of the shudder problems in auto transmissions that I'm familiar with are many times fluid related and usually fresh fluid resolves the problem.

Just for clarity, 8HP series transmissions do not have bands and Chrysler/Ram does not recommend any additives to the fluid.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 056353 miles.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey Glen look up Mopardiscountparts.com. A complete trans is $3809.with Torque converter
He's Canadian,you aren't buying a new one in Canada for 3800 bucks,i speak from s'perience ,lol

Rickp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced my Torque Converter with an upgraded aftermarket unit, its been smooth sailing ever since.

Glenn Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He's Canadian,you aren't buying a new one in Canada for 3800 bucks,i speak from s'perience ,lol
Ya I looked around a bit and once I found the used at 1500 done deal. I tried the fluid chance first ran it for 2 months and it got worse. Since the swap last weekend it has been running just like new. I called another dealer this week and I'm going in on Wednesday to have it relearned. Hopefully that fixes the shift buttons.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
you can use Valvoline maxlife, i use it in my 2018 hp70 30,000 miles no shudder it shifts better than oem junk fluid. and its 20.00 bucks a gallon.
I know there are alternative fluids, I'm running redline in my truck. Just pointing out that the dealership likely wouldn't carry something that is not a licensed fluid.