V6 or V8?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLFBSManiac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hello Ram Fans,
Dumb question from an old guy…
I’m going to buy a Ram Crew Cab 1500 4x4 for an everyday driver. Grocery getter and tool hauler for playing handyman to my 5 adult daughters.
Any hauling / towing will be light.
I am l looking at 2014 thru 2018 Rams. Am I a fool to consider a V6?
Had to retire early due to health (60)
and $$ is an obstacle. So I’m looking for advice on which engine the forum would recommend.
Thanks.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Either one should work. The V6 has been robust and hasn't suffered from particular weaknesses like lifter issues, etc. You probably don't drive with a lead foot either.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Try the v6 first. If you like how it drives, it should work well for your needs.

If I was in your position I'd also give the GM twins a look, with the 2.7 turbo. It will keep up with the hemi for daily driving and feel much stronger than the v6 in the Ram. It's built like a tank too (overkill) so don't worry about the 4 cylinder part of that. It's one of two engines GM tried to kill in their testing, but couldn't. Might be a little more money than what you want to spend though.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m in the process of trading my 2015 Jeep Wrangler with the 3.6 v6 for a Ram 1500. I can tell you that the 3.6 is a fantastic engine. 300hp and a strong engine. I’ve got 67,000 on the Jeep and she’s going strong. Not sure how it would feel in a full size truck, but in my Jeep it’s awesome. The truck I’m getting Tuesday has the hemi, because I want a truck to do truck things. For light work the Ram with a v6 would probably be okay. I can speak highly of the 3.6.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As stated the V6 should be good for your needs. The only issue they've had is the plastic oil filter housing. It tends to crack & leak. Others here in the forum have replaced it with a metal assembly. Other than that minor issue it's a great engine.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I have a V6 and use it similar to what you are asking. It has more than enough power for my needs. If you like to flat-foot it and like a V8 rumble then you'd be better off with the Hemi. I have a liter-bike that I use for my "fun" transportation :)

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The V6 will be substantially cheaper to buy as the demand for them is pretty low. They are also harder to find because few people order it with a V6. For what you are planning to do, there are many many choices of vehicles that would do the job. Let us know what you end up with.

OP
OP
F

FLFBSManiac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Wow, thanks for the input everyone.
I was concerned that the V6 would be underwhelming or that the Hemi would be too pricey for an everyday driver. I do have an occasional lead foot but I try to save that for FLFBS FatBoy (lead wrist). I get the impression that either will do the job.
Thanks again.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try the v6 first. If you like how it drives, it should work well for your needs.

If I was in your position I'd also give the GM twins a look, with the 2.7 turbo. It will keep up with the hemi for daily driving and feel much stronger than the v6 in the Ram. It's built like a tank too (overkill) so don't worry about the 4 cylinder part of that. It's one of two engines GM tried to kill in their testing, but couldn't. Might be a little more money than what you want to spend though.
Tell more about the GM 2.7 please. I was sad that the new Colorado will only get this engine in 3 power levels. I was hoping it would keep a V6. And in way off fantasy land, for the ZR2 I was hoping for it could swipe the Caddy Blackwing V6 retuned for a truck, 430/430 would have been nice numbers :)
With Ford toying with a Raptor Ranger, they can really play with a powerplant for it.
I drove a Silverado with the 2.7, it seemed.... average, to me. I'dd like to know about GM's work behind it now. I know when they came out with the Z06 and ZR1 'vettes and some engines were blowing, alot of unhappy customers. I am at the frame that I just figure all the manufacturers use the customers as testbeds and could really care less about them. Just business.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As mentioned the 6 cylinder will get the job done but the hemi will make you smile:D every time never gets old lol.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There's a class action lawsuit over the 8-speed transmission that commonly found behind those engines. Also class action lawsuits are being filled against the 10 speed transmission from GM that was co-developed with Ford and they have a class action lawsuit against them too for their version of the 10 speed.
The 8HP transmission design used in the Ram is probably one of the best out there and is used by many manufacturers, it's about as bulletproof as you can get in a transmission nowadays.

Heatheroo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I don't have an strong opinion on V8 vs. V6, but I will commiserate with the handy-man for adult daughters thing. I only have two to deal with, so five sounds like a full time job.

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having owned both a '19 Classic 3.6 V6 and now a Limited with the 5.7 Hemi I can state that the V6 was exceptional for what it is. A great choice for what you are looking for and with the appropriate limitations, it still tows pretty good. The only reason I stepped up to the V8 was because my situation changed and I am towing more (more often and more weight) than I was when I purchased the V6. If I didn't tow, I would gladly get another V6. The 3.6 is actually a really nice engine all around.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There's a class action lawsuit over the 8-speed transmission that commonly found behind those engines. Also class action lawsuits are being filled against the 10 speed transmission from GM that was co-developed with Ford and they have a class action lawsuit against them too for their version of the 10 speed.
The 8HP transmission design used in the Ram is probably one of the best out there and is used by many manufacturers, it's about as bulletproof as you can get in a transmission nowadays.

The old 8 speed is definitely clunky, the new 8 speed isn't and neither is the 10 speed. Class actions don't mean much.

If anyone needs a class action lawsuit, I'd day Ram needs one or two for good measure just for giving us hemi tick.

The problem with your view point is you can't just look at one aspect of truck ownership. It's the entire package that matters, and Ram's quality isn't exactly best in class either. Yes the ZF is amazing, the rest of the truck... very much hit or miss.

With the GM you'll find similar things to rave and rant about. I don't subscribe to brand bias.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have V8,never towing anything,using the truck as a daily driving to work,shopping etc,even if it burns more gas is alright, for me a truck have to have 8V,this is a must,but that's my own 3 cents ,good luck with your truck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01