If your thinking of a k&n cai system....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mopar man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
do it! I was at the truck and Jeep fest in Long Beach today and picked up the complete cai system from the k&n booth. Originally about 300 bucks I got it at a show price of about 235 bucks. Salesman told me it’s dyno proven to add about 16 horsepower to my hemi. Took me about an hour to install. Well let me tell you, my hemi is all stock besides a pedal commander. This cai setup sounds super aggressive when you get on it! Truck definitely pulls harder too. Easily feel the extra horsepower and torque that k&n claims. The sound it gives off is absolutely amazing. Super throaty and aggressive. Can’t wait to hear it with a performance exhaust system

94E31363-67C2-4BDC-93C0-3D022B11EC81.jpeg

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
"Salesman told me it’s dyno proven to add about 16 horsepower tomy hemi. "

Hate to be that guy but he is a SALESMAN... they only regurgitate what their boss says. I have the K&N filter for the normal system, site says increase blah blah. I dont see it but I didnt get it for that I like the intervals of 50k miles and that they have a 1 million/10 year warranty.

OP
OP
Mopar man

Mopar man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well he did give me a dyno sheet based upon a 2009 ram stock and with their system that I bought. Shows the results. If you were in my truck before and after, you would believe the power increase.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't popped the hood on mine yet but is it getting an influx of cooler air from the outside somewhere? If it's not, it's just sucking in the hot air from the motor is it not?

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I trust K&N, but that dyno sheet is reflecting a 15hp gain...thats RWP. Post drivetrain loss...I find that a bit tough to swallow. I could see them claiming 15hp on the motor, but at the wheels?!?! I defer to the true performance guys here for further enlightenment....
It does look nice OP! Enjoy!

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Back in 2012ish, several Average Joe types, did pre, and post CAI Dyno runs, on both V6, and V8 Mustangs. They were consistently reporting getting 15+ HP gains at the rear wheels. You wouldn't think just by looking at it, that a CAI would produce such results. Bumble bees aren't supposed to be able to fly, either.

I can see where if you are sitting still, there's some engine heat counter acting the CAI. But once you get moving again, it goes back to working well.

PowerWagonAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I understand the concept. I've built many motors in my day. It's an air pump. More air in - more power. That I understand. What I don't understand is the tune the cars have today. If there is more air in the system, does it actually add more fuel?

These are not MAF systems correct? These are MAP..

MAP sensors to measure vacuum, the computer calculates the engine air flow based on the vacuum, throttle position, and intake air temperature. ... MAF = Mass Air Flow and is a sensor that measures the actual air flow going into the engine. So how is horsepower increased?

You've heard time and time again - it's not like the old school days where you throw on a K&N and exhaust and expect 40 horsegain. You have to tune the program to act differently.

Am I wrong?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I own a K&M and IMHO, I notice nothing more than the cool sound. I firmly believe that the OEM intake, especially if a more freely flowing filter is used, is probably just as good a CAI as any, and better than most. It's not like the old days where the intake was drawing from directly behind the radiator inside the engine bay.

In reality, the K&N draws air from EXACTLY the same place as the OEM, and even though it probably flows better, it also probably does a worse job of insulating against warm air intrusion,

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP
OP
Mopar man

Mopar man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My engine is brand spankin new. My opinion is the sound is awesome and I can definitely feel it in the seat as well. All the opinions on how does it give more horsepower or the stock one is best....whatever. Same kinda people that say the pedal commander is BS and why don’t you just step on the gas harder. I didn’t write this post to be proven wrong. Simply giving my experience as someone who actually owns it and has tried it going from a bone stock engine to what I have now.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think anyone is knocking your choice of CAI. Sometimes the problem comes when manufactures make claims of x number of HP gains people become a little skeptical. K&N is a popular brand and many people use them and are satisfied with the performance. It should be a good addition to your truck.
Jay

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One part of that ad says 40HP and another part says:
  • Estimated Horsepower Gain of 7.17 HP @ 4643 RPM
I guess the increase is when you put the decal on the window or under the hood
Jay

Each decal gives at least 5HP, everyone knows that. But seriously, this variance is why I really don't think it does all that much. It does help with a built motor and turbo or surpercharger where you need all the air flow you can get, but on a semi stock motor? Only an actual dyno will say for sure, I mean someone dyno there trucks before and after for real world numbers.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
They probably do several dyno runs on each setup and quote the best result. They would never post the data, ex. one car actually lost hp. Get yours today! Haha.

I made my own and noticed it pulled better at higher rpm.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I made my own and noticed it pulled better at higher rpm.

Same here!! Installed a 3" add a tube, free flowing filter and it pulls harder and longer in upper rpm range.
Paint added 25 hp im sure..lol jk

20180614_162027.jpg

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My K&N performance CAI takes its air from the passenger side (right hand) fender while the truck is moving, some hot air gets in during idle. I also added an air scoop that mounts behind the grille to help direct air into the fender, which causes a positive pressure in the passenger side fender, this keeps any hot engine heat from entering the K&N filter. This system, as in all CAI systems, is IMG_0050.JPG IMG_0054.JPG a starting modification, that must also have other modifications to maximize performance.