I'm skeptical about a service department and need an answer....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AbruptEnforcement

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So before I begin this thread, some of y'all may have remember from a few days ago my thread here;

That thread went over most the issues, not all, but most the issues my Dad has had with his 2019.

Tonight I decided to spend $40.00 for a Carfax Report on his truck. After reviewing the Carfax I am somewhat skeptical, but need some answers.

The Carfax really only showed a minimal amount of issues that actually occurred within the timespan of owning the truck.

To state, here are some of issues my dad has had;
Power Mirrors that fail to fold out.
The actual "starter" went bad.
The "RF Hub" went bad.
The joints that connect the exhaust and muffler, "broke."
The ParkSense sensors have failed 3+ different times and still fail to work properly.
The Tailgate Handle gets stuck when attempting to open when pressed.
The entire overhead lighting compartment needed replaced due to dome lights not working.
4-5 cylinders needed replaced due to "Cylinder Misfires."
The "Throttle Cable" needed fixed.
An electronic part at the back of the engine needed replaced.
and there are many more that I cannot remember.

Here's what the Carfax did state the "dealership has replaced or serviced";
The Power Mirrors that fail to fold out - occurred at roughly 5,000 miles.
The joints that connect the exhaust and muffler- done at Mitas- not applicable to dealership. - occurred at roughly 62,000 miles.
The Tailgate Handle that failed to open. - occurred at roughly 33,000 miles.
The overhead lighting compartment. - occurred at roughly 61,000 miles.

Here's what the Carfax did not state;
The starter that went bad on a 2019.
The RF Hub electronic that failed.
The ParkSense sensors that failed on many occasions.
The 4-5 cylinders that needed replaced.
The throttle cable that needed replaced.
The electronic part at the back of the engine.

My question is, is this normal? Is it normal to not post things like this to the service record? Imagine someone wanting to buy this- not knowing that some somewhat major things have been replaced.

I find it strange and I am skeptical of the service department.

Please let me know if this is normal.

Thanks.

Last edited:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't want to say it's normal, but it's very typical for carfax to only be a very rough estimate in terms of what work is actually done to the vehicle.

Work done at some shops won't even show up on a carfax. To me, CF is best used as a rough guideline for service records.

It's more of an accurate guideline to how many owners the vehicle has had, what type of owner and mileage per year.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One think you didn't say is it a etorque equipped 5.7 hemi that might explain some of your problems especially with the starter.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
One think you didn't say is it a etorque equipped 5.7 hemi that might explain some of your problems especially with the starter.
Etorque equipped hemi's aren't any harder on the starter than non-etorque hemi's. Ram 1500's with stop/start use the generator/motor that mounted to the engine in place of the alternator to start the engine during stop/start operation. The main starter is only used when starting the truck with the fob or the push button.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As a seller I would be glad if I had a lemon that I was trying to unload and the carfax only showed a few items like that...as a buyer not happy at all.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not to defend Carfax, but if the place that is repairing the vehicle doesn't put the maintenance into a network system that Carfax can pull from, it will never come up. Could be the repair facility doesn't have a system that "touches" what ever Carfax pulls from. When I had some body damage repair done to one of my cars, it didn't show up on the Carfax, I asked the auto body place why and they said their system is "in house" for their tracking only and doesn't touch other system with data. Made sense to me. Obviously Carfax can pull from insurance and state systems because that information always seems to be in there.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not to defend Carfax, but if the place that is repairing the vehicle doesn't put the maintenance into a network system that Carfax can pull from, it will never come up. Could be the repair facility doesn't have a system that "touches" what ever Carfax pulls from. When I had some body damage repair done to one of my cars, it didn't show up on the Carfax, I asked the auto body place why and they said their system is "in house" for their tracking only and doesn't touch other system with data. Made sense to me. Obviously Carfax can pull from insurance and state systems because that information always seems to be in there.

Or to put it another way, CarFax is not God.

Maxx

Reaction score
The other day I was stopped at a red light when a Lady hit me in the rear doing 45klm and texting on her phone head down she totaled the car, I had $2080.50 damage, new pumper and tow hitch. When I drove away the engine light was on, I checked it with my Superchips flashcal and it was the 02 sensor 2/1 upstream I replaced it phoned the insurance claim up, and send them an E-mail with the info. They wrote me back and said they won't pay for that cause it's on the front I just replaced all the sensors 1month ago.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Dealership Horror Stories..

Are a Fact not a Myth.

Car Fax Reports are Hit or Miss…

More Miss than Hit in my opinion.

When buying a vehicle stick to the Blue Book values as the Dealership does and always assume something is wrong with the vehicle and remember it’s important to have a ( secondary) expert’s opinion.

As soon as anyone goes to a dealership to buy a vehicle they are going to bleed money, how much depends on the person.

In general I’ve worked at two and I have had nightmare experiences because I went through the jobs I had with my eyes wide open and I knew from those experiences what the owners and the managers are about and it’s predatory politics = bottom line MONEY

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I think it all depends who was writing the service summary for that day

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye