Ignition wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodgemarshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
1992 and 2000
Engine
I have a 1988 d 150. I have done the 360 magnum swap with mild cam and aluminum heads. I am installing a Holley ****** and am needing help to find out which wire coming from ignition switch stays powered during cranking. I need constant power even through crank for ****** ignition. Any help would be greatly appreciated. PO had made a mess of the wiring and removed the 50 way bulkhead connector.

Ramher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Sounds like if you attached a 12 volt test light to each wire individually while cranking then that would be your wire.

ricks440rt

Reaction score
Ram Year
1987/1988
Engine
5.2/5.9
kind of hard to do if your by yourself if someone could tell him would make it a lot easier !

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
kind of hard to do if your by yourself if someone could tell him would make it a lot easier !
Easier said than done. I literally own 12 of these old Dodges and not a single one has the same wiring in the same place on the bulkhead connector.

Edit: Most of the basic wires are in same/similar locations for things like lights, blower motor control, etc. When it comes to ignition/start/stop/run wires they are all over the place. Add in the introduction of throttle body injection in 1988 and it gets even more convoluted.

A test light with a long enough wire, pinned into the various wires on the bulkhead, and laying up on the cowl, will work to let him see it from the cab while cranking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dodgemarshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
1992 and 2000
Engine
Thanks guys… I ended up putting a time delay relay in and it keeps my ****** powered up while cranking.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
WHAT ARE THE ******* ABOUT .. ARE YOU PUTTING THAT UP OR is the websight replacing your Brand name. SORRY I don't know & i'm just asking .
are there some Word or brand names we're not supposed to use.
.. Or are you just not saying Chevy or Ford on our Chrysler sight .
Just asking .

OP
OP
D

dodgemarshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
1992 and 2000
Engine
NO I didn’t type those in there the forum automatically does that. I have no idea about brands, you would have to ask a moderator.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NO I didn’t type those in there the forum automatically does that. I have no idea about brands, you would have to ask a moderator.

When the site gets crazy with subbing out reasonable words, most of us either add spaces between letters or change the spelling enough that it doesn't mess up our post.

C a r b or chit etc. Or smart a$$.

You can edit your original post so it makes more sense to all. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock