I'm New! 02 V6 or 99 V8?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brendon

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
Hey everyone,
My name is Brendon, which you can tell by my username. I'm a high school student from New Albany, Ohio - which is a nice suburb town inside of Columbus. I'm 17 years old, and I like girls, cars, and sports. I'm an extremely impulsive adrenaline junkie. I am newly more interested in trucks and mudding and such, so I'll come here for help And questions first. I'm looking at cars, and I am stuck between a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 V6 (215 HP - 15/20 MPG) and a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 (230 HP - 12/17 MPG). I'm excited to join the the community, so could you guys please give me your recommendations?

I have a lot of friends who go around to car meets and such and they have extremely quick Supra's, Camaro's, Mustang's, and their parents have Ford GT's and Lambo's and such, so my goal is to hang with the newer tuners and muscle cars in terms of how quick my car is.

2002 V6 or 1999 V8? You be the judge. I have to work after school most days, so I'll be funding my car project on my own, so also if you could please give me advice and recommendations in terms of modifications and such, feel free. I could definitively use the advice.

Thanks everyone,
Brendon

Last edited:

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
The heavy truck is not going to keep up with those cars.

Go with the V8 its not that big a difference in the mpgs, and you get the power

Welcome

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
That's a NO BRAINER IMO!!! V8 Look at the torque numbers, NOT the HP numbers. Those two trucks are old tech and not something I'd put up against any of the cars you listed unless you heavily modify it.

What V8 is that? The HP sounds like a 360.

Chris

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brendon

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
Welcome. That's a clean looking 2g.

That's exactly what I thought. I texted the guy about it and tried to get more pictures, and I haven't gotten a response yet. I hope it all works out because I wanna try to go pick something up tomorrow after school.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
5.2L is a 318 if memory serves. I don't think they made 230BHP but I may be wrong there as well.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone,
My name is Brendon, which you can tell by my username. I'm a high school student from New Albany, Ohio - which is a nice suburb town inside of Columbus. I'm 17 years old, and I like girls, cars, and sports. I'm an extremely impulsive adrenaline junkie. I am newly more interested in trucks and mudding and such, so I'll come here for help And questions first. I'm looking at cars, and I am stuck between a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 V6 (215 HP - 15/20 MPG) and a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 (230 HP - 12/17 MPG). I'm excited to join the the community, so could you guys please give me your recommendations?

I have a lot of friends who go around to car meets and such and they have extremely quick Supra's, Camaro's, Mustang's, and their parents have Ford GT's and Lambo's and such, so my goal is to hang with the newer tuners and muscle cars in terms of how quick my car is.

2002 V6 or 1999 V8? You be the judge. I have to work after school most days, so I'll be funding my car project on my own, so also if you could please give me advice and recommendations in terms of modifications and such, feel free. I could definitively use the advice.

Thanks everyone,
Brendon

Ahh...New Albany, OH. That takes me back! I see things haven't changed much.

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get the v8. There will be more aftermarket parts for it.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
Welcome!!

Go with the V8. You won't be disappointed. Truck looks sharp by the way.

OP
OP
B

Brendon

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
Ahh...New Albany, OH. That takes me back! I see things haven't changed much.
Haha, I like what you bolded & colored. And nope, things haven't changed much at all. Were you from New Albany?

Get the v8. There will be more aftermarket parts for it.
That's what I'm thinking. Easier to make it faster.

Welcome!!

Go with the V8. You won't be disappointed. Truck looks sharp by the way.
Thank you!

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha, I like what you bolded & colored. And nope, things haven't changed much at all. Were you from New Albany?

About 15 miles away, yes. Moved away in 2000.

OP
OP
B

Brendon

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
Found a 95 for $1800. Might go check it out tonight, hopefully it works out.

About 15 miles away, yes. Moved away in 2000.
Oh, okay. Yeah, same ol' stuff here that you'd obviously imagine.