I'm baaaaack...and with no good news...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well, I'm happy to say that my business two hours away is over. Drive home went without a hitch. Well, other than my ******** taking the wrong exit and losing a half hour, LOL.

Anywho, I'm happy to say that the engine runs much smoother than before. The idle doesn't have that constant waver and the throttle input actually has some precise feel to it. The difference in power isn't night and day, but she doesn't hog on the hills quite as bad as before. Still doesn't have that "snap" other V8's I've driven have. Suppose a tune would take care of this? ;)

Unfortunately, the four wheel drive seems completely inoperable. To my embarrassment, my mechanic had to push the truck with his quad while I was gassing it because I got stuck in a, ahem, bit of mud (more like a swamp actually, LOL). Gonna have to poke around underneath tomorrow to look for a busted line or something. Suppose I'll probably have to vacuum test the actuator.

I knew that my four wheel drive was being fickle, but I was planning on attending to it BEFORE the snow flew after I got the truck back. Of course, as that plan got totally shot out of the water, now I have to deal with it in this nutty mix of Winter snow and Spring mud. Oh well, a Texas Ranger carries on.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey, it runs. Everything else is chump change now

Tryin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Nice you got things worked out. Sounds like a real nightmare circus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
A real important bit that I can't believe that I forgot to mention...

Spark knock, even with 87 octane is completely gone. Kapoot. I'm going to have to assume that the massive carbon deposits on the pistons and combustion chambers were the primary cause of this.

I'm thinking, especially considering the notoriety of the problem, that EVERYONE with a Magnum engine should proceed with the plenum repair even if it's not leaking. Years of excess oil burning in the cylinders WILL make things very messy.

Hey, anything other than gas and air blowing up inside the cylinders is bound to cause some sort of problem, right? Damn Chrysler and their power-sucking "software updates" which never truly fixed anything. Now we all gotta shell out extra to dump them and make our V8s run like, well, V8s again, LOL.

Ah well. The Texas Ranger carries on...

Billincamo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 L Ecodiesel
I don't even know what to say about this!

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Wow... Sorry to hear all of this. I'm sure your vaccume lines aren't plugged in...or he cut them? If actuator is having problems buy a cable actuator!! Hope all goes well from here on out.