Ignition switch? Will crank, won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

53jimc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi All,

New here, 2007 Ram 2500 5.9.

Hi All,

I have searched you tube and haven't found a definitive answer.

2007 Ram 2500, 5.9 Diesel, 160000 miles. Runs great... when it runs.

When I shut it down and remove the key, it still ding, ding dings. I put the key back in, pull it out and it stops.

Well, today, I got in it and everything looked good, but when trying to crank it would not start. Nothing... no battery drain, no clicks, no nothing.

Battery V was just over 12v according to the DMM and the panel gauge, that looks normal and goes to just over 14v.., if it starts. I have replaced the bad terminals already and have had no trouble at all with it starting the last couple of weeks.

I put key in/out a bunch of times and it finally started.

Took the shrouds off, pushed ignition switch in/out, dinging started and stopped, sprayed WD40 in everything, now it will crank but won't start.

The gauges come on and indicate fine, the starter works, but it just won't start.

Is there another switch/terminal connected to the ignition lock/key somewhere that I'm not seeing?

Before I did that, it would start, but if I wiggled the key just a tiny bit it would shut the engine off.

It does have a brand new ignition switch in it. (the one on the left side of the steering column).
I put it in a couple weeks ago because I thought that was the problem with HVAC blower not working, but it was the blower motor itself. Replaced blower motor and that fixed that issue.

So, it sits in the driveway, will crank, not start.

Again, it does have a brand new ignition switch that's located on the left side of the steering column. Is there something on the key switch or right side of the steering column that would cause this?

I'm still searching, haven't found a solution yet. Help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim