I'm baaaaack...and with no good news...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Holy shnike! Feel's like it's been forever since I last posted here. Well, actually, it feels like it's been forever since I've done anything involving my truck. That would most likely be due to the fact that 4 months later, I still don't have it. Remember how 4 months ago, I posted that I was having my engine reconditioned as well as a few other things? Well gather round, kiddies! I've got quite a story straight from hell to tell!

Well, actually, my mind is so spun on the matter that I really don't think that I could tell a sensible story. Instead, I'm just going to give a brief summary of things.

-the mechanic took 4 months to do 3 weeks worth of work.

-my hood has a couple nice, deep scratches courtesy of him lifting the truck with an open hood into his ceiling fan.

-it was never specified how he got the truck, sans engine, into the shop. All I know is the rear bumper is tweaked down more than it was before...

-the transfer case seal was installed with the weep hole facing up rather than down. The solution? He cut a hole in the seal with a utility knife.

-he broke the new distributor cap, had to buy another one.

-he had all of the valve-train parts laid out in nice, correct order on a table. One of his psychotic ****ing dogs then knocked everything on the floor, making matched-reassembly impossible.

-he reversed the valve covers (breather and PCV on wrong side of the engine). Took an hour of arguing with PHOTOGRAPHIC PROOF before he replaced them correctly.

-he cut the wrong brake line while replacing the feed line to the drums. Used a compression fitting to fix it.

-my hood latch assembly has completely disappeared. No idea what the hell he did with it.

-he was so confident in his "decking" job on the exhaust manifolds that he decided to install them with Permatex, but no gaskets. Not sure what to think of that one...

-he claims to have decked the block to within .001" using a hand file and a straight edge. We're doubtful on that.

And now things get real spicy! Two weeks ago, he had a HUGE fallout with his woman, who owned the shop, when I was last there. So I got to watch the cops come and cuff and stuff him. His woman then kicked his ass out on the street before he could even finish the truck.

So, pops and I went down last Saturday to finish things. We hooked up the cooling system and dealt with a fuel injector that wouldn't stop leaking. After a couple rounds of o-rings failed to fix the problem, I came up with the idea of switching it with the injector next to it and see if the leak followed the injector or remained. To our surprise, the leak disappeared. Go figure.

Anywho, the moment that I've been waiting for across 4 months: firing up the engine! After a few whirls with the ignition unplugged (to listen for any weird noises) we fired the beast up. The engine fired immediately and boy did she sound strong! Looks like we're finally finished...

And then we notice an enormous white cloud billowing from the exhaust. At first, we thought it might be burnoff of the coolant that found it's way into the exhaust during removal of the engine, but after 5 minutes of running, the smoke did not subside. Big, thick puffs of white smoke continued to burst from the tailpipe. So, we shut the engine off and after a few moments of pondering before realizing that there's nothing else that we could do, we shoved for home.

Fast forward to today. We consulted a (real) professional in the area and he wants to pull the entire engine, send the block to a machine shop to check for cracks and oddities in the specs/mating surfaces and check for anything obvious in the the top end. So, after 4 months of waiting for my truck...I still don't have it! And now I'm on the brink of having the engine pulled a SECOND time! Haven't made a final decision on things yet. I'm so ****ing spun right now that I can't do anything except drown myself in beer. This entire frigging matter has become such a nightmare. My Mountaineer, which was my backup vehicle, needs an alternator (nearly got stranded on the last drive home from work) and a water pump (leaks like a siv). I continued driving my mechanic's Ranger but after he got kicked out of the shop, he nearly called the cops on me to report the truck stolen! What the ****?! Wanting to obviously avoid legal bull****, I dropped it off at his house ASAP. So the last few weeks, I've been hitching a ride to work with my folks. We've all become totally stressed. My mom wants to rip the mechanic's balls off and blast them into oblivion.

I wanted to buy a cooling system pressure tester, go down and confirm if there is indeed a breech in the cooling system. Pops is certain that there's something *****'d inside the engine and that it would be a waste of time to mess with it anymore.

I don't know what to say. I need a beer. A few beers. A lot of beers, LOL.

Hope y'all have had a much happier winter with your trucks than I have.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I'd suspect those heads if that ******* even looked at em.

Might be easier and cheaper to just swap a junkyard motor in

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wow awful story man! Sorry that happened to you and hope all works out....

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
**** **** no! and file to deck the block and heads omg, got gun go visit him. Sure as **** hope u never paid this guy.

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was he a certified mechanic or an on the side "tinkerer turned mechanic?"

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol sorry to hear bud but it might be cheaper to pull the rad cap and buy another truck..

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a load of ****. I really feel bad for you man, nobody should deal with mechanics like that. If he wasn't in jail Id just go beat the hell out of him or just sue him and nail his ass to the wall. I can't believe the moron would deck the block with a hand file...who TF does that. I'd say the heads are probably the issue along with the DIY decking. Best of luck to you with the nightmare, hopefully everything works out much much better next time.

Sent from the howitzer

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Haven't paid him a penny on anything yet. I've already decided that there's absolutely no way I'm paying for anything that involved the engine, which would have been 80% of the overall tab. And concerning the work that he DID do correctly (which so far leaves only the fuel pump and rear u-joint), I'm docking for his other screwups, particularly the hood. The scratches have a good edge to them. Gonna take a lot more than a touch-up pen to make them go away...

It's getting to the point where HE'S going to be owing ME instead. I would much rather not get the law involved with things, but...hell, who knows. I've been trying to keep my cool as best as I can on things, but I'm slipping more and more with each passing day.

The guy has done really good work for my family in the past and is (err, was) a good friend of my dad's. That's why I went with him. I noticed that he's been particularly scatterbrained the last couple times I've been down there. Seems he's been letting his domestic issues interfere with his work, and dudes, I've heard things and even physically been in the midst of things and it's been a huge mess of ******** and drama.

I honestly don't know if I can trust any of the work that he's done. Over a grand in parts and four months of waiting all for this. What. A. Mess.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i don't know how you could have waited so long? should have just ordered a rebuilt engine and install. call it done. could have had it fixed in under a week and you would get the warranty that goes with it. definitely sounds like a bad mechanic

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Haven't paid him a penny on anything yet. I've already decided that there's absolutely no way I'm paying for anything that involved the engine, which would have been 80% of the overall tab. And concerning the work that he DID do correctly (which so far leaves only the fuel pump and rear u-joint), I'm docking for his other screwups, particularly the hood. The scratches have a good edge to them. Gonna take a lot more than a touch-up pen to make them go away...

It's getting to the point where HE'S going to be owing ME instead. I would much rather not get the law involved with things, but...hell, who knows. I've been trying to keep my cool as best as I can on things, but I'm slipping more and more with each passing day.

The guy has done really good work for my family in the past and is (err, was) a good friend of my dad's. That's why I went with him. I noticed that he's been particularly scatterbrained the last couple times I've been down there. Seems he's been letting his domestic issues interfere with his work, and dudes, I've heard things and even physically been in the midst of things and it's been a huge mess of ******** and drama.

I honestly don't know if I can trust any of the work that he's done. Over a grand in parts and four months of waiting all for this. What. A. Mess.

Sorry to hear this, what a friggin nightmare. If you haven't payed him yet, good. "After he got kicked out of the shop". WTF?

Anyway like others said, probably heads. You can probably get a junkyard motor out of a wrecked truck for less that you're gunna pay to get the engine out of the truck at a professional place. I'd check into that.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Bad heads is one thing. But these are brand new, improved-design castings that set me back $600. He hasn't said anything about messing with them, but I can only hope he didn't try some "hand work" on them as well.

Or maybe one of his idiot dogs knocked them onto the ground as well. Who knows. Never trust a mechanic who allows his dogs to roam around in his shop I guess, LOL.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I gotta say, this so-called mechanic is either brain damaged, or a substance abuser. Maybe both. Good luck.

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hate to tell you but you may have to get the law involved if he's having that many personal problems that it's affecting his shop work. That means that'll probably get into you two fighting over the bill. Atleast make sure you have somebody who can have your back if stuff goes bad(legal person).

Sent from the howitzer

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Got tabs on another local mechanic who actually does have references/reputation who is going to take a look at things. As my old mechanic decided it was fine to reuse the old cylinder head bolts, he thinks the bulk of the problem lies there. He'll examine the deck as best as he can. The old mechanic was kind of vague as to his procedure, though I'm not expecting a miracle here...

Also, the new mechanic needs to bleed the brakes (replaced the front calipers) but apparently every new fitting the old mechanic used leaks like a *******. WTF?

The hood's gonna cost between $200-600 to repaint. I spotted a completely different hood for $100 on Craigslist that looks like the same color, but the grill is busted. Can the grill be removed from the hood? Mine's in perfect condition, so I'd obviously swap that on.

For what it's worth, the old mechanic was going to charge me $1,500 for all the work. Ignoring that fact that he would've made less than $100 a week on the job, it would've been a very fair price...if he actually did everything correctly without further damaging my truck, LOL.

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
Sounds like you out for quite a bit oof money, that more than likely he doesn't have, but a civil lawsuit would at least get you vehicle legally returned to you, and possibly an award of funds, but good luck in getting paid, just get the vehicle back and do the lawsuit in civil court and not worry bout getting the money, do you have a signed work order or was it verbal, if verbal it's his word against yours and possession is 9/10's the law.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Alright, guys, my new mechanic just finished up. He's 100% positive that the problem with the engine was the old cylinder head bolts. Aside from the fact that they were the old ones, 3 of them were torqued so tight that his half-inch impact gun wouldn't touch them. He had to use a BF breaker bar to crack 'em loose. If I later find that these heads are cracked, I'm gonna pull a Dom Toretto on the old mechanic with a torque wrench. Getting pretty close to that point anyway, LOL.

Heading down with the old man in a little bit to pick her up. Let's hope everything works out.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Alright, guys, my new mechanic just finished up. He's 100% positive that the problem with the engine was the old cylinder head bolts. Aside from the fact that they were the old ones, 3 of them were torqued so tight that his half-inch impact gun wouldn't touch them. He had to use a BF breaker bar to crack 'em loose. If I later find that these heads are cracked, I'm gonna pull a Dom Toretto on the old mechanic with a torque wrench. Getting pretty close to that point anyway, LOL.

Heading down with the old man in a little bit to pick her up. Let's hope everything works out.

Don't use a torque wrench! Then it'll be out of calibration.
Use a cheater bar